Geno to be named starting QB, per Schefter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Okay - keep believing that.

Even if the Jets intended on paying him 12 million all along (which they didn't), it doesn't change the fact that paying him that much was a HUGE mistake that almost 50% of this fan base knew, but so called expert talent evaluators couldn't figure out.

FJF likes this.
  2. ScipioAfricanus

ScipioAfricanus New Member

Dude - it's just sports...... your hatred is borderline irrational.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Well he does not throw a good deep ball at all. I can't remember any particular passes in which he hit a streaking receiver. Fitz obviously can't do it either, but Geno has no touch on deep balls he just airs it out. What's frustrating about Fitzpatrick is that it looks like he tries to throw the perfect ball in terms of touch without putting his body and legs into the throw, because at times he looks like he has the arm.

I mean damn. We have one quarterback who badly overthrows deep balls and one who drastically underthrows receivers. I like the way Geno fires the ball right into the gut of the receivers. He's solid in that 10-20 range. You're right though, a lot of his interceptions play to his ineptitude to read the defense and he sure loves throwing those patented pick 6's on routes in the flat. The guy has all the arm talent in the world to be a competitive and competent NFL quarterback, but I just don't think the brain will ever be there.

I hope he turns it around. I just don't foresee it happening, especially with the god awful game plan we've had. 2 yard run up the middle, 1 yard run up the middle, telegraphed screen pass and a booming punt is usually how it goes. What the hell happened to our screen game and those level routes over the middle that worked so well last year?!

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's simply the quarterback market. Maybe signing Hoyer would've been the better play, but when Chase Daniels is getting $7 million/year to be a backup, extremely injury prone RG3 is getting $7.5 million and Chad Henne is getting $4.5 million to solely be the backup, $12 million for a year as the second or third lowest paid starting quarterback not on their rookie salary is not really a stretch. Not to mention it was really $7 million this year and $5 million deferred to next year if I remember correctly.

5. ToddNoBowles

ToddNoBowles Member

As much as I didn't want Fitz back the Jets had to bring him back and the way Mac handled the situation is one of the main reasons I don't have a pitch fork out on him right now.

The only thing worse than what we're going through as fans right now would've been if they were just as bad and did not resign Fitz. All the talk would've been how stupid they were for not bringing back the QB. It probably would've doomed Macs time here.

6. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

He is the very example of a locker room cancer. Perhaps, you should study up on how a cancer can affect a locker room. Then you might realize that you are the only one that is being irrational. Geno Smith is a ****ing punk.............

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I guess we know whose girlfriend Geno sent that dick-pic to now.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think @hornblower explained it perfectly:
    Like I wrote earlier AT BEST the Jets are (2-4) with Geno in this stretch. Probably (0-6) but you never know how a QB can change a game. So if that was the case and the Jets had not signed Fitz, it would look terrible on the organization and many fans like me would have wondered "Where would we be with Fitz?" And my thoughts would have been (3-3) or (4-2). Clearly I overestimated his ability, but many factors play in to the Jets being (1-5).

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think you need to add a keyword and that is MIGHT. Fuck the media dude. Jets need to do what they need to do to get answers.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

ok keep denying facts that everyone knew because you want to be a jerk.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-quarterback-three-year-contract-offer-052716

coming off his season where he was a top 10 QB in every category and won 10 games, paying 12 mil which is bottom 20% of all NFL starting QBs is a hell of a bargain. In hindsight his poor play and benching doesn't justify the 12 mil, but nobody predicted such a drop off in performance.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

actually, more than a few times, regression to the mean came up whenever discussion about fitz took place. So i wouldn't say nobody predicated such a drop off. In fact I'd say many here are not surprised at all about where we are

12. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes. Geno got two seasons and demonstrated for all to see that, when he plays, he's the worst starting QB in the NFL (by almost every statistical metric available). The possibility exists that either Petty or Hackenberg could potentially be "not the worst starting QB in the league," so by definition they are at least as good as (and possibly better than) Geno.

Also, you sound like an imbecile when you said Geno has had some success in the NFL. He has had none.

13. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

So you don't count an eight win rookie season or a game with a perfect passer rating against a team that had something to play for success? Ok.

14. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

They actually finished 8-8 and we're in contention for the playoffs (still needed a miracle, but did need to win).

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

1) Quoting an article from May, that claims an UNNAMED source is not evidence that they wanted to pay him 12 million a year all along, especially when it admit previously reported amounts were closer to 7 million.

2) Instead of just looking at stats, how about looking at the actual play of Fitz, there were stretches where his play was not only not stellar but was pretty shitty.
    He stats look a whole lot better than he really played, and aside from the TD's his stats aren't that great.

3) You are a douchebag.

16. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Stokes

17. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

We're 1-5 and whilst we hoped for better thats kinda around where we thought we might be and as much as that has sucked - I don't think it would of been any different with Geno out there (after all he tends to choke against the Bills) and having Hack one hit away from being rushed into action wouldn't exactly help the nerves.

18. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Tell me how much respect Fitz got from his teammates after KC game? I'll bet the blow up was over Fitz. As far as Fitz being so smart? Why does he stare his receivers down? Why does he turn the ball over so much? Why doesn't he slide? The reason Fitz gets the ball out of his hands so fast he knows he can't throw it more then 40 yards. Plus if he so smart why does he make rookie mistakes still?

19. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

The system is the reason why he stares down receivers. It's a one read system with him

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Hah! You were here earlier this season weren't you? You got kicked out in about a week, didn't you?