Jets Roster for 2016/2017 Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will, May 1, 2016.

1. Will

Will Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan - the Tiers are the rankings that I put them in when I originally started the thread or when they made the squad if signed since. I agree totally that they have moved but felt it was more honest if I left my original ranking / prediction in place. In hindsight I should have made that clearer

I agree with the entire content of your post regarding who you rate higher than others and thought I alluded to their strengths in the comments as I had Ross pushing J Marshall for a spot and will be hard done by if he fails as he has actually done slightly better through 3 games returning more kicks and not as plagued by drops or fumbles.

Reilly was a Tier 3 as at the start of OTAs he was getting all the first team reps but he has limited ability and was always likely to struggle as the Jets make over the LB corps. I have also mentioned that both Stanford and and Martin are 100% better than Reilly and should make the PS. Here is a link to a positive story on Stanford
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...g-Around/41efe6e3-1a33-430e-aa33-4f3d74b28fcf

Also have stated that Morris is pushing McDougle (who cant seem to stay healthy) but played poorly at the end of the Giants game - left too much of a gap and therefore unable to tackle their WR who skipped into the endzone.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Will, thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize that you were using the original tiers from the beginning of the thread. That clarifies things. Yes, you did allude to their strengths, but then the tier designations confused me. Thanks for the link to the article on Stanford.

3. Will

Will Well-Known Member

After the game last night the Jets may have more leeway if Petty is put on IR.

This would allow us to keep Ross - was higher on or J Marshall after OTAs and early on in camp but after last night and his fumble, 2nd this preseason, that will kill his chance to displace Ross.

Stright fight between Morris & McDougle for that slot - Bowles likes CBs and will carry more than 5. In addition a few guys I had not heard of or rated highly really appear t have stepped up.

3 QB: Fitzpatrick, Smith, Hackenberg
    6 HB: Forte, Powell, Robinson
    7 FB: Bohannon
    13 WR: B Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, Ross
    16 TE: Davis, Amaro, Sudfeld
    20 OT: Clady, Qvale, Ijalana, Shell
    24 OG: Carpenter, Winters, Johnson, Dozier
    25 C: Mangold
    29 DE: Wilkerson, Richardson, Williams, Jenkins
    31 DT: McLendon, Simon
    35 OLB: Mauldin, Jenkins, Catapano, Bishop
    39 ILB: Harris, Henderson, Lee, Carter
    45 CB: Revis, Skrine, Williams, Burris, Milliner (Morris or McDougle)
    47 FS: Gilchrist, Martin
    49 SS: Pryor, Miles
    50 K: Folk
    51 P: Edwards
    52 LS: Purdum

Updated as only 52 names here

PS Squad 10
    D Williams RB / R Morris RB / / J Howsare FB/ J Marshall WR / C Watts OG / W Saxton TE / C Pelon DL / J Stanford OLB / J Martin OLB / D Middleton FS

PUP: Smith, Giacomini, Petty,

IR: Pierce

#303 Will, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  4. NCJetsfan

Will,

I agree that Bowles will keep at least 6 CBs, and possibly more. I can't see him keeping 3 TEs, however. In an ideal world, only one of those 3 would make the team. If the Jets were going to keep the TE mainly for blocking, it would be Davis. If the TE the Jets were keeping was mainly going to be a receiver, then it would be Sudfeld. Based on what I've seen from Amaro and read about his play, he doesn't deserve a roster spot. I still think that Bohannon is a wasted roster spot as well.

I think that Dozier has probably played his way off the team as well. If the Jets are going to keep 4 OGs, then imo Watts will be the 4th or they'll sign a camp cut. I'd certainly rather keep Jalin Marshall, DL Thomas and/or Middleton (S) than keep Dozier and/or Bohannon and/or a 3rd TE.

5. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I agree that Amaro doesn't deserve a roster spot after that awful preseason, but his upside is enough you keep trying for a little bit longer. If somebody releases a TE that can block and reasonably catch, I fully expect Davis tossed overboard.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They need to clear additional spots on this roster because hopefully they will find someone else from another team's cut list that can play RT, OLB, and possibly a TE

7. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Pretty close. IMO, Shell played himself off the 53 man roster last night with his matador impersonation at LT. I also see Lawrence Thomas making the 53 man until Sheldon comes back, after which they will try to stash him on the practice squad. Finally, I hope to hell Worthy makes it to the practice squad. Kid is already solid in my eyes and has valuable upside playing slot, outside and as a KR/PR.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Uncle Art must be embarrassed.

Peebag likes this.
  9. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Right? He was a ****ing revolving door last night

10. BrowningNagle

Shell shouldn't be playing LT anyway. That one is on the coaches. He shouldn't be anywhere near that spot. He's a RT but I'd put him at guard before I put him at LT. I was surprised to see him there earlier in the preseason

11. AlmostNamedMyDogRevis

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis Active Member

is this gonna be the thread for announcing cuts or is that yet to come?

12. Will

Will Well-Known Member

I have actually only listed 52 thus far (my bad) so there is a spot open - Thomas will get kept for 1 week without affecting the 53

TBH Dozier or Watts is much the same for me - think Watts has done well this preseason and is a nice surprise.
    http://nypost.com/2016/09/01/jets-may-bury-more-remnants-of-disastrous-2014-draft/

Final slot could go to 1 of the OLBs Stanford or Martin or J Marshall and Middleton - in all likelihood it will be based on who has most to offer on special teams and who can be "snuck" onto the PS

13. NCJetsfan

Why an OLB? Do you think Jenkins' injury is that serious, or do you think Mauldin isn't ready/good enough? If they add an OLB, fine, but I'd rather they just go with Mauldin and Jenkins and let them learn on the field.

I definitely would love to see them add an RT or RG (or both!) and a TE.

14. NCJetsfan

I had forgotten about Stanford. Yes, a case can be made for his sticking as well. I agree that STs will probably be the determining factor.

15. BrowningNagle

Its an important position and I don't trust a rookie that has been injured during camp and a second year player that has been terrible during camp to be just handed the keys week 1. I hope they are looking for a safe, steady vet to share time. Like maybe Manny Lawson who buffalo cut today unless a big Goodell suspension is looming for him or something

16. EAF29

EAF29 Member

Petty is not eligible for PUP.

17. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Bryce Petty has a bruised shoulder, per Bowles. No structural damage.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we could IR him which would stash him for the eyar without him counting a roster spot. then next year we still have petty and hack on the roster and can try to resign fitz again if petty/hack can't step up. geno will be gone.

Personally, I don't think petty can be better then a backup but he can be a cheap backup for us for a while. nothing wrong with that. He showed me enough this year to believe in him as a backup

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Players have to start camp on PUP to be eligible to be placed on that list to start the season. It's either IR or active roster, unless they decide to waive him..

20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Am I missing what Catapano and Bishop have done, I see nothing from both, LB depth is still a problem