Resigning Fitzpatrick was a major mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Greenday4537, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't want Fitz or Eugene to QB this team, but to blame Fitz for that loss is wrong.

The previous drive where chan decided to be more balanced is what got the jets inside the 5 yard line.

The offense with Fitz, did their job, against a playoff caliber team, they did not score the TD but they drove the field.

That's why points in these games mean so much, the jets as a team need to play a near perfect game every game in the beginning of this season because they are matched up against playoff teams.

Nick Folk did not do his part, plain and simple, your not going to blow teams out that are battle tested unless you have a HOF QB under center.

To ask Fitz to come back every game is unrealistic, no QB no matter how great he is will not be able to produce on the last drive every time.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  2. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Fitz has always been ass, even last year the guy was a middling QB at best. 15th in yards passing, 29th in completion %, 24th in rating, 5th in INT's, 22nd in yds/game.

He is not a good QB at all and he wasn't last year. This franchise goes no where until we get a QB simple as that.

Fitz was bad yesterday, he missed a lot of wide open receivers for big gains. It is what it is though, he's better than any other option we have. If we end up 1-5 after this tough beginning to the schedule I hope they give Petty the nod.

matt robinson 17 and Red Menace like this.
  3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

As we all know Fitz is Fitz what's scary is that Geno led the team to more comback wins in his rookie season than Fitz has in his tenure as a Jet ... we're not built to lead game winning drives and it blows but until we get a franchise QB that is just how its gonna be ...

zace likes this.
  4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Shhhhhh dont say that outloud. Some guys dont wanna hear the truth. Joking aside, can imagine how scary good this team would be with a decent qb?

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

matt robinson 17 and Red Menace like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm not blaming him for the last drive- But I do think Fitzpatrick left a lot of points off the board. Receivers were open all day and he was missing them. They shouldn't have had to come back on the last drive they should've won by 2 TDs. Fitzpatrick was bad yesterday and deserves blame for the loss, as much as anyone else on the team.

It is unrealistic to ask Fitz to make a comeback every game but its also just as unrealistic to ask the defense to keep the opponent under 20pts every game which is what appears to be necessary for Fitzpatrick to win a big game.

6. jxc

jxc Active Member

Geno even managed to defeat a Ryan-led defense in '13 (Rob that is).

Fitzpatrick, on the other hand, is 0-2, with 5 interceptions, and final drive interception in each game.

7. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Another point that I think was made in the game but I havent seen it here is not having Chris Ivory in the red zone hurt the Jets. At the goal line in the 4th they needed to blast it into the end zone but didnt have that bruiser back to do it. Khiry Robinson was supposed to be that guy before injury. Maybe when Sheldon comes back that could be a role he plays. He did a good job of it when he had the chance.

Peebag likes this.
  8. cambam71

cambam71 Member

I think the solution from the 6 inch line...was probably to just run 3 QB sneaks vs. moving backwards. Works for the Pats, but screw it, if we do it we're copying them and don't want to be like them. I'm not sure why more teams don't do this....

After seeing (I had gut feelings this would happen) Wentz tear it up for the Eagles...I wish we would've made a trade to get him. With our talent....we're almost in win-now mode. Although, Lee's speed was on display and saved a couple big gains, although he got smashed by Hill at the goal line.

PulseJet likes this.
  9. PulseJet

Its too early to tell whether Wentz, or for that matter Goff or Prescott will pan out. A few games in his rookie year it looked like Geno would be the guy.

I agree with you, they should have ran two QB sneaks. Given the push the OL had that whole series.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more!!

I think the QB sneak is the most beautiful play in football. Not joking. It has driven me crazy for years that teams don't do it in short yardage like we were in yesterday. It always works and I'll tell you why it does and why I think its the most beautiful short yardage play in football:
    -Its the only play that the offense never willingly goes backwards!
    -Since its contained within the big uglies it is also extremely difficult for the referees to spot the ball. Most of the time you get the end zone/first down mark simply because they give you the benefit of the doubt!
    -along with that it is also near impossible for the defense to challenge the spot of the ball.

