Jets Roster for 2016/2017 Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will, May 1, 2016.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Too little too late....behind Harris, Henderson, Lee, and Carter...No chance there

2. Duck

Duck Member

Danny Woodhead

3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I watched a bunch of CFL games this year. A friend of mine is a Riders fan and I got into them. It's interesting to watch for a while because of the different rules and the style of offenses they run. But the level of athleticism is nowhere near the NFL and you really can't compare them. I mean hell, it beats the A.F.L. But I'd rather watch college football than the CFL.

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I believe he's in your fishing thread...

5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Bishop made the PS, correct?

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

Correct.

7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

hopefully he can develop because he showed nothing in preseason

8. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Jets made some more changes to the PS squad today

Per rumors they added 3 of the 4 guys cut to make room for the 4 waiver claims to the PS CB Dexter McDougle, S Ronald Martin, RB Dominique Williams

Also added RB Raheem Mostert to the PS who was with the Browns this offseason and preseason.

Mostert, a top kickoff returner for four seasons at Purdue, entered the NFL with the Eagles as an undrafted free agent after the 2015 draft. He was acquired by three different teams on waivers that season — Miami, Baltimore and Cleveland and was with the Browns this year, rushing seven times for 47 yards, catching one pass for 7 yards, and returning two punts and four kickoffs in the preseason.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10744/raheem-mostert

He is most likely to get cut if as expected Jets pursue Victor Ochi who they signed to PS but actually did not because there's more to this misunderstanding than just that, according to the source. The Jets planned to sign Ochi to their practice squad, but he didn't pass his physical, because he injured his shoulder in the Ravens' preseason finale. When the Ravens waived Ochi, they did not waive him with an injury designation, which is what teams are supposed to do in situations like this. So the Jets thought they were hosting a fully healthy player on a visit. Ochi's physical revealed otherwise, though his shoulder injury is not major.

The Jets still plan to sign Ochi to their practice squad, when he's healthy. And he is expected to be healthy in a week or two. So at some point soon, Ochi actually will be on the Jets' practice squad. Or at least that's the plan. But for now, he isn't on the squad, because he is injured — something that came as a surprise to the Jets, who then made an error of their own by prematurely announcing Ochi's signing.

Also, TE Brian Parker, acquired on waivers from Kansas City on Sunday, has been waived/failed physical so we can sign one to the active roster or go with 52 knowing Sheldon will return.

#408 Will, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Seems like teams (jets included) are using that "waived/injury" distinction an awful lot this year, especially in questionable injury situations.

We gave it to Milliner who ironically might actually healthy for the first time ever. Khiry Robinson got it even though no one remembers seeing an injury. Then we signed a guy to our active roster who the Patriots slapped that tag on. He will suit up sunday so he must not be too injured. And Buffalo tried it on a guy who this morning tweeted a video of himself pumping some serious iron saying "Idk why they are saying I'm injured"... o_O

what would be the benefit of the "waived/injured" distinction instead of outright cut? and why are teams seeming to do it much more this year than in years past?

10. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

When Richardson comes off his 1 game suspension, - I assume we have to make a roster move.
    I'd prefer we keep the rookie Lawrence Thomas and let Jarvis Jenkins go, but I guess Jenkins $$ becomes the 3 milly guaranteed as long as he is on opening day roster.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If you clear waivers with an injury designation you default to the teams i.r. i believe

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

so its a way of clearing roster space but trying to not actually lose the player? like stashing them?? interesting and I can see it.. .my question would be why the "waived/injury" and not just IR placement in the first place? Cost savings? less injury investigation by the league? and why all of a sudden teams seem to be using this more?

13. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Hasn't the short term IR rule changed? Only one can be brought back still but you don't have to designate who it is when they go on IR now I think. So you could theoretically bring either Milliner or Robinson back at a later date depending on which was the greater need.

14. FJF

From what i understand, before week 1 the only path to i.r. is waived/injured. Might even be always, not sure. It used to be a gentleman's agreement that clubs don't pick up other teams waived/injured players until the pats(of course) took a t.e. from the giants( name escapes me)
    That was when i first noticed the injured/waived designation

15. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's correct. For example, I think the vikings put Bridgewater on IR immediately, without going through the waived/injured process (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-place-teddy-bridgewater-on-injured-reserve/). I think you can put your players on IR right away, but then you're stuck with their contracts. The benefit of the waived/injured is that you're telling another team that they can take the player but then they're assuming the player's contract.

16. BuzzKillington

You are correct. After the initial preseason cut to 75, players can go directly to IR without having to go through waivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. FJF

Ok thanks. I didn't research, just going with whati have read here and there.

18. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Jets have resigned Antonio Allen - he signed with the Texans in the off season after spending least season on IR - he had been sought after by the Jets too. He was part of their roster cuts last Friday and gives the Jets 4 safeties

In a seperate move they announced T Reilly was healthy (hamstring) and waived him from the IR list

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

It allows the injured player to find another team. We couldn't do that with say petty as we want to keep him so if we tried it, another team would make a waiver claim on him and get him. Nobody wanted milliner so he defaults to our IR, we still have to pay him but he doesn't count against the roster. The other option too is to reach an injury settlement with milliner which would make him a free agent.

20. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Can't believe people were actually complaining about how Maccagnan brought Matt Forte instead of resigning Ivory.

NCJetsfan likes this.