Is Mauldin a potential bust?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Will

Will Well-Known Member

If the Jets are going with more 4 man fronts to get 3 1st rounders on the park then 1 of the LBs will be sacrificed - Mauldin played 22 snaps whilst the other OLBs got the following - Catapano 14 & Stanford got 11.

Main thing the Jets wanted against Taylor was to make him a pure pocket passer and take away his scrambling ability - game plans are a key part of winning - and playing with discipline and staying in your lanes is key.

Stanford lost contain on the Salas bomb but it was Miles (on his sole snap of the game) who got mixed up in coverage that made the play - he jumps down on routes then slips and did not seem to understand who he was to cover at first and then it was to late,

Back to OPs question - he had the most snaps of any OLB and we did not hear his name too much (think he had one offside) but then again making Taylor beat you as a pocket passer can mean no sacks and therefore how can you comment on whether he is a bust

Red Menace and abyzmul like this.
  2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

what pick do you prefer?

Petty? Smith? Harrison? Simon? Jenkins? Lee? Peake? edwards? shell? Hackenberg?

unless you choose williams, who fell in his lap and was the clear best player on the board, then im not sure how its not mauldin.

3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

He's a third rounder geesh he will be just fine ...

jetsons121 and june19 like this.
  4. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

No clue what you're talking about. I think you're seeing things that aren't real. First of all Mauldin barely got any snaps against the Bills, it was mainly Catapano when we had an actual OLB lined up out there. Secondly with our front Bowles can't get him on the field and do what he does best, rush off the edge with his hand in the dirt. We don't use him like that anymore like we did last year, and that's where he excels. Thirdly he looked plenty fast when he did get some snaps, he's in great shape, better than last year, looks more lean. So everything you're saying is based on nothing. Go watch the game and then let's talk again.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I like Mac because he is a good GM as far as putting a team together, contracts, etc, but his drafting has been lackluster. The end result is what's important, but that end result is a lot easier to achieve and maintain with solid drafting. His drafts have been run of the mill, not terrible, but nothing special. Ironically our UDFA signings this year were his best moves scouting wise, maybe that's a sign of good things to come but so far I'd say the best pick, excluding the first round, was the punter.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I've watched several plays this year including preseason where mauldin gets absolutely engulfed by blockers because he has awful form. He stands straight up sometimes giving away leverage and then to make matters worse he gives up after losing leverage. He's also getting easily pushed out of the play when pass rushing at times and it looks like he isn't dipping his rush shoulder to turn the corner anymore. It's been very discouraging to see given what he showed last year as a pass rusher.

Looks like he's actually regressing to me. Hopefully it's a one step back, two steps forward type deal.

jetsons121 and Jets69 like this.
  7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be mean, but you sound like a suburban mom with an immaculate house who sips wine at noon and just found meth in her middle child's laundry hamper.

What does being a third-rounder have to do with being "just fine"? If he was a sixth-rounder and he was "just fine," would that make a difference? What does "just fine" even mean?

8. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i cant evaluate his 2016 draft after 2 games. especially with a qb who wont play this year in round 2.

even with 2015, it takes time. williams looks to be great but thats a no brainer pick. smith has been hurt. mauldin has shown signs.

i wasnt a fan of his picks either but i cant really evaluate so early on

9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

So how the hell can you say Mauldin is his best so far then?

If Jenkins and Henderson hadn't been injured last game we would've seen that many less snaps for Mauldin, and certainly Stanford. And they both were error prone.

Saying anything about these guys is premature. Saying Mauldin is the best pick is not as bad as saying he's a bad pick but it's close.

Yeah, I think Jenkins and Lee will both be better football players. Mauldin is coming along slowly. He has some nice physical attributes, and he's aggressive.
    But if he doesn't start learning how to play the OLB position more completely he's gonna stay behind Jenkins, and maybe even Catapano.

He's getting opportunities, so hopefully he can start becoming a better pass rusher, at least.

Edwards was a good pick, and any number of the picks could end up being a better pick. We don't know that yet. And nobody does.

#49 Walt White, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Of course he's a bust.

