How would Jets fans react to a geniune rebuilding effort?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

As long as the Jets have fans stupid enough to publicly call for rookies to be cut for dropping passes the fan base will never sit still for a proper rebuilding.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

They would react fine as long as there were some tangible results, even if small at first. If they don't show steady improvement then the fans will revolt. You also need to have a lot of trust in the FO/talent evaluators' ability to draft/acquire/cut the right pieces to construct a long term winning foundation. The key is getting the right architect who has the foresight and the keen eye to put it together. Very hard to find that person.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

4. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Andy Reid is currently 38-19, since becoming head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, which is about three and a half seasons. The previous four seasons the Chiefs were 29-35. Some "rebuild" that was.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I'm fine with a rebuild, but the hard thing is to trust someone for like 2-3 years that they are doing the right things to get us there. Drafting IMHO is the most important thing a GM/coach needs to do well to show me that we're taking the right steps to rebuild. Next would be player development. We have been poor/below average at both those things since Parcells.

Right now though, even though we are not having a total meltdown, we have a lot of prima donnas on this team that need to be let go ASAP. I think we have a bad locker room and crap team culture. If Bowles is gonna stay here another year he needs to pull a Belichick and get rid of everyone who falls out of line with the culture/his style of coaching. Maybe then we can look like a "team" again.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yes there is, in a sense we are rebuilding already, but attempting to stay competitive. We aren't in cap hell, we have several outs for a Mo contract in a year or so, Revis will be gone soon as well. It was a shot at winning, but ultimately this season we flamed out. We will probably finish 4-12, and continue molding the team in Bowles / Mac eyes.

D-Line has Leonard Williams
    Linebackers have Lee, Jenkins and LM [inconsistent bunch but has the talent].
    Secondary needs to be rebuilt [coming draft]

QB - 2 potential young guys being groomed
    WR - Young talent
    O-line - Crap, but Winters has been solid this year. LT away from having a decent line again. Need depth
    RB - need youth [draft]

The draft this year I think will address and add more talent, we might not be good again next year, but I think a decent draft will have the arrow go back up. The key is not to fire everyone when things aren't going well. If one of the 2 young QB can play, then the arrow is shooting up.

FJF likes this.
  7. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

You want the answer? They won't react well.

Look at John Idzik.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We have been rebuilding for 50 years ....Another 3 years would be a miracle.

Jets69 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Idzik cut salary and drafted poorly. His lone good pick was Sheldon Richardson, and he's a strike away from a 4 game suspension. Idzik was building a dumpster fire, and Jets fans' rightfully called for his dismissal from the franchise. I'm perplexed when anyone would compare rebuilding to what Idzik was doing. The Jets need to purge themselves of all their bad contracts and move forward with a youth movement.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is right on the money. I100% correct. In todays NFL the general turn over rate of talent is 2-3 years. Having complete rebuilds is hardly ever achievable.
    All you need to be a successful franchise are 3 things
    1- First and foremost. A QB we can build the team around
    2- A savvy GM that knows how to run football operations and continuously feeds the system with talent through the draft and free agency.
    3- A coaching staff that that takes direction from the GM and knows what it takes to win
    Bonus
    4- An owner that supports his GM
    Look no further than the NE Patriots. Or the Steelers, or the Broncos. Even Dallas with his owner will do.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Hard to do a rebuild when you trade away picks for Fitzpatricks and Ryan Cladys.

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

IM IN sign me up.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

oh like we are not rebuilding after this dumpster fire ..please

Just provide results

We need a QB to build around and a Coach who is tough and not clueless The GM needs to learn but seems OK

till that happens I am more interested in my second favorite teams: Oakland and Dallas

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

woody set up the same power structure as the steelers and now everyone is pissed

Jets69 likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think fans can get behind it with a new QB like Hackenberg taking over. It won't be as stripped down as the Browns this year. I think being in New York, competitive rebuild is the way to go. Worked last year, failed this year with a brutal schedule, but the Jets can have a youth movement, build for the future, and still compete week in and week out in 2017. The expectations will be much lower, so a realistic (8-8) season will please most fans.

16. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Here's a secret ... "rebuilding" is simply getting a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback. If you have a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback, you're not rebuilding; you're in win-now mode. If you do not have a Pro Bowl caliber, you are rebuilding; whether you choose to call it "rebuilding" or not. If you declare yourself "rebuilding" and you get a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback in year one, then you're not rebuilding anymore. If you declare yourself to be on a "three year rebuilding" process and you don't get a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback in those three years, then guess what? You're still rebuilding in year four.

This league has changed so many rules to protect and favor superstar quarterbacks that you now cannot win without one. The only way you can do it without one is to have a historically significant defense (like the 2002 Buccaneers, or even last season's Broncos).

Therefore, I do not believe we should declare ourselves "rebuilding." Instead, I think we should do everything in our power to acquire a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback.

JetsUK, HomeoftheJets and Jets69 like this.
  17. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Again, there is a big difference between re-building and tanking.

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

can you really rebuild in this age of salary caps and limited term contracts?

basically you need to somehow get a good QB to build around and a smart HC and then you are pretty much set - without that nothing else is going to matter

ignore the order and without wanting to split hairs - this is a list of PFF's top 10 QBs over the last 10 years

1. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers - 1st round 24th pick

2. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts/Denver Broncos - 1st round 1st pick

3. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints - 2nd round

4. Tom Brady, New England Patriots - 6th round

5. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - 1st round 11th pick (sob - Jet's picked next)

6. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers - 1st round 4th pick

7. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks - 3rd round

8. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons - 1st round 3rd pick

9. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys - undrafted

10. Eli Manning, New York Giants 1st round 1st pick

the point is whilst the #1 overall pick is nice less than half this list is top 10 picks - we just need to get lucky and to have a smart coaching staff that knows how to get the best out of them :)

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Ha! I posted my post before I saw yours - I agree completely - the only problem is it is near impossible to "acquire" a pro bowl calibre QB - you have to grow your own and that is the single biggest failing of this organization since it was created as we have never managed to achieve this :(

Unhappyjetsfan likes this.
  20. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Jets fans would hate a legitimate rebuilding effort because our fan base always wants instant results. They would never get on board for something like that. After the first 4-12 season followed by a slow start in year 2 there would be fire the coach and GM threads, websites, billboards, flyovers. etc. The owner needs to understand that but press on with a legit rebuild anyway. And tune out all that noise. Have confidence in the guys he brought in, and go from there. Because a legit rebuild is exactly what this franchise needs.

I look at teams that have stuck with coaches for long periods of time like the Cowboys and Bengals for example. Ok, both coaches have plenty of faults (and both owners are the GMs), but look at the teams both guys have. Look at the players Marvin Lewis and Jason Garrett have. The owners and front offices took the time to rebuild the teams, and they have a direction they are going in, and they don’t get sidetracked.

Marvin Lewis has had one of the most talented rosters in the league. Yes, that team has underachieved in the playoffs and are having a bad year, but they have stability, and are consistently good because they are talented and have a direction.

Garrett, to a lesser extent, is in the same boat. The organization slowly rebuilt the team from the ground up with the O-Line, they knew what they were doing and didn’t panic and start firing people because they weren’t winning playoff games or not making the playoffs right away. Now look at what they have.

The Jets will never be able to build any long term success. Because when things start to not look good, they change directions. They quit. It’s all about instant results. They never play it out, they never trust the people they hire to get them through it.

When you hire and fire people all the time you have to keep changing the teams you have on the field, the type of players you’re looking for. The Jets have guys that fit Rex well, but maybe not Bowles so much and vise versa. That’s why I’m advocating giving this regime some time. I’m tired of always wanting to go in a different direction right away cause 2 years in we aren’t where everyone wanted us to be.

#40 kevmvp, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    FJF likes this.