Resigning Fitzpatrick was a major mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Greenday4537, Sep 11, 2016.

1. jets12

jets12 Active Member

With the offensive weapons we now have and our defense, the sooner we turn the job over to Petty the quicker this franchise will move on to have a real shot.

You cannot win in this league with noddle arm QB who historically makes big mistakes at the worst times.

In addition for a guy that grew up in Elizabeth, NJ like I did, please Bowles start showing some balls. Don't become another Herm Edwards.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

It was an obvious mistake but starting Petty wouldn't solve anything at this point.

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

And how do we know Petty's ready to start? A couple of quarters in a preseason game? All Fitz is is a stopgap. Petty was in the dopey spread offense in college, he needs this time to acclimate to the NFL.

Royal Tee and LarryAlRalph like this.
  4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

It was the right playcall and Bowles screwed it up. Sneak it for just the couple inches we need instead of dropping back to hand it off, giving the defense precious seconds to react to the snap and defend.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As much as I like Petty, I don't think he's ready to start yet. That's why Geno is still here. If you sit Fitz, Geno will be starting.

6. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

On a one year deal it's not a mistake, anything more than that I would agree. It's a prove-it contract in hopes that he can replicate last year's numbers with no repercussions past this year if he shits the bed.

RonPi, ajax, jetsclaps and 4 others like this.
  7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The Jets are acting like they think they have a chance to be a serious contender this year. I have my doubts, but maybe they're right. If they are, re-signing Fitzpatrick was understandable, although IMO ultimately probably not worth it, since I don't think he's good enough to win in December and January when it counts. If they're wrong, signing Fitzpatrick was a terrible move, even if Petty isn't close to ready, since all it does is result in a mediocre (versus terrible) record and a poorer draft position.

I think everybody recognizes that this is the current state of the QB situation - the only thing people disagree about is whether Fitzpatrick can and will play well enough to get tough wins for the Jets when they need them. So far he's 0-1 at that.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We lost by 1 point to a team thats been in the playoffs the last 4 straight years can everyone stfu already!!!

RonPi, Altoona, JetsNation06 and 6 others like this.
  9. mitsudriver

mitsudriver Member

Except Fitz counts another $5 mil next year in dead money against the cap. So even if cut he's costing that.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We were supposed to be undefeated this year. Losses are unacceptable and we now have no shot at the bcs championship.

#130 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  11. BuzzKillington

Link?

12. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Anything that keeps Geno on the bench is okay by me. This team was going nowhere with him as the starter. Petty has an upside but he's obviously not ready, and no one wants to rush him and turn him into another Mark Sanchez. Fitzpatrick may have been mediocre (or worse - didn't see the game) Sunday. But that's not why we got beat. We gave up 381 net yards, 366 of them through the air. Now for the bad news: every OC on our schedule took notice.

BuzzKillington likes this.
  13. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

They had to structure it that way to get him under the cap this year. They spread it out over 2 seasons so they didn't need to cut or restructure anybody else this season.

14. rikj99

rikj99 Member

Absolutely not a mistake to bring him back on a one year contract, no risk at all. If the first 6 games end up killing us then the rest of the year can be dedicated to trying out Geno, one last time, Petty, to see if he has acclimatised to the NFL. Would suggest leaving Hack where he is and not risk ruining any potential improvement we can get out of his accuracy issues. Fitz will then be gone and we continue looking for our replacement for Joe as we have been doing for decades!

Unfortunately this scenario does not match up well with having explosive veterans in the other skill positions, but thems the breaks. Lets look at what positives can be garnered from this.

hornblower likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Oddly enough, I'm ok with Geno starting a game or two if this season gets out of hand. In Fitz's case, I think it was more of a "the devil you know vs. the devil you don't". We know what we had in Fitz although a career year sometimes can be an anomaly. We also know what we have in Geno and that made no one comfortable. Petty wasn't ready so Mac had no choice but to cave in to Fitz's money grab. 2017? Everything changes... I hope

#135 Cman68, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    LWC611 and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I've always wondered why we don't do a play action that close to the goal line. Even perhaps run outside or sweep left or right. Why is it always up the middle?????

Ralebird likes this.
  17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Exactly right..I scream every time we run up the middle at the goal line knowing full weel the box is stacked and compressed to stop just that.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Fitzpatrick is a bandaid. Anyone who thought the Jets were getting more out of a guy they'd only give a one year contract to is fooling themselves.

Look at what the Jets are paying Fitzpatrick this year vs. what guys like Brock Osweiler and Kirk Cousins are getting paid. Fitzpatrick can arguably have a better season than those caliber QBs, so no, resigning him was not a mistake. You just need to lower your expectations about what he's capable of doing for this team.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

RonPi, NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

i think the prove-it contract was the original offer for 7-8M and compete to start. This is more like a reward for last year deal to me... because he aint worth it. But you know... TB took an old page out of the Rex book and named Fitz this years starter at the end of last year.. which allowed Fitz to even have this contract stand off (and eventually win).

Just by doing the eye test i think Petty should be out there. Yeah Geno has the tools and experience but for some reason he still looked shakey in the pre-season and that's a red flag to me. As much as i've hype him and believed in him.. he needs to be out there firing lasers...demanding that this is his tea, but he didn't do that.

But Petty looked like a young QB that you wouldn't mind taking the bad with the good for. Petty hasn't showed us much POOR football.. but he's shown us that he's got a rocket arm and tons of potential. & quit with the baylor offense stuff.. Petty looks ready out there.

NOBODY has experience until they get a chance... Give Petty a shot sooner than later! He can utilize these WR's better than Fitz can, because he can make all the throws fitz can and can't make!

Sec124DieHard, Cman68 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it's fair to call Fitzpatrick's bargaining a "money grab." It's a business, after all, and in his position, any one of us would have done the same. I mean really he's what, 36 and coming off a career year, and there's obviously more earning power behind than ahead for him. And it's not his fault the cap is a problem.

Ralebird and hornblower like this.