Rebuidng the OL.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Garycs, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Garycs

Garycs Member

Maybe the biggest issue on the team heading into next year. Breno has to go and I'd like to see Shell at RT very soon. Winters has had a good year and needs to be resigned. Carpenter is fine. The 2 biggest question marks are center and left tackle. Not likely that Clady is back and there are no FA left tackles available unless you go old. Mangold is a big question mark. Johnson has played pretty well. Mangold is in the last year of his contract at 9+ million. Tough call but he probably gets this last year. Maybe Cam Robinson is the pick in April.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Shell was the guy that almost got Petty killed during the preseason.

joe, Peebag and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  3. Beki

Beki Active Member

Well, we will have issues with our OL in next offseason, that is sure.
    I think we will not exercise Clady's 10M option, Giacomini's salary is much higher than his performance (cut him ASAP) and Winters will be UFA. Plus, I really hope that Mangold's knee will be fine too, because signing 4 starters to the OL...

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Regardless whether Petty or Hack are starting or the Jets bring in another JAG vet, the OL has to be the Jets' #1 off season priority.

I think Mangold will probably be back. There are only a couple of scenarios where I couldn't see him back. One would be where due to age, injuries, or the Jets CS, he decides to retire, and even then, he has $9 million reasons to come back. He's have to haver a LOT of contempt and disrespect for Bowles to turn the money down. Now he might want to finish his career on a playoff team, but I don't think any team would give up much for a player his age and with his contract. The only other one is where the Jets decide that they don't want him back, but I can't see that. Particularly since both OT spots need upgrading, and with a chance (albeit probably small) that Winters might not be back, they'll want to keep the OL as stable as possible, and not have to focus all their efforts in FA and the draft on rebuilding the OL.

Thus, I think Mangold and Winters will be back. Even though Shell was/is a project, I don't hold out a lot of hope for him to ever be a quality starter at either OT position. Qvale and Ijalana are only average or below average starters imo, and Ijalana will be a UFA unless the Jets re-sign him. Unless Clady is willing to come back at a steep discount, I doubt he will be back. LT is definitely going to be a challenge next season. If Mac fails to address it adequately, it could be as damaging to his career as failing to find a QB. With it being a supposedly weak draft for OTs, next season could be lost before it begins.

Following are the LTs who could possibly be available as UFAs.
    Terron Armstead, Saints
    Cordy Glenn, Bills
    Andrew Whitworth, Bengals
    Matt Kalil, Vikings
    Marcus Cannon, Pats
    Riley Reiff, Lions
    William Beatty, Giants
    Bradley Sowell, Seahawks
    Jake Long, Vikings
    Tony Hills, Saints
    Mike Adams, Bears
    Sam Young, Dolphins
    Nick Becton, Bears
    David Quessenberry, Texans

The potential RT UFAs are as follows.
    Ryan Schraeder, Falcons
    Sebastian Vollmer, Pats
    Andre Smith, Vikings
    Gosder Cherilus, Bucs
    Mike Remmers, Panthers
    Byron Bell, Titans
    Jordan Mills, Bills
    Matt McCants, Raiders
    Marshall Newhouse, Giants
    Menelik Watson, Raiders
    Eric Winston, Bengals
    Jeff Linkenbach, Jags
    Bryce Harris, Jags
    Don Barclay, Packers
    Earl Watford, Cardinals
    Ricky Wagner, Ravens

I'd be surprised if Armstead, Glenn, Whitworth or Schrader are available. Looking at the rest, I don't know many of those names, but looking at what many of them are being paid this season, they're 2nd and 3rd stringers with their present clubs, so don't know if we can count on finding much, if any help from among them. Mac should have addressed the OT spot last year or in this year's draft.

nycarl and tomdeb like this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We need 2 tackles. i can live with the interior as is even with Johnson at center

TwoHeadedMonster and Big Cat like this.
  6. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This is the most egregious mistake Mac made during the offseason. Come hell or high water, Mac SHOULD have utilized a 1st or 2nd rounder on a Tackle or Guard. Drafting Darron Lee and Christian Hackenberg was a complete waste of time. Darron Lee sucks and gets manhandled by big OL. Christian Hackenberg will NEVER develop into anything other than a complete waste of money.