Teams way overthink things. And even though I hate the Patriots will all my being they are way ahead of the league with that. Spread the defense out and QB sneak it. I think belichick was something crazy like 99 out 100 at one point running that play.

but no these offensive coordinators get paid too much with too big of an ego to allow themselves to run something so simple

NYJFOREVER and PulseJet like this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

that play near the goal line by fitz looked like a carbon copy of testaverde against the hawks in 98.

only difference was VT was called a TD.

12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The Jets did everything they needed to do yesterday except score in the red zone. Defensive coaches by nature are conservative and go for the field goal instead of taking a chance. Unfortunately the NFL today requires offensive chances near the goal line. Coach Bowles should know that by now since he has been in the league so long.

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Wentz looks ok but its definitively way too early. Let him face a good defense before crowning him.

That being said, we need a qb. I Hope Petty becomes that guy. We need a qb who can throw deep. Fitzpatrick can't.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Red Menace likes this.
  14. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i honestly wish i wasnt posting this right now but i am so frustrated with the fitz signing and have been since it happened. We are looking at a guy who is at the end of a very sub-par career that is highlighted by one good season with a team everybody was looking past on their schedules last year. I hate to say it, but teams did not expect the jets to be as good as they are and this season they are prepared.

We have a quarterback that does half of the defenses job for them by taking away the long ball just by his own limitations. this is not saying that anyone on the roster now is better, but they are all a hell of a lot cheaper and at least have somewhere to go. Fitz is what he is. you will not get much more and you can certainly get a lot less.

ok so if you dont want to read my venting about the fitz situation, ill talk about the game now so you can skip to here:

he looked good coming out of the gate. He made some plays and put us on the board. But after that it fell apart. Fitz is a guy that can follow a script but he cant improvise worth shit. His best move is to run and almost get himself killed cause when he tries to force a throw its usually intercepted. This has been fitz his entire career. last night he was throwing the ball everywhere but where it needed to be and left our receivers out to dry and sometimes get lit up by the d. His accuracy is way off right now and while im sure its because he took the summer off and his rhythm is shot that doesnt really excuse him since he was a hold out.

The last two red zone series were brutal. He had open receivers and just couldnt get the ball to a place where the receiver could catch it. the playcalling was fine, the plays were there to be made. the receivers got open, but you cant call it a drop when the receiver has to adjust and stretch to get a hand on the ball. i just didnt like what i saw by the end of the game. hes not the reason we lost but hes a big part of why we came up short in multiple spots.

i hate to say the pressure is on but he needs to prove he can play right now cause if hes not in football shape he needs to sit. we can afford to lose to the bills cause fitz runs out of steam and cant throw an accurate pass in the 4th.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Half the people on this board think Maccagnan walks on water or is some kind of genius, I'm not one of them. Tell me how a guy starts his career with 60 million dollars of monopoly money and then ends up wasting almost half of it on a broken down CB and a broken down QB and still hasn't been called to task for it. All I see he has done is make one or two good draft picks but those guys were basically free a nd don't forget this is his coach too.

16. PulseJet

Agreed, Fitz isnt the long-term guy. He cant take the top off a defense. The offense is good, but not very explosive. I hope Petty is the guy.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

to be fair, we don't really have a speed guy at WR, anderson is but isn't high enough on the depth chart and smith is on the IR/PUP list.

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen so many wounded ducks since after Chad's 3rd torn labrum...85 and sunny no excuse to miss so many open receivers

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I see it as wasting all these weapons, having a noodlearm at QB....also play Bilal Powell and Matt Forte at the same time, LB's can't cover them both, get Kellen Davis off the fuckin' field

BrowningNagle, zace and PulseJet like this.
  20. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

It is brutal watching an offense of screen passes and throws in the 5-10 yard range, with maybe 1 of out 10 throws in the 10-20 yard range. Nothing beyond 20 yards. Literally nothing. He is such a limited player. We make it easy for the opposing D. Let's see if he can bounce back on Thursday, otherwise I may have to start calling for Bowles to put in the backup (which I guess is Geno but I'm open to Petty seeing time too). Absolute worst case, if we start 0-3 and Fitz is struggling all 3 games, we have to bench him. This team is too talented to give the mediocre veteran QB a long leash. He needs to produce. Period.

matt robinson 17 likes this.