Do you trust management with a top 5 pick?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vokab206, Nov 27, 2016.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I disagree. You don't get an Adrian Petersen (my definition of a recent stud) in anything but the upper 1st round. Of course there's also no guarantees that Fournette or any draft choice will work out so it's not a slam dunk. But assuming they got him and he lived up to expectations, he would make a much bigger impact on the offense - of course assuming Bowles/Gailey use him properly.

Likewise there's no guarantee that Garrett works out, and I don't think he'll fall to the Jets in any case. Besides, good pass rushers are easier to find than RBs.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In what universe? Good pass rushers are not easier to find that RBs. That's ridiculous. It's very hard to find good pass rushers. They are the second hardest thing to find after good QBs. RBs are one of the easiest things to find. Every year there's a new RB or two who was taken in a middle or lower round, or even who was a UDFA and he winds up becoming a starter and very good RB, and that doesn't even take into consideration all those taken in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

3. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Sure there is, but you think YOUR going to be the team that finds the gem this year? I'd much rather take a solid bet like any of the top 3 RBs, than hope I am the lucky team that lands a Frank Gore.

4. NCJetsfan

I doubt that 3 RBs will go in the 1st round. Even if they do, chances are at least 1-2 of them will be in the teens or twenties. If the Jets want to trade down and take a RB, fine; otherwise, if there's a stud pass rusher or OT there at their pick, that's where I think the pick should go. As I said earlier, Bowles won't even start Petty over the awful Fitz. I seriously doubt he'd start a rookie RB over Forte even if he was the 1st round pick, and if one drafts a RB in the 1st round, he has to start.

5. ColoradoContrails

In this universe. Sure you can find "decent" RBs in any round, but I'm saying they need a STUD, which will make a huge difference in the offense, and those types of RBs are harder to find than good pass rushers. Or to put it another way: IMO a stud RB will make a bigger difference than a stud pass rusher or DB. I'm not saying that a stud pass rusher or DB won't make a difference, but that a RB will be a bigger plus.

6. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

Fir
    How could you justify taking a RB with all the needs this team has? This isn't 1993!

Stud pass rusher, OL, CB, or QB, stud WR.

This is a passing league. All first round picks should be designed to either pass the ball better or defend the pass.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I'd take a Vonn Miller over a stud RB every single time. An offense can still do very well with a very good RB, but a stud pass rusher can make the difference between winning and losing.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

A stud RB makes the passing game better - one, by keeping the defense guessing so they can't just pin their ears back and rush the QB; two, a stud RB can be a receiver and again, improve the passing game. In short, a good running game complements the passing game. I never said, nor would say, that the offense should revolve around a running game, but a good running game is key to a strong offense.

9. ColoradoContrails

Would you take a Vonn Miller over an Adrian Petersen?

And yes, an offense can "do very well" without a stud RB, but that offense most likely is run by a stud QB, which brings me back to my original point about the current Jets: they don't have now, nor will any time soon, have a stud QB, so having a stud RB to take some of that load off is more important IMO. Even getting a Vonn Miller wouldn't make their defense impregnable, like the '85 Bears, which is what they would need without a good QB.

Our disagreement may just be irreconcilable, but thanks for the POV.

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

in short, yes. though it is a close call, i believe u can find a RB talent that comes close enough to peterson's level just about anywhere in the draft. now before u say WTF is wrong with this guy - an effective RB for any given offense in todays NFL has to protect the ball, have decent perimeter speed, and get u 3-4 yards in the red zone on pure power, and block. now they aren't a dime a dozen but there is usually 1 or 2 in each draft that fits the bill.

the passing league we have has to be defended and the von millers dont come around every draft though many GM's think they do. thats why these guys are always drafted high and many higher than they should be but thats the rub. the game impact, overall, IMO is potentially more significant from a player like miller.

NCJetsfan and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I just liked a Jetfannerd post.

This is not okay.

12. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

A stud RB without good blocking in front of him is a waste of potential. The shelf life on most RBs is relatively short. You don't waste a high pick on a RB if your offensive infrastructure will force diminished returns. Case Studies: Elliott & Gurley.

13. ColoradoContrails

Well first let me say that IF a Vonn Miller type was available to the Jets at their position (and is Garrett at that level?), I wouldn't gnash my teeth if the Jets took him instead of, say, Fournette, but I don't think Garrett falls to them. I think Fournette will be there and would make as big an impact - if he's used properly - as Garrett.

The other point is that yes, if all you're going to expect from your RB is "3-4 yards in the red zone on pure power, and block", you can certainly find those types in lower rounds. But I think if you don't have a great QB who can take advantage of the newer passing-friendly rules, you can leverage a lesser skilled QB by having a great RB to take the pressure off the QB. Asking a mediocre QB to carry an offense is exactly what the Jets have been doing and look what that's produced. Unless they can get that great QB - which isn't going to happen any time soon - they need to do something different.

Finally, I do agree that the biggest impact they can make on "D" is to get an elite pass rusher, also something they've been lacking for some time. When you can pressure the QB, you immediately take pressure off your DBs and LBs, and they "magically" improve. So, if Garrett somehow is available to them, it's probably the safer pick, but failing that, I'd go with Fournette.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

got here late, I apologize if this has been brought up already:

If Jabril Peppers is sitting there when we pick, do we pass on such a talent?

Obviously, we've gone D the first round since forever, but should the Jets really pass up on (what appears to be) a slam dunk prospect?

15. ColoradoContrails

To me, Peppers is like Revis (in his prime) - a force to be reckoned with for sure, but not as big of an difference-maker as a great pass rusher or QB. And if you did get him, where would you play him, and do you trust the current HC to know how to best deploy him? If we already had the QB, Pass Rusher, OL problems solved, Peppers might be the guy to put them over the top. But on this team, in its current state, I think he would be wasted.

16. NCJetsfan

Yes. He has no position. His coverage skills are questionable and he has zero interceptions. He is a luxury pick and not someone that a team takes with a top 5 pick.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

There is always a team willing to move up to get their guy even in piss poor drafts like this one is shaping up to be at this point. You may not get the same deal but it can be done. Especially if the "value" in this draft turns out to be rounds 2-3-4.