And really if anyone is wondering WHY this team is as bad as it is when virtually everyone thought this team was playoff bound? Look no farther than the OL. Football games are won/lost in the trenches and the OL is well, OFFENSIVE. So Mac bears a lot of responsibility for the 2016 debacle. Now I don't necessarily advocate he should be fired, but he certainly should NOT be making shit for brains decisions in drafting a Safety to play linebacker and an experimental QB when there were a million very good solutions for the OL in this last draft. Mac could have traded up and gotten one of the top OL, he could have traded down from 20, accumulated MORE picks and taken the Indiana Tackle in the 2nd round. Mac needs to know that he fucked up hiring Todd Bowles and in how he handled the draft.

tomdeb likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I haven't given up on either Lee or Hack. Lee has made some very good plays this season and has a ton of potential, but an LT was more important. Since he realIy liked Hack, I can't blame him for rolling the dice.

I do agree that Mac should have taken a LT in the draft this year at a minimum, if not both an LT and a RT. He did try to trade up for Tunsil. He thought a 1st, 2nd and 4th was too costly to get Tunsil. I agree. I agree that he should have tried to trade down or up and get the Indiana LT (Jason Spriggs). Failing that, he could have tried to trade up in the 3rd to get LeRaven Clark, but maybe he though that Clark would drop to him (and he almost did, the Colts took him the pick just before). Whatever, he should have come out of that draft with the Jets LT of the future and he failed. IMO if he thinks Shell is their LT of the future then he really fucked up. This might be where Mac might take his philosophy of building the OL with mid-, lower-round draft picks and FAs too far, but I think he was really counting on Clady staying healthy and giving the Jets at least two years of quality starts, and hoped that Giacomini/Qvale/Ijalana could hold down the right side. Regardless, he needs to learn from this. I just hope we aren't screwed for next season.

IMO he didn't need to take an OG. Carpenter is very good and they believed in Winters (rightfully so).

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

I like to see the OL as a priority this offseason. If we are going to stand a chance developing a young QB it is going to have to behind solid protection and an effective running game. I'm afraid this FO will do what the previous one, and before that did. Keep throwing picks away toward defensive players, and scrape the bottom of the barrel for other players. Id rather piece together a defense and spend money and picks on good college talent for the offense. We have been doing the same thing for the last 6 years and have gotten no where.

Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Holy shit, the needs on this team are piling up. Mac has to address O line early - maybe even with his first 2 picks. LT for sure in round 1 or 2. Definitely a high pick on a CB and a pass rushing LB as well - without even mentioning they have no clue WTF they have at QB. But yeah, keep playing Fitz because that's going to help.

Peebag, richieC and nicg4360 like this.
  10. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Glory Be, we got rid of Kellen D. Hallejuhah!!!!!!!

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Mac should check out the cowboys and see what a real OL can do for a rookie QB

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Start with the left tackle, then center ... if you can find 2 of those starters via draft / fa, the line will be better. I think we can plug one of the guys on the current roster at RT going forward.

LT, C, CB, FS hopefully in some sort of fashion this coming draft

Red Menace likes this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

good--don't take a QB or DL, We got two young QBs already we need to look at.

14. Pothead

Pothead Member

Really? Shell is part of your solution? I'm ready to see shell go home to become Art Shells caretaker. He has no business on an NFL roster. Only starters that stay are winters and carp. Let everyone else go or slide back into their back up roles. Mangold needs to retire.

Peebag likes this.
  15. In a perfect world, the Jets re-sign Winters & he transitions to Center for Mangold,who retires. Jets seem better served to improve the OL in the guard market rather than Center or Tackle.This would potentially improve 2 positions...as many on here have identified Winters as a potentially very good Center w. his skill set.

I think a good LT could be a realistic get in free agency. Kalil,Armstead or the likes. RT is not as sure of a bet. I keep Qvale & Shell around for the time being. Shell looked pretty awful in the preseason..but he was clueless w. technique. He has decent feet,bend & is strong.He could look like a completely different player come OTA's.Qvale is a hold the fort...if he's healthy. Perhaps a plug & play OT capable of playing the right side would be a good trade down in the 1st option or early 2nd.There are always a few OL who don't show their value till post senior Bowl/combine...It's just the nature of the position & evaluation process. There will be some decent big guys to sort through come April.It's taking one that I worry about.

16. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I don't care what we have on our roster after seeing what some of these young kids are doing for their franchises. If there is a stud prospect sitting there you take him and don't think twice. Jets haven't had a franchise QB since Namath you really think after all these decades we'll suddenly have too many good QBs??

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

Best move Mac has made all year!

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

understand and appreciate your position, BUT no QB will succeed unless/until we rebuild the OL. THAT is why Dallas QB prescott is sucessful--a great OL =running game and plenty of pass protection.

Peebag likes this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

The Jets will f around and draft Jabrill Peppers.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think we need to add edge rusher to that list. The offensive line prospects don't look so hot right now, but I am positive they can grab a good one in the 2nd round. I think we keep who we have at QB, unless the Jets fall in love with a QB.

Jetmart15 and tomdeb like this.