Cowher

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cmcm750203, Nov 29, 2016.

1. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Ive been strongly against him because I feel he's been out of the game too long and a lot has changed and I know a few others felt the same. Not that Woody would ever go that route but I am actually warming up to the idea only to have a guy who knows football in control and not have this ridiculous as rumored hierarchy that we reportedly have now.

We need a strong football mind in Macc's position. I'd be more than willing to have Macc as GM and some football czar above him but this shit needs to change. Honestly someone in the media needs to get proof of the Bowles reports to Woody crap and make a thing out of it to embarrass this imbecile into changing his ways.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

If a person has other employment options, and makes the conscious decision to work for Woody Johnson--- well, then you know that person isn't a good decision maker.

Cowher has many, many, many options available to him.

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He is comfortable doing his media gig....Him and Gruden have probably no interest in returning to the stressful life of coaching. Jets would be best served looking into Kyle Shanahan, who is one of the brightest and most creative offensive minds in the league, or throwing a blank check at Jim Harbaugh (but we all know that's not going to happen). We have 5 games left, if we lose out, I would not be at all surprised if Bowles is axed. Continuity is great but you can't hold on to failure just to say you gave it a shot to fix itself.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't see Cowher or Gruden working for the clueless tool that owns the Jets. Would you? They would demand sole decision making power and that Woody stay out of it. He'll never agree to that, even if Cowher or Gruden could guarantee that they'd turn the team around and build a SB winner. Woody's ego won't let him lose control of the organization.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If Cowher was legitimately interested, I would absolutely look into it if I was the Jets.

He's exactly what the entire board is looking for. An experienced coach with some pedigree. A coach with rings that would demand respect.

He would probably demand full control, which would leave Mac high and dry, but I would absolutely do that if he was interested.

kevda5n9ne and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Why not...nothing else has worked.

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Cowher would probably want control over personnel as well. That's probably a non-starter.

9. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

We need a leader of men as a head coach, I don't care what side of the ball he specialized on, but he needs to be a leader.

10. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Cowher has no interest in returning to coaching. Keep in mind, Cowher spoke with the Bills a few years ago and recommended Chan Gailey to them as head coach.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Every year his name comes up, here and elsewhere and every year he stays doing what he wants to do. I'm sure we wouldn't be the first to offer him a big buck contract but it's not what he wants apparently.

kevda5n9ne and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  12. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

A big no! Haven't we learned our lesson with conservative, defensive minded coaches? We need an offensive minded coach. Many of our best teams have had offensive minded coaches - Ewbank, Walton. Those teams were so much fun to watch and really successful. I'm so sick of relying on a running game and good D to try and win. BORING. We're the freakin' Jets for christ sakes. Play fast on O and put up points! Offenses win in the regular season - you need to score points. D can win in the post season, which we haven't sniffed in a while.

13. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

No Super Bowl winning coach has won a Super Bowl with another team. Simply put, once you've won, it appears impossible to find that edge in a new city. So I pass on Cowher, gruden etc....

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

But there's a bunch who've gotten close.

And at this point that'd be kinda nice.

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Pipe dream. Cowher ain't ever going to be interested in coaching this shit show of a team.

..and

Bowles won't be fired after this year anyway.

It's all for not and a waste of brain cells.

FJF and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Well, the closest is Weeb, who won an NFL championship in the pre-Super Bowl days, then won an AFL championship and a SB with our Jets.

Then you have Shula, who lost a Superbowl after taking over Weeb's Colts, then won some with Miami. Parcells and Holmgren did the opposite--won Super Bowls with their first team, then lost with their second. Anybody else merit consideration on that list?

Speaking of which--Holmgren meets all the requirements of my fellow TGG posters who are always crying for an experienced, offensive-minded HC with a winning record who might actually be willing to coach in the NFL.

He wouldn't make my short list by a long shot--but he might be the only guy available right now who actually meets those criteria.

Walt White and Jets_Grinch like this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Bruce Arians on the Jets sideline.

The chance of that happening?...I don't know.

Burnz likes this.
  18. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

The current hierarchy is a product of the problems created John Idzik and him trying to screw over Rex Ryan. I believe what we have now is because Woody is trying to be sure that Mac and Bowles are a TEAM. He wants to be sure they aren't working against each other.

In regards to Cowher, I have no doubt in my mind that Woody would completely excuse himself if Bill Cowher were to be hired. I believe he would do that if they hired a very experienced and SB winning HC like Cowher.............

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You're giving way too much credit to Cowher.

He's not that strong of a personality...or a football mind.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Honestlty i think firing Bowles would be a mistake.He went 10-6 last season and is on pace to finish 5-11 this year.Id give him one more year to see how he learns from this.You dont get better without failing first.