Can anyone name the successful Qbs this franchise has developed since 1960..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 30, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Green Bay certainly seems to have had their share: Bart Starr, Lynn Dickey, Don Majkowski, Brett Favre, and Aaron Rodgers. The Colts have been pretty lucky as well: Johnny Unitas, Bert Jones, Jeff George, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. The Niners haven't been too shabby with YA Tittle, John Brodie, Steve DeBerg, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia and Alex Smith. The Broncos fared pretty well also: Craig Morton, John Elway, & Peyton Manning. They've also had guys like Brian Griese, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler and Kyle Orton, who are better than most of the QBs in our history.

If there are truly many ways to find a good QB, the Jets FO has seemed truly oblivious to them. Perhaps you ought to let them in on the secret. ;)

2. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Did you just refer to Dicky and the Majic Man as franchise QBs? You clearly have far more loose standards than I do.

For me, a franchise guy is a franchise guy. A guy you build the franchise around for the better part of a decade, who can get you to a SB on just their arm. Talking Mannings, Bradys, McNabbs, Brees, Favres, Elways, Montana's, Youngs.... not Majic Man and Jeff Garcia. Those are in-betweeners. Nothing wrong with that, my whole post was praising in-betweeners and how you can win with them.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Chad was the man. My favorite Jet. He was my first taste of the Jets fan base being complete moron assholes. They did not know what they had in Chad. Then completely trashed his heart of a champion when he would be out there fighting, but his body just was not up to the task. However, he did go to Miami and win 11 games with a team that won only 1 a year before. He will always be a legend to me!

4. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Maybe half the team being injured and unable to play factored into it just a bit.

RPOZ51, nycarl and matt robinson 17 like this.
  5. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

This thread is sad as hell.

6. NCJetsfan

IMO there's a difference between a franchise QB and a HOFer. IMO a franchise QB is someone who is a quality starter for you and who will hold that spot for you for 7-10 years or more.

Dickey and Maj weren't at the level of Manning (Peyton) or Brady, but were certainly good enough to win and be above average starting QBs. They were franchise QBs imo. With better teams around them both Dickey and Maj could have won SBs.

7. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

How about that game in Tennessee two years ago that cost us Marcus Mariota? Still salty about it..

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

KOB was a wuss. There was a game against Miami & he was on the 5 yd line & saw he was going to get hit so he dropped to the ground instead of pushing on to the EZ.. I guess U have forgotten that play:mad:

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U are a silly billy & I also bet U never/ever saw JWN play in a game. :mad:

nycarl likes this.
  10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

x1000

11. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Perhaps you forgotten the Nine games he beat against Dan Marino versus the eight he lost? I defy you to name one other quarterback that played as well as Ken O'Brien did against Dan Marino-led Dolphins teams.

12. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

There's no concensus way you develop a QB, and what works for 1 QB won't work for another. and ther can be so many variables, from the players that play with them to the coaches that coach them.

The bottom line is wither the QB is going to be good, or he's not, and it's up to the QB. Luck could not be in a worse situation. his team would be 0-16 without him, yet he's still a good player.

13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I would hardly call Kenny O , a wuss. He was a fucking timex watch.

He took in consecutive years 62, 40, 50, 37 and 50 sacks.
    62 sacks in his second year and still played 8 more years.

Of course if he threw the ball away once in a while he could have avoided that, but he took a licking and kept on ticking.

14. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I think calling Richard Todd a success is a lot more controversial than O'Brien personally. Todd had two good years and was crap the rest of the time, a slightly better version of Sanchez.

15. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100%.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Todd was like Mark Sanchez with the early success of the team around him only to crash and burn... .I heard they did a segment awhile back on Todd and the only memorabilia he has in his house of his NFL playing days is a small 5 X 7 photo of Jets fans pelting him with snow after a loss. Idk if that story is true or not but I heard it

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Todd also beat up Steve Serby.

So he's got that going for him.

Which is nice.

nycarl and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

If you had taken the constant pounding he did, you'd have been running to the sidelines or hitting the dirt a lot sooner than O'Brien did.

19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I still remember O'Brien being benched one week, I believe for Pat Ryan. Ryan got hurt in the game and as Kenny was coming onto the field, Marv Albert said, "And here comes Ken O'Brien for his weekly beating."

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  20. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Chad was a winner because of what was between his ears, and between his jersey numbers. He was a tenacious competitor, humble and dignified win or lose. His arm died on him long before the compete inside him did. People who speak poorly of him don't know shit about football.

The Dark Knight likes this.