"Paging Woody Johnson.. Green Phone on the left..."

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 18, 2016.

1. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

And when he's shit-canned will definitely not have 4 playoff wins either...

TNJet likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Casserly was not a very good GM. Wolfe was a great GM, but I believe is in his 70s. Even if he had the desire, I have strong doubts as to how effective he would be. It would take more time and energy than he has to give, and the game may have passed him by, as it has with so many others at his age.

westiedog1 and Red Menace like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

What kind of agenda would they have had and why?

I was wrong about Mac not hiring Bowles. Even though he was only hired himself one day before Bowles, he supposedly spent the day with Bowles and hired him. Now that may have been at Woody's orders or request, if for no other reason than fear that they'd lose out on both Bowles and Quinn, if they waited for Quinn (who supposedly was their first choice), but another poster or two clarified that Mac did indeed hire Bowles.

I don't remember the team President's name, but he isn't a football man. Woody always hires a real estate man, or bean counter, or business-type to run the team. That's at the crux of our problems. He needs to find and hire a topflight, experienced football man and let him run the show, but Woody's ego would never let him do that. The same goes with an experienced HC. An Andy Reid, Cowher, Gruden, or Harbaugh would want complete control. Woody would never give him that.

We're screwed and doomed to go through the same continuous cycle.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I could be wrong but didn't Casserly damn near destroy the Redskins when he was GM?

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Cman68

Their Legacies my dear Watson... Casserly and Wolf both are yesterday's NFL and they are on the way out. I think the League recommended both of them to Woody so this was their last chance at making an impact on the league. Unfortunately for us, Casserly wasn't a great GM to start with and Wolf's day had come and gone. Woody listening to two has beens for advice was doomed from the start.

Fact is, we have the worst Org Chart in the league and it shows in our personnel decisions both on the field and off. Paul Glat counts the receipts but not involved in much else. The biggest problem with the New York Jets is the Owner of the New York Jets. Woody Johnson might end up as reviled as Guitar Jimmy Dolan.

Donttasemebro and TNJet like this.
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Hmm so a year later and an awful start and Bowles needs to go, players suck, ownership is awful...either the problem is and was there for YEARS or it wasn't. We can't choose when and how to pick this narrative. Was last year a fluke? To me you can't say you liked the Bowles hire then say we haven't hired someone with experience since parcells and that's a reason for ineptitude now...

APK 8 likes this.
  7. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Name those big money coaches with a track record of success and want to come here? And if retired want to come back to coaching.

Tom Coughlin or is there also an age restriction

8. NCJetsfan

I think you're right. That's why I wasn't happy with Casserly advising Woody, even if he is on the NFL developmental committee who is supposed to find and help develop young coaches and GMs.

9. NCJetsfan

Your perspective is obviously very limited. The two things are not mutually exclusive. What excellent experienced HC was there available last offseason that the Jets could have hired? There was no Andy Reid available. There only choices were to go with an experienced HC who was a failure in his previous HC gig, hire a collegiate HC who had no NFL experience, or hire the best NFL coordinator who was a "hot" candidate and hope for the best. Of all those options, imo hiring Bowles or Quinn were the best the Jets had available. Had Andy Reid or Harbaugh of Michigan been available, one of them would have been our best option.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. Your 100% right. We don't always agree...but we are totally on the same page w. this. Woody keeps trying to pile shit on top of more shit. It's all about trying to keep a positive poise to sell tickets & promote the brand. He always gives in to pressure..and his power moves have been utterly awful.

The execs need to stay in the board room & figure out how to lure back an extremely battered fan base who deserve better.Also..how bout getting on a stadium of our own;A significant but often overlooked crutch.

Get smart,credible,reputable football people in place who will give this football operation an identity & ultimately respectability.

11. Turd McGurkin

Turd McGurkin New Member

"Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly?"...........Bill Belichick's incredibly accurate quote.
    Answer: Only Woody "Black Knee Socks" Johnson

Donttasemebro likes this.
  12. Sorry but Casserly was a fine GM & well respected scout. Bellichick also claimed later in that SAME quote that Casserly has never even seen an NFL practice. Except for the fact before he was even a GM he was one of the Redskins main scouts..including for many successful winning teams.

If you wanna say he was the wrong guy to go to for help..fair enough..but don't be quoting football's equivalent to satan for anything. He maybe successful...but at what cost? Not one I wanna be apart of. If anything..if Casserly & BB are enemies...I like involving Casserly all the more. Screw that vindictive,paranoid, cheating sociopath up north.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Wednesday, November 9th, 2016 -

Assistant: "Mr. Johnson, you have a call incoming from Mr. Trump. Would you like to take it?"

Woody: "Donald Trump!?"

Assistant: "Yes."

Woody: "Well, this is quite a surprise. Send it over."

Donald Trump: "Woody...*heavy sniffs* Now that my election is over and crooked Hillary has become President I want to shift gears back to what I have always desired...Owning a NFL team. Believe me, Woody, I want to grab your team by the pussy and make the Jets great again. I want to buy the team off you right now and make a deal you absolutely will have to take it."

Woody: *Ponders decision*

14. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give up mac yet of course but this team is definitely poorly coached...Woody should basically tell Macagnan it's his decision if Bowles should stay, and the decision should be NO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Let's be fair here, Rex changed the culture and fan base with his "comedy" when he first got here and brought us to back to back AFC title games, a big feat for a team like this, for once we were a force, even if it fell apart later on... That was the most success and excited our fan base had been in decades.

Bowles hasn't done anything close to that. He lacks emotion, seems stubborn and hasn't done anything positive for this team honestly.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That would be awesome.

17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Well, if we had Trump as our owner, we would not lose all the time at the negotiating table with bad deals!
    We would not have lost out on the West Side Stadium just to take the Metlife deal.
    We would not have been taken advantage of by Fitz, right?

18. Cman68

Ok.. I'll say it: Last year was a fluke created by a soft schedule. We really haven't hired anybody with experience as an HC since Parcells and Hess did that hire, not Woody. Woody has not hired any established HC for reasons only he knows. Perhaps its a control thing as Woody isn't about to let football people actually run this football team. Woody hires, Woody fires.. Woody is the boss. Team President Paul Glat counts the receipts but doesn't do much else that we know of. Mac gets the contracts signed. Perhaps TB moves the chess pieces on the board. There's your NYJ Org Chart folks for better or worse.

Donttasemebro and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. Cman68

We might be a bit short on cheerleaders though... :)

Section 336 likes this.
  20. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Casserly has 1 SB as GM and 2 as assistant GM. I would call that a damn good GM. Plus he won them with 3 different QB's.

NYJetsO12 likes this.