Why the Jets drafted Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 8, 2016.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

40 years of nothing but a cesspool at the position and then we find 2 franchise QBs at the same time??? just a bit unlikely...

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Totally unlikely, but we're due some luck/good fortune.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Then the one we trade, goes on to win the superbowl with their new team ...

Peebag and NY Jets68 like this.
  5. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

And then we sign him back to a huge deal and he suffers a knee injury.

6. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Sure, but I'm just saying, that is Hackenberg's potential. If we play our cards right we can get that kind of production out of him. He can find the open man and has a big arm. If the coaching staff can get his accuracy consistent we might have our guy.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I remember a game when Geno Smith had a perfect quarterback rating. Which is as relevant as this six month old article. Other than the mention that Petty was on the team, what gives a reader the idea that a comparison is being made and the outcome is predetermined?

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Oh, so we are supposed to believe Bowles knows anything about QBs now, based on what his continuous use of Fitzpatrick or maybe it was using Smith as a starter in whatever week that was.

TNJet likes this.
  9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, Hackenberg's abilities and consistency are about 100 times more important than how we play our cards.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

You have no idea, champ, how things would have worked out if things were reversed (none of us do) so give it a rest. With this CS, even if we had taken Dak, he might be at the same place Hack is now, and if Dallas had taken Hack, he might be playing at the level of or close to that of Dak.

TwoHeadedMonster and Red Menace like this.
  11. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I get that you are heavily in favor for Hack. Why I don't understand. He was a total reach in round 2, and that is just considering his college stats. Petty was a much better QB in college. Definitely appears to be better now.
    Rather than rip the coaching staff, why not put the blame where it needs to be. Mac shit the bed by taking Hack too early, then over pays for Fitz. Looks like Dallas drafted the right guy in round 4, where as we got the worst one in round 2.

12. NCJetsfan

Actually, I'm not heavily in favor of Hack. What gives you that idea? I actually would prefer for Petty to work out even if he's older.

That said, stats don't tell the whole story. Hack was running a pro style NFL-type offense at a high level at age 18. He was reading Ds, going through his progressions and winning. He has prototypical size and arm strength. He's very smart.

I rip the CS because they deserve it. They suck. If Hack doesn't pan out, then it doesn't matter what round he was taken in, it would be too early. If he develops and pans out, it won't be too early. If Hack doesn't pan out, I'll give Mac a hit for missing on Hack, but as I've stated before, when you're in the position the Jets are in where it's basically been 40 years since you've really had a franchise QB that you drafted (if you don't count Kenny O), and your D is good enough that you probably won't be drafting anywhere near where the topflight QBs go in round 1, then you have to get creative and take some chances. We all know that no GM is gonna last long if he doesn't find a QB. So I won't kill Mac if he misses on Hack.

And what I said earlier is the truth imo. Dallas obviously has a better CS, they have the top OL in the NFL, have a solid receiving corps, and have a great RB. Dak was in a situation where he wasn't asked to do too much initially and was in a great situation. You put him on the Jets with this CS, and he could easily have been a bust. He might have excelled in spite of them, but there are no guarantees. Hack has the intelligence, ability and arm talent that in Dallas' lineup and situation, he might be thriving as well.

#32 NCJetsfan, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    pdxdrew, Freddy Mondo, nycarl and 2 others like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

There is a strong correlation between those 2 factors. Qb cannot thrive without an environment to succeed in. That's on the coaching staff. At the same time Hack needs to become a more accurate qb.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If the f.o. and c.s. think hack is the franchise they better show it during the offseason. every move should be taylored to making sure hack has the best chance to succeed. get his lt for the next 10 years. get a rb that can take the pressure off for the next 4 years. keep the wr corps intact for another yeae so he has familiarity. if he fails ok try to find another but i want to see that the organization understands the importance of building around the qb. i don't feel like we have ever had that

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Because there was plenty of booze and numerous lines of coke in the "war room" and they weren't going to do themselves. By the time everyone in the F.O. came to it was Saturday and they had to play catch up for the last two days of straight BS selections just like every year.

16. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm still concerned about a QB with "accuracy" problems. It's like hiring an Indycar driver with "steering" issues.

TNJet, JetsNation06 and Cman68 like this.
  17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

If we hadn't picked him so incredibly early what round do you think he actually would have been picked. I say 5th rd.

tbruner12 likes this.
  18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Look at how much better Penn State is this year without Hack. Just saying.

tbruner12 and TNJet like this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Not a reflection on Hack

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Do you think before you post? Or just shootout whatever bullshit is flowing through your head at the moment?