The Night Of (HBO Limited Series)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Poeman, Jul 26, 2016.

1. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

This show was well written and it just keeps you guessing and in suspense the entire time you watch it. Its sad that its only going to be a 8 part mini series because this has potential to be on for many seasons. Just tweak the story line with another story and its good to go.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Such a fantastic 2 hour ending. I was on the edge of my seat...John Turturro with the performance of his life. Give that man an Emmy!

The story came to a solid ending and the actual killer being determined I am curious how they handle a potential season 2

3. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

I completely agree with this. The way it ended was perfect. It's wide open for another season and yet it ended in a way where it's okay if it won't continue. When the prosecutor woman told the retired cop (sorry, I'm horrible with names) "Let's get him", it sounded to me like "Let's go for another season." So, I have a feeling that HBO is definitely considering it.

It would be interesting to see how they would handle a second season. Will it be split 50/50 between the new case and Nas, or will it favor either of the two? Would Nas even be in the next one? It could be done in any of these ways. In my opinion, Nas' story wouldn't be too interesting, aside from maybe his in-jail life with that boxer (again, bad with names). Nas is obviously completely institutionalized. His life is ruined, and it would only be a matter of time until he finds his way back into the life that he has become accustomed to.

I did find it extremely annoying how they had him so accustomed to prison life so soon, though. I understand some of the things he'd have to do to survive in there to a certain degree, but knuckle tats and a neck tat that soon? Really?

MJK and Poeman like this.
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Terrible episode; terrible show.

It tried too hard to play the middle the entire show. Did he do it? Did he not do it? Was it any of the other people? Who cares, we will just play it right down the middle and not even have a verdict.

Yawn.

5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

But those white gloves tie it all together. Columbo had the jacket, John Lee had the gloves. Hope there is a 2nd season.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I'll say right now, if this does go to a second season it will be absolutely terrible. They had trouble closing this season out and the second suspect would be completely uninteresting. It's over and it's a good thing because it seems they couldn't carry the show for the full 8 episodes.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The show was more then that dude...

Nas was introduced and went to prison a innocent man and he left very much a guilty one and a changed man.

It was more then just a murder story...I am glad it was deadlocked, these witnesses Williams and Duane Reade would totally make me think this kid may not have done ti.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Here is the thing...Most of us just really like John Stone and honestly that Detective is great too. They could do something together.

Buddy up in a sort of way lol. But yes, most sequels are not very good

I.E. True Detective Season 2 took a crackhead turn.

9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It is not whether or not sequels are generally bad or if you think the lawyer and detective could buddy up. The show ended on a really flat note in my opinion and I think anything they tried to build off of it would be terrible.
    I think they already played every angle they could for the attorney, are they going to have him going to more doctors? Have him cured? The character is pretty much dead, there is not enough depth there for another mini series.

10. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The whole prison story line ruined the show for me. It was unrealistic from the start forget knuckle tats and a neck tat. A kid like that would be eaten alive in Riker's not taken under the wing of a gangster who runs the prison...especially being accused of raping and murdering a women.

#50 MJK, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Royal Tee, TNJet and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Me too. I thought it was weak. I wasn't interested in that at all. Maybe as he was processed in, in the beginning, somewhat.

MJK likes this.
  12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It was a poorly told story even if it is more than that. Those two witnesses are examples of the show's weaknesses -- just red herrings to throw the audience off the scent. Only one person killed her, so having two or three other possibilities that are never truly explored are just cheap dramatic devices to trick the audience, not interesting elements of the story. And then to throw in the deus ex machine where they introduce an actual credible suspect at the very end to "save the day" which hadn't been explored before and you have as poorly contrived a story and narrative you will ever see in a tv show.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The ending, ehh could've done better but I enjoyed the ride regardless. What I took best from this show was the impact of the criminal justice system.

TheJetLife likes this.
  14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I agree it was kind of flat the parting ways of Freddie and Nas.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That ending wasn't even realistic. Way to crash and burn

MJK and Royal Tee like this.
  16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

But something like The Wire or OZ wasn't really realistic either.

Case was dead locked and prosecutor knew they went to a second trial it would be a major issue spending the money on the case and she has bosses to answer to. Now she can show the new evidence put forward that the Detective brought and move on that.

But she couldnt do that in court...That's my guess...Honestly though if you saw these witnesses in the stand you would have doubts too.
    Duane Reade would have been my killer if I was a juror.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it would've gone to mistrial over the kiss from the hot indian lawyer. Also, theres no way they would ever give up like that

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it overall, but there were too many miscues to truly rate it a classic.

Turturro should be handed his Emmy immediately.

MJK, Royal Tee and TNJet like this.