Week 4 - Seahawks @ Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Sep 26, 2016.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

First of all, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm "pissy". You're entitled to yours and I'm entitled to mine, just because we disagree on if a team can "turn it around" by losing a game doesn't mean you need to run away from this forum and let us be.

I actually enjoy when fans from other teams come to this board to give us their honest opinions on the games. By no means do I think you are trolling us with what you have posted. Being on this board for years has enabled me to see what true trolling is, and they normally come from upstate NY wearing red and blue.

If you decide to come back and read this, so be it. Goodluck tomorrow.

2. ToddNoBowles

ToddNoBowles Member

The problem is as not a true Jets fan you don't know what's it's really like to be a Jets fan, the true heartache that comes with it. And that clouds how we see things from a Jets perspective. whether it's a hard fought game that we somehow lose or a blowout, we will look at it as a season spiraling out of control and start questioning everything from the QB to the HC.

If we then somehow win next two games to get to 3-3 then we'll have dreams of a magical season only to have them crushed at some point the remainder of the season. It's just the life of a Jets fan that only we can understand.

I've enjoyed your take on the game and unfortunately agree that the Hawks will win, hope we are wrong.

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Hence singing up with declaration that Todd is No Bowles, right?

4. Jjones84

Jjones84 New Member

I don't get what you all are debating me about. I said I think you guys end up 10 and 6, with a wildcard berth. I am rooting for your team to do well this season, as they are about the only other team i like in the nfl. I may not be a true fan in the sense that im not from new jersey, but have been a fan since the curtis martin days. I said im not a true fan, only to not insult your fanbase. Like i said, i dont undetstand where this debate has gone. Are you all saying tgat you dont believe your team will turn it around and have a good season. Thats what i was saying. Are you throwing in the towel? Again, i have nothing but respect for your tam and fanbase. And you can trust me on this, I know about heartache from a football team.

5. Jjones84

Jjones84 New Member

I must say though, shouldn't have said pissy to the dude earlier, for that I am sorry. I really appreciate the debate. You all have been very classy in doing so. Gang green has a good fan base. Hope we both make it out without injuries. Good luck tomorrow, wish I was partying at met life with ya.

dawinner127 likes this.
  6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

No need for apology, passing people off is a part for the course. If fact, you can't avoid it.

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Jets will be having a white out, so at least we won't have to see those terrible green pants.

If we keep the self destructive plays to a minimum (Fitz picks, ST turnovers, getting burnt over top on D), we'll have ourselves a hard fought low scoring defensive battle.
    Our Dline vs Seattle Oline is a huge advantage, especially with Wilson slowed.

Jake likes this.
  8. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Sherman exclusively lines up on the left side of the field, REGARDLESS of where the #1 WR from the opposing team's offense happens to line up. #1 WRs often line up on the right side (the left side of the field for the DB) simply because right-handed QBs typically prefer throwing to the right side of the field (which for the defense and Sherman is their left side). Carroll's philosophy is that by doing this, their defense can focus primarily on their right side as the majority of QBs tend to avoid throwing the ball to Sherman's side of the field.

I'm very curious/interested to see where the Jets will line up Anderson and Marshall this Sunday. During the preseason, almost all, if not 100%, of the passes thrown to Anderson (by Petty) were with Robby lined up/playing on the left side which would be on the opposite side of the field that constitutes Sherman's domain. If memory serves me correctly, Marshall tends to line up more frequently on the right side. Of course, Fitzpatrick isn't Petty and has nowhere near his arm strength so it remains to be seen if he'll be able to replicate the types of throws to Anderson on the left side (mostly at or near the sideline) of the field that Petty was able to do so effectively.

On an entirely different note, for those who continue to squawk about Anderson being just too skinny at 6'3" and 190 lbs, Richard Sherman, easily among the best of today's current crop of CBs, is listed at 6'3" and 195 lbs......

#108 Altoona, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  9. Altoona

While the Seahawks undoubtedly have a very good defense, their present defensive ranking is actually somewhat deceptive and misleading insofar as they've accumulated their numbers against opposing teams with weak, under performing offenses. San Francisco, the Rams and Miami all have crappy offenses so far this season. Of Seattle's opponents so far this season, Miami is 1-3, the Niners 1-2 and the Rams are only 2-1 due to the weak teams they've faced as evidenced by their offense being ranked a few points from the bottom of the NFL with only 46 total points scored over three games, 37 of which came against Tampa Bay and 9 points total over the remaining two, all 9 of which they used in a win/victory against the Seattle Seahawks by the score of 9-3.

Anyone who has been watching games can clearly see that Denver, Philly and the Vikings all possess more dominant and powerful defenses that are superior to Seattle's which only goes to show how flawed the rankings are since the statistical sampling is both too limited (being so early in the season) and also fails to measure the quality of opponents faced.

#109 Altoona, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    richieC, NYJetsO12 and dawinner127 like this.
  10. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Can I just confirm that this is our fourth 'must win' game of the season? Thanks.

11. Jjones84

Jjones84 New Member

You are right, to a certain degree. The fact that they have had the number 1 scoring defense for four straight years, has to be taken into consideration. Just like the superbowl Champs are the Champs until another team wins, the same goes for the Hawks and their d. It isn't their fault they have the schedule they do. Gotta knock the Champs off of the mountain. The lack of turn overs are one of the main stats they have over us. But has more to do with the way in which teams play us, underneath, than lack of talent. I don't think you can say they are playing way better, because that would imply that Seattle couldn't do the same, which you cannot. So with incomplete information, you have to rely on the numbers. And the numbers say we are number 1.

12. Altoona

At this juncture, it's a matter of opinion and judging from what I've seen so far this year, I believe the Vikings, Denver and Eagles have the better defenses. Time will tell.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This is about the least excited I've been for a game in a couple years. Which, knowing how this works, means we'll probably win. Nice.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I have a feeling we're going to end up seeing Geno at some point in this game. Fitz still has not shaken the maddening tendency to scramble up the middle and dive head first, and this is the last team you want to do that against.

Seahawks 35
    Jets 10

15. Jjones84

Jjones84 New Member

Right on, I can respect that. I am just enjoying the debate without it getting out of control. I appreciate it.

16. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Here are the points scored by Seattle's opponents in each game they've played
    including against Seattle.

Miami:
    -------
    Pats 24
    Browns 30
    Seahawks 10

Rams:
    --------
    49ers 0
    Seahawks 9
    Bucs 37

SF:
    --------
    Rams 28
    Panthers 27
    Seahawks 18

The Rams obviously were the weakest offense, but even they put up 37 points in one
    game. Also, the game against the Rams was on the road for Seattle so even though
    their offense couldn't get anything going, their defense still gave up only 9 points
    on the road. I think it's likely that Seattle's defense is pretty good. I think our hopes for a
    Jets win have to rest on the Seattle offense being bad on the road.

Ron

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. dawinner127

It's the name of the the game big cat. Lose when you expect a W. win when you don't.

Big Cat likes this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

As far as I can recall, we have not beaten the Seahawks at home...

On that note I suppose an unexpected victory is in order

19. dawinner127

I thought we beat them when Vinny had that QB sneak on 4th and goal and he was clearly short but they gave it to him anyways? Was that on the road? I was like 7 or 8 years old so I vaguely remember it.

IsmokePot likes this.
  20. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I don't see the jets winning another game until Halloween. Remember they only win games they are expected to win. How often do they actually surprise people with an upset?