He is the almighty 3rd rounder. In his 2nd season, he should be getting at least 1 sack a game, but that's bare minimum. We shouldn't settle for that bare minimum after all. And pressure? He doesn't provide enough - that's for sure. Andy Dalton had all day to pick this defense apart because Mauldin could never get him at all.

On top of that - how many INTs and fumble recoveries did he get so far? Last time I checked, none on both accounts.

Yes, he is a bust.

FJF likes this.
  11. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

He gets engulfed because he has awful form? He's in great shape, which is why he gets engulfed in the first place. He's lean, he's not gonna be stout against the run versus 335 pound guys. That's common sense. He doesn't have big thighs or a big chest or a big belly or big arms. He's lean, he looks like a wide receiver almost. Besides, every pass rusher gets taken out of plays regularly, that's not exactly a good evaluation of whether somebody is a bust or not. Go look at what Trent Brown from the 49ers did to Von Miller a few weeks ago. There's 1 year of good tape on Mauldin and people shit their pants because he didn't put up 6 sacks last week when he was on the field for like 8 snaps. Give me a break.

I get it, people expected him to blow up this year because he was supposed to be our top OLB who'd be on the field at all times. But that's not the case. He barely gets any playing time because we are absolutely loaded up front and Bowles loves to line up with 5 linemen, 2 linebackers and 3 cornerbacks. And if we do line up 3 linebackers (an outside linebacker) it's Catapano for the most part because he can set the edge. Mauldin can't. I guess in that sense he has been disappointing because he was supposed to work on his run defense and be able to set the edge and cover and whatnot but that's an awful lot to ask for from your 2nd year guy who was basically a DE in college and even in the NFL his first year. Give him some time to adjust and learn the position. In 2-3 years we'll get a better picture of what he is. Right now he's learning a new position and he deserves some time. Right now he is what he is, what he was. A good edge rusher. You can't ask for more than that from a 3rd round pick, and he's got the talent and tools to develop into an elite 3-4 OLB. People just love to be controversial. After every game somebody is done, a bust, the best Jet ever or just simply a waste of money. Revis, Fitz (W1 he was the biggest mistake the Jets did in the offseason, after W2 he's the greatest Jets QB of all time behind Namath). Whatever.

nycarl and Freddy Mondo like this.
  12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He gets engulfed because he gives away leverage by standing up and then gives up. That's what I said in the post you quoted but apparently you didn't read it.

So far I haven't seen him show the things he did last year that impressed me. His best plays have come rushing the A gap. In his defense he's being asked to do a lot more, but he needs to get a lot better so he's not a liability.

#52 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Sep 17, 2016
  13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Exactly this. I don't think they were trying to push the pocket, but just maintain their lanes so Tyrod couldn't beat them. I also think we will see the same thing in 2 weeks vs Seattle.

Walt White likes this.
  14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Without a doubt. Push the pocket, but play the gaps.

When guys like Catapano, Stanford, and Mauldin didn't maintain their discipline and broke from that bad things happened. It wasn't about getting sacks yesterday.

When Taylor ran up the middle they laid wood to him, Lee twice, and almost knocked him out of the game......

Don't let the guy outside. Hello. What's so hard to understand about that?

15. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Thank you! My point exactly.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Is Maudlin a potential bust? Are we a potential Super Bowl champion? Is Manish a potential Pulitzer prize winner? All legitimate questions.

17. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Manish ... doubtful but a few posters on TGG ... def !

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Bust is a bit strong but yeah he hasn't shown anything so far this year. That said with our beast DL guys we are playing a lot with Catapano as the only OLB with Jenkins out. I really like the kid, hopefully he develops in a complete OLB.

jetsons121 and fansince90 like this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Mauldin does not have elite athleticism, was never noted for having an 'elite burst' coming out of Louisville but more of a guy whose motor was non-stop.

(guy showed lots of grit growing up while bouncing from one foster home to another).

#59 joe, Sep 17, 2016
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

3rd draft picks aren't busts, they are disappointments.right now he could go either way

NCJetsfan likes this.