Forté on first down

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Oct 26, 2016.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Watching the game on Sunday, it seemed like every first-down play was a run by Forté. I thought I'd look into the numbers to see if it was as bad as it seemed...

Incredibly, it was. The Jets ran 27 first-down plays. Nineteen were runs and sixteen of them went to Forté. In other words, 60% of our first down plays were Forté runs.

The second impression I got while watching the game was that Forté was stuffed for a short gain almost every time. Again, this was an accurate impression. Considering anything less than a four-yard gain to be a poor outcome, Forté had ten such plays, including four plays where he got just a single yard and two negative-yardage plays.

On first down, Forté had 16 carries for 51 yards, with a 3.2-yard average. On other downs he had 14 carries for 49 yards and a 3.5-yard average. He had just three really productive runs on first down (two eight-yarders and an 11-yarder) all game.

Bilal Powell was no more effective on first down (two carries for just six yards), but he totaled four carries for 18 yards (a 4.5 average) over the whole game.

I have no problem at all with pounding the ball on the ground if we're getting good results, and I don't care how old a running back is if he's getting the job done, but Forté is not getting the job done. Why are the Jets being so stubborn in feeding him the ball this much? And what does Powell have to do to get more touches - he looks far more explosive than Forté.

Am I missing something here?

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

IMO this type of analysis is only good if you can compare to the rest of the league somehow.

It doesn't sound good, but what does everyone else do? I also kind of disagree that running for 3 yards on 1st down is "poor".

2nd & 7 isn't a bad situation, neither is 3rd and 4 if you want to continue that into 2nd down for a 3 yard run.

I would like to see more passes or play action on 1st down.

Burnz and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

It was return to ground and pound because the quarterback (Geno) is not trusted. I think the coaches felt the Jets would win this game if they simply kept turnovers to a minimum. So it was an ultra conservative game plan. Boring and predictable, but the grind it out approach worked.

Powell would have seen more carries but once Geno was injured he became the backup QB so they didn't want to risk losing him as well.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

His name is Chan Gailey. He's our Offensive Coordinator who lately has become very offensive. He's extremely predictable. he'll either go run happy or pass happy. He'll pass on 3rd and 1, but run on 1st and 10. You may have noticed our RZ inefficiency lately. You may also have noticed most of the time we're running the ball into the pile over and over expecting a different result. Now with our return to FitzTragic, you'll see more of the Chan Gailey we've all come to our wits end over. No deep passes due to no arm strength. No deception, No imagination. Just stick to the plan and hope for the best. It should be enough to be Cleveland and LA, but it will bite us in the ass beyond the bottomfeeders.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Pothead

Pothead Member

Forte got it done against Baltimore. Should work out fine against some of these weaker opponents. When New England comes around he expecting the hard play action on first down.

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we are predictable. trying to gain positive yards on 1st down and no faith in your QB leads to that. even 2-3 yards on 1st down is better then an incompletion or turnover

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Will you be at the game talking shit?

Pothead likes this.
  9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Powell needs more touches. He's so fuckin under utilized.

Burnz and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Agree and he has a better burst and speed then forte...imo.

11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Remember the old days when C-Mart would run it on 1st and 2nd down the entire game? Didn't work so well in the first quarter, but half way through the 3rd, those 3-yard runs would turn into 8 yard runs, and by the end of the game we had 150+ on the ground.....

The Baltimore game wasn't quite like that--but it had that feel. Old football still works, it's just harder than new football.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

When you have an OLine that can open holes and block downfield, its all good.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I never heard of a running back who is pretty good being your back up QB

Makes no sense...but oh wait these are the Jets

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Check out @BrianCoz's Tweet:

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Not cool.

16. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

Remember Shottenhiemer running Thomas Jones on every mother loving first down!?

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Time to sign Karlos Williams off the Steelers psquad?

No Fly Zone likes this.
  18. Pothead

Pothead Member

Lure foster out of retirement.

#18 Pothead, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  19. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

That's a really interesting, and disturbing, stat with the first down runs.

It's like this guy comes up with an order of pass/run plays before the game and goes with it the entire game.

The game in AZ it was pass, run, pass probably about 75 percent of the time. You could pretty much get up and grab a beer/take a piss before 2nd down because you knew all you were going to miss was a 2 yard run.

20. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I think this gas more to do with our oline blocking poorly in the run game. For as good as they've been in pass pro, they've been equally as bad in run blocking.