Can anyone name the successful Qbs this franchise has developed since 1960..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 30, 2016.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Is this a trick question?

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

ERROR, page you are trying to reach cannot be viewed.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Ken O'Brien played for 10 years. He is a two-time Pro-Bowler, and was AFC Player of the Year in 1985. He threw for over 25,000 yards, and had a 126-99 TD-INT ratio. How you could not say that this is a successful NFL career is beyond me.

Imagine what O'Brien would have done in today's era of Pass Interference and Roughing the Passer?

#23 HackettSuxTNG, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

He just wasn't Dan Marino

Cman68 likes this.
  5. HackettSuxTNG

There were plenty of successful quarterbacks not named Marino.

6. HackettSuxTNG

7. matt robinson 17

10-1 till they turned back into the Jets that year

8. matt robinson 17

Preaching to the choir

9. HackettSuxTNG

Seriously, What kind of career would O'Brien have had if he played under today's passing rules?

10. matt robinson 17

Smart, strong arm, Walton ruined him by telling him to eat the ball rather than risk an int

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  11. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

You make it seem like every team is supposed to get a franchise QB every era.

Most teams have a couple in their entire history. There are only so many of those Mannings to go around. Bucs have never had a franchise QB. We HOPE we finally have our first. But we've been fooled many times before. Same with the Texans. The reality is that until your time comes to get one again (and who knows when that is) team make do with the in-betweeners like Chad Pennington. You grab guys like Fitz (or maybe Romo) and hope they can give you a Kurt Warner window for awhile. Or you draft a guy like Sanchez or Freeman and waste a few years before moving on. Maybe you get really lucky and draft a Dak or Wilson or Cousins late and they show up for you. Or maybe you sweep up a Tyrod Taylor and dust him off. Or some other teams cast off like an Alex Smith or Drew Brees, careful he could be a Brock.

There are many ways of going about getting a good QB for your franchise, and it could be for a short window or a long one.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

JWN the thread begins & ends with him. Ebery other QB IMHO has been just a weak shadow of JWN:mad:

nycarl and Section 336 like this.
  13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

KOB was a plain wuss & the BS U read thyat the Raiders were going to take him is also so much BS IMHO:mad:

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  14. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

If the thread was about QB's with losing records and more INT's than TD's, then yeah....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Kliff Kingsbury

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  16. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

If I am a KC fan I would have a way bigger reason to be pissed that my team passed on Marino for Todd Blackledge than the Jets ever should be for taking O'Brien. You could even say the Pats fucked up taking Tony Eason over both of them...

17. HackettSuxTNG

How can you possibly say that Ken O'Brien was a wuss considering the flat out beating he took because his offensive line had more holes than swiss cheese? I understand that you may like him, but I'm calling bullshit to anyone who says he wasn't tough.

#37 HackettSuxTNG, Nov 30, 2016
  18. HackettSuxTNG

Totally agreed. Ken O'Brien is labeled a "bust" only because he is compared to the three Hall of Fame quarterbacks taken in the same draft. But how about comparing him to the others taken in the same draft?

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. The surest way to get to and win a SB is with a great QB, but even great QBs sometimes never get there, and even when they do, it's because they have a great supporting cast - including COACHING. Everybody talks about Namath, but he was surrounded by some great players, and had a great coach. So the real focus needs to be on getting an above average QB, and surrounding him with talent. When Sanchez almost took the Jets to the SB he had a lot of outstanding talent to support him, but then what happened? The Jets allowed a couple to walk away, and a couple were hurt, and then all of a sudden The Sanchize became terrible.

Right now Joe Namath in his prime couldn't get the Jets to the SB, or maybe even the playoffs. And given the weak QB draft coming up, I don't think the Jets should look for their savior there. If I were the GM, I would hope and pray I can get Fournette, then look to shore up the DB, or if a stud pass rusher is available in Round 2, I would take him, and then draft DB, and finally look to unearth a rough gem of an OL later on. I wouldn't waste the money, and the development time on Romo or Cutler, but would look for an insurance policy at QB. If Smith is desperate enough, I would even sign him as a backup/insurance policy. And finally, and maybe most importantly, I would fire Chan Gailey or whoever is in charge of the game plans.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Ricky Ray, we hardly knew ye. He was born in Happy Camp and Cutler was born in Santa Claus.Conspiracy?

#40 jetophile, Nov 30, 2016