Head coaches moving forward

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Todd Haley fits the mold as an experienced coach and the fact that he is an offensive minded HC is the bonus.

Bowles has to go that much is certain. If the ineptitude on the field wasn't the final straw than the reports of Wilk and Sheldon constantly missing meetings certainly is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets_Grinch and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I disagree. Both this year and last year, the team is showing up to games very noticeably unprepared. That's on Bowles, not the players. Also, while Revis has lost several steps, there doesn't seem to have been any adjustments made to compensate for that; the safeties are never in position to help over the top, there's no aggressiveness from the front 7, and nobody in general is being used to their best potential. This is practically the same defense we had last year, but this year, they're ineffective. That tells me that the gameplanning

Also, while Fitzpatrick is the one throwing INTs, he's not the one calling an extremely predictable and very cowardly offense. He's not the one who punts on 4th and short when down 2 scores in the 4th quarter. He may be throwing the INTs, but he's not the one leaving himself in the game after 6 INTs, and not even trying out the rookies. Bowles started Geno Smith because Fitzpatrick was a disaster; Smith goes down, and then Bowles acts like the ONLY option is to go right back to Fitzpatrick. Um, hello? If he's not going to do the job right, can't we see if one of the other QBs can?

I agree that it's not usually a recipe for success to jettison a coach at the first weak season; but you can usually tell the difference between a good coach going through a rebuilding year, and a coach who clearly does not possess the capacity to lead a team. Bowles can't plan and adjust in a game, make competent personnel decisions, develop young players, or have the balls to play to win rather than not to lose. His team has regressed greatly in his second year, and honestly, there's no excuse for THIS much of a backslide. He'll probably get one more year, but honestly, I don't think he deserves it.

Freddy Mondo and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

Agree 100%.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Offensive minded Coach or disciplinarians:

Coughlin
    Gruden
    Harbaugh
    Shanahan

I think Macagnan can and should be researching a Plan B

Coaches are always being hired and fired

So will Bowles end up a Del Rio??? I doubt it

Jmho

5. Pothead

Pothead Member

Coughlin or Herm are my lead dog, as I have been saying for a long long time...... this team lacks discipline. Mcdaniels and patrica also contenders, I don't believe they take much shit from players.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

haha..which Harbaugh, the one already making 9M a year at Michigan? Or the one that is still employed and probably going nowhere?

7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I agree. Bowles has SUCKED this season. He can't seem to make simple decisions correctly.

8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I would consider giving Coughlin a go. He''s old school and would whip their butts into shape. This team needs a short term solution at this point.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Coughlin should not even be considered an option. He is too old and was losing it so much his last couple years with the Giants he made some of the worst time management decisions to cost them multiple games. No thanks.

How can people forget how poorly he coached the Giants last year? One of the Jets wins was a result of his incompetence

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. Slagan7

Slagan7 Member

I agree that Coughlin is too old, But I think most people would point to Jerry Reese for not opening the check book and putting players on that defense. Look how much they spent on defense after Coughlin is gone.

11. Slagan7

Slagan7 Member

I agree that Coughlin is too old, But I think most people would point to Jerry Reese for not opening the check book and putting players on that defense. Look how much they spent on defense after Coughlin is gone.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This team needs someone like a Jim Harbaugh or Bill Cowher.

13. Pothead

Pothead Member

Give Herman Edwards the world to leave ESPN and rejoin his club.

14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Maybe Brees retires and Saints fire Sean Payton..... :rolleyes:

15. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Todd Haley is an intriguing name for a team looking to make a change. He has really turned his coaching career around after the shit storm in KC and early issues in his current role with Pittsburgh.

16. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with hiring new coaches, but (1) the roster needs to be stocked with durable talent that can mitigate strategic errors, and (2) the coach needs to learn and adapt. Here, there's an open question about the talent as there's definitely pieces, but on the second point, Bowles might be too rigid to adapt.

I think Bowles has one more year to earn his job. But, if we're talking candidates, I think that Scott Linehan might have earned himself another shot with how he's handled Dak and the Cowboys offense. Bill Musgrave is on the younger than I'd prefer (48), but he's done a great job the past two years in Oakland.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

17. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

are you Ispokepot? you have to be

HomeoftheJets and Pothead like this.
  18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I feel like this team has adopted the laid back - quiet - non-fiery approach that Bowles personifies. I haven't really come to a definitive decision as to whether I think he should be fired or not because I fear if he does get fired then we may turn into the Browns with a constantly revolving door at coach, but Bowles has certainly done absolutely zero to help his cause.

If Jets do fire Bowles, I would like the Jets to go after someone with NFL coaching experience, and preferably an Offensive minded coach.

19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

What gave it away? Damaged brain cells? Lack of reading comprehension? Inability to accurately describe what happened? Juvenile attitude? Alternative picture?

20. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

It'd be really stupid to fire Bowles. If you bring in a new HC, they would not be interested in Petty or Hackenberg so you've essentially wasted those picks. Next year, don't bring back Fitz and see if Hack or Petty or whatever shows promise; if it's a total disaster then move on after that 3rd year. Generally a bad idea to move on from a HC after just 2 or 3 years, that's what the bad teams do.

Mogriffjr likes this.