Bench the Beard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Oct 2, 2016.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

You just gotta make the move and then take it from there.....If you're that worried that Geno will be even worse than how Fitz is playing right now then he shouldn't be on the team, much less the #2. Fitz is outright awful right now so it can't hurt to move on.

I would go Geno for a few games, and then Petty if he isn't getting it done either. It's obviously not ideal but we're not winning anyway with this garbage QB play currently

matt robinson 17, FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Well his stats show that his picks occur in the 4th quarter when trailing and thats pretty much the same for all QBs in that situation. Even Geno shows the same uptick in INT's when down in the 4th (albeit from a bigger baseline).

We all knew his accuracy wasn't the greatest which is why we loved BM and his huge wingspan, We knew he couldn't throw bombs which is why we have one of the best short combo's in Decker and the emerging Quincy. We knew that succesful game winning drives were going to be a low probability which is why we were hyped on having an 'elite' defence.

We still much preferred him over Geno as we grew tired of being out of games by the half (Geno throws alot more picks early) and our redzone efficiency was pretty stellar.

Hence why I don't mind Fitz continuing if and only if that redzone success returns.

If he's not maximising our chances when we get them then we have no chance of going on the tear we all thought we would need coming out of the brutal 6 week start we had/have where we were always likely to be 1-5 or 2-4.

PulseJet likes this.
  3. tank7501

tank7501 Member

Geno has never, NEVER thrown as many interceptions as fitz has in a single game.

Geno has never played with a wide receiver as good as even decker (he was injured all year when they played together and still managed a 1000 yard season).

Fitz has a 10 year career with like 5 teams and has only been the starter all season like 3 times.

Fitz has never been to the playoffs

Fitz has never beaten a winning team on the road.

What exactly is it that makes you think fitz is a better option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. jetsfan32

jetsfan32 Member

You must have read my mind. I couldn't have said it better. Not sure why there is this constant exaggeration about how terrible Geno is. Completely skewed. I hope everyone had a chance to view the all 22 analysis of Fitz's plays on Jetsnation dot com. That guy should not be starting. He missed so many wide open receivers for huge gains and TDs by locking in on his target pre-snap.

Say what you want about Geno, but that guy is hot garbage! aka [Shitzpatrick]

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Smith threw 13 INTs in 2014 and its generally regarded as a completely dogshit season in which even Rex Ryan benched him.... meanwhile were in week 5 and Fitzpatrick has already thrown 10.

Smith is a dumbass and a prick though. perhaps that's why people are more patient with Fitzpatrick. I wouldn't mind seeing a switch myself.

FlaJet and matt robinson 17 like this.
  6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Last chance for Fitz. If they don't compete it makes no sense to keep him playing. If it is a close game and he plays well I guess he will get another chance. The clock is ticking.

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Geno was simply not ready to start, and to be honest, was a douche because of it. I think the IK situation, and how the team resigned Fitz has humbled him. To what degree that's made him a better qb, I'm unsure. He did not look particularly great in the preseason but honestly what differentiates Fitz from Geno at this point? The argument that he's gritty, blue collar, has great relationships with the wide receivers is unimportant to me. What's important is can you win a game, and can you not throw the ball to the other team. Geno's arm is much better than fitz, will probably be more accurate, and Geno can also scramble. Fitz deserves a shot to right the ship this upcoming week, but if we get our shit pushed in, which may very well happen, I have 0 regrets or reservations if we move on to Geno.

8. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Currently he's not!

If you were using 2015 as a guide to how we were likely to go this 4 game stretch you'd probably be right in predicting 1-3. The annoying thing about those 3 losses that we kind of expected is that Bengals, KC and Seattle didn't blow us away and we could of taken them and if we were playing like we did down the home stretch last year, we should of taken them.

Ignoring the other areas of concern, Fitz has been good, brilliant, rubbish, ineffective. He's not been the steady, consistently slightly average chap he was supposed to be he has in fact been very Genoesque.

The solution to being like Geno is not Geno which given Pettys injury and hacks mechanics is the current hot option.

Sure he's not thrown 6 INT's in a game merely 3 in one quarter.

Sure he's got top receiving options in a hobbled BM, no decker, no TE and a bunch of rookies.

He's not been to the playoffs like other options we could explore like Sanchez and Tebow. He also hasn't done a behind his back fumble, played scared, jeered the fans, missed meetings,etc..,etc...

Basically, considering our options...................we have no options.

rammagen, rohirrim665 and Sam Hammer like this.
  9. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Agreed. Politically as well as practically, if Geno were to play worse, Fitz goes back in, the barking dogs can just chill, and Todd can say, "Happy now? Get off it, already."

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What is beginning to scare me is Mac tilting the scales towards Hackenberg. Petty has been out of action far too long for a simple bruised shoulder and its almost as if they want Hackenberg to get as many reps as possible. Mac has been in love with Hackenberg ever since he saw him play a decent game at Penn State. I don't think Petty will get a fair shot here in NY as there will always be a reason why NOT to play Petty.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could be wrong of course, but I don't think that will happen. Hack has to significantly change his fundamentals over the off season. Even if he's successful in fixing his fundamentals, his accuracy may never be good enough, and it may take him more than one off season. Petty is pretty far ahead of him at this point. If Petty's still not practicing, then I have to think that the injury was more serious than reported.

12. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I'm happy your feeling your oats. Now U can hope Bowles feels that way also. IMO It won't matter. If the team can't win with a noodle arm cerebral QB how they going to win with a dumb athletic QB? It makes for an interesting season.

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

carrying these four QBs only makes sense if fitz is starting ... he should be cut

14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Ohhhh boy. I am almost convinced that Fitz needs to be benched, but part of me says give him one more game. The oline hasn't exactly been good. Is there a chance Decker plays on Monday? The Jets can't drop to 1-5. This game should be no holds barred all hands on deck. But if Revis & Decker are both out, season's over, might as well start Petty now. I just don't want to see Geno.

#355 Sam Hammer, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

One more game and lose and we are done and there's no reason to keep playing him.

CBG likes this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Palmer plays Monday,,,its Geno or hack or Petty ,,see ya in a week

FJF likes this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I would give it geno with a very short leash, very short. if he isn't really good I want to see petty for at least 4 games so we have an idea what we need to do in the offseason. worst thing that can happen is to miss the playoffs and not know what we have in petty.
    i'm ok keeping hack in moth balls all season.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He has been dead to this team for 2 years, don't waste two minutes on him....and they won't.

19. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

For my money, they have been one relative bright spot surrounded by a lot of fucking darkness.

b.reyes16 likes this.