The True QB Battle: Geno Smith vs. Bryce Petty

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

or....."I felt Petty gave us the best chance to win" lol

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Wrong HC

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

They are not human.

They do not feel pain.

PabloJa and Chadchrebet like this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Preseason stats are worthless but what is not are the throws made and footwork. For a fourth QB the reads Geno where making where just bad. He showed no improvement and again the spot seemed to big for him. With that being said he is a notoriously slow starter and he got pulled early. The pic was a rookie throw just bad.

Petty did not light it when he first got out there and missed some easy throws. He seems to be making the correct reads and more importantly the spot was not to big for him. To me what this will come down to is practice and film room. Do the coaches see enough in Petty that he can handle being the backup or is he still a year or so away?

What makes this tougher is WR corp that are flashing. Would be a shame to lose one of these prospects because we carried four Qb's. I was listening to Fitz presser this morning and he was asked if he has ever been on a team that carried four Qb's and his answer was just no. He knows what he see's in practice everyday and there is a reason he was not worried about Geno.

GordonGecko likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good Lord Jet fans. Don't you just love it when people rationalize the performance of a player, particularly a QB, by selecting morsels of football wisdom and using them to make a point at all costs. LMFAO.

Those that are not sold on Petty, for example, keep pulling on the BS thread that "he is playing against second stringers, players that will be bagging groceries come season time, could not do that against top DBs, stats don't mean shit in pre season, etc, etc".
    What the fuck does that have to do with anything? The man is playing with the tools and players and opposition the coach allows him to have, and in my opinion he is doing pretty damned good with it, in fact he has grown leaps and bounds since last year. Sure he is still making some mistakes, who the hell doesn't, but he has impressed me with savvy and a hell of an arm. The strike down the sideline to Anderson was picture perfect and the WR was very well covered. Quite frankly I don't remember seeing Fitz EVER come close to such a nifty throw. So I don't give a flying hoot if it was against second stringers or a dummy. The kid has some tools so thinking he is a goner this year IMHO is right down freaking laughable.

Then you get the "Geno do or die regime", they are desperately either trying to justify why he belongs or hating every move he makes, there is no in between. I don't want to repeat what has been said a million times. Quite frankly I have shifted my opinion back and forth on him but my patience is running low. Putting all the hate or love aside, he has being given every opportunity to shine, this is his last rodeo, and he is not grabbing the chance. He is still making some mental errors, and he is playing scared.
    Forget the excuses that he is only playing a few series, his receivers are dropping balls, the OL sucks and so forth....he is his own worst enemy and making it difficult for the CS to keep him on the team. Which sucks for us because we need help.

And then there is Fitz, he seems to be above reproach. He is living in the glory of 2015 and we are all making excuses for him. This is preseason, the offense is vanilla, he has only played a few snaps, ..we all know the story. But underneath all that varnish I see the same slow offensive start, short dunk passes and quite frankly the same lack luster performance of years past. He will not make too many mistakes, he is super smart, but he is not going to give us the fire power we need against the top teams. Fuck it all, you need more than smarts to win the tough ones.

So for those that are becoming comfortable with having Fitz back a huge word of caution. We better hope like hell that Petty or Hack quickly become the answer if Geno does not wake up, because right now we continue to be one QB away from becoming a top team. And coming from behind against top teams will be hell.

So every snap and pass counts, no matter who the hell is defending it. Excuses be damned. Preseason is played for a reason, to see who is who. The countdown for QB performance is now 2 preseason games old and we are not looking too good.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Nobody is making excuses for him we have just not seen him much. From all accounts he has looked good in practice. We have not seen our starting offense on the field yet. Lets see what they do when they game plan and play extended time.

To be frank I am more worried about our defense particularly DB's than I am about are offense at this point.

7. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I don't see the Jets carrying 4 QBs this year. They have a lot of good young players now coming up and I don't see them getting rid of one of them to keep 4 QBs. The Jets had only Petty (who was clearly not NFL ready) to backup Fitz for the first month or so of the season last year and they still didn't carry another vet QB on the roster. Their plan was that if Fitz gets seriously injured, then they'd have Petty finish off that game, IR Fitz and sign a veteran QB at that time to take Fitz's roster spot. I also don't see the Jets cutting Petty, when he looks to be developing well and is significantly better than last year.

It's pretty obvious that the Jets brass has no confidence in Geno. If they did they would not have given Fitz $12 million with no one else even interested in him. Obviously they think that Fitz, flawed as he is, is a $12 million improvement over Geno. Finally, Geno will be gone next year no matter what happens. Consequently, if Petty can be in the same ballpark as Geno as far as being a backup QB goes then Geno would be gone. If not, then I think Petty likely ends up on IR with a hangnail. The problem with IRing them is that I don't think IRed players are allowed to practice so it limits their development (that's why you'd IR Petty rather than Hack, who needs the practice more at this point). Thus far, I think you'd have to say that, at best, Geno and Petty are about even and, at worst, Petty has significantly outplayed Geno. If that continues then I think Geno will be gone at cutdowns (either traded or cut) and the jets will only carry 3 QBs. If Fitz ends up getting injured and Petty can't do the job then they'll sign a veteran (likely one of the two they looked at last year if they're available).

8. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

I have to say, we must be a pretty good team if the biggest headline we have this training camp is the second string QB battle.

9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Well the thing is... that 2nd string QB will most likely be our QB of the immediate future, which is obviously gotta be Geno or Bryce.. unless we blow this year badly and draft a top QB next year,

we're at the stage in the Fitz cycle where he's supposed to suck.

Fitz gets cut/traded --> Signs Prove it deal --> Proves it and gets paid --> Stink it up --> Repeat.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed, he would keep all 4. Coaches wish they could keep everyone. No way he prefers Geno over everyone else in the QB room, but that is cool if he made you feel that way. I like Chan's pressers too. He has a funny way of talking.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Haha, I don't know how good the Jets are, but this has been a much smoother camp than the last few years. I agree.

12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure. Petty throws bullets. I'm loving his arm thus far. He really puts zip on the ball. Obviously he has much to improve on, but right now I don't think he's that far behind Geno at all. If anybody gets cut this off season it should be Geno.

Petty had a much better game than Geno on Friday, but that's hard to tell because they are playing against different units. I almost want to see Petty start a game, but 1st team offense needs more reps, IMO.

13. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

You don't have very far to go to pass Geno Smith. That guy wouldn't be a back up on any other team in the NFL. Which makes him untradeable.

14. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

The Jets are building Geno up hoping to dupe other teams that he actually has value so they can try to get somthing for him instead of having to cut him. But Yet again, Geno foils the Jets plans by looking the $hit every time he in on the field, he is going to be cut and barring a miracle we will get nothing for him. Wasted pick...turn the page.

I like was I see in Petty. I like his size, his arm, legs, accuracy and his ability to scan the field. I like that he is getting time to develop. I hope he is able to put it together, he has the tools. Time will tell.

cval likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can agree with everything up to the part where you talk about which QB gets IR'd. IR'd players are not allowed to practice, so it would waste the entire season for Petty. Thus, IMO it would make zero sense to IR Petty. He is the most developed, and having this season to practice could have him ready to seriously compete for the starting job next season and at a minimum be a good backup. In addition, if Fitz goes down with a season-ending injury and Geno flops as his replacement, the Jets certainly wouldn't want Hack out there playing QB. Petty could handle it. Throwing Hack to the wolves could ruin him for good.

Hack needs to have his throwing mechanics totally overhauled. Gailey has already said that this will not happen until after the season is over as it takes thousands of reps to ingrain new mechanics into muscle memory, and he'd never get those during the season. Not only would the reps for Hack this season not only not help him, it would hurt him imo, because he'd just be continuing to ingrain the old, bad mechanics and it would make them that much harder to change. Hack doesn't need reps taking snaps from under center as he has done that his whole football life. He doesn't need reps reading Ds until his throwing mechanics are fixed. That's something he can work on with film study. Hack also needs time to get over the beating he took at PSU. He needs to focus on fixing his mechanics, having that and his film/classroom work rebuild his confidence, then put him on the field next season and let him get a bunch of reps.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I rewatched the first preseason game against the Jags. I wanted to see if there was a drop off in Geno's play or an improvement in Petty's in the Wash game. Remember, Geno and Petty had similar stats in that game and the media said Geno had the edge because of the TD throw to Peake. After review, I see the same things seen in the Jags game that I seen in the Washington game.

Geno: 8-14 79yds and 1TD
    Some poor reads and poor mechanics, Geno often was locked on to his 1st option. The 6 incompletes included a ball that hit a DB's hand but wasn't intercepted (bad read). Two busted throws to the RB because Geno was throwing while in the air, two passes that skimmed to the ground before reaching the receiver (bad throws.) So for the most part, the incompletes were because of Geno.

Petty: 7-14 94 yds
    Overall good reads, good throws, good mechanics. Among 7 incompletes were: A rope to Robbie Anderson in the end zone. Anderson made a great catch but couldnt keep his feet in. That scramble pass to Amaro in the end zone where Petty was flushed out (wobbly pass). The deep pass to Amaro that was either alligator armed or Petty overthrew it slightly, and a good pass to the RB that was dropped.

I think when you review the overall body of work for the last 2 games, Geno looks like the inferior QB.

17. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

So you're saying that if they IR someone you think it would be Hack? Hack probably needs the practice more than Petty does, given that he has no NFL experience. Remember that one of the QBs would be IRed only in the scenario where they decided to keep Geno, which I think is unlikely unless Petty crashes and burns in the last 2 preseason games.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

they aren't going to IR anyone unless they are actually hurt. It's a silly thing people throw out there that they think is clever. If no one gets hurt Geno will be cut and everyone that was fine with Petty as a backup prior to Fitz being re-signed will whine about our inexperienced backup and how foolish mac is.

#618 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, please re-read the rationale I used. Hack does NOT need a lot of practice reps until his mechanics are fixed. It would be counterproductive. Petty would need to remain on the active roster since he could be needed to play or the Jets get him some experience late in the year.

20. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

And they don't work like the above either, so what about previously where he had the prefect game against the bills you know the perfect 0 game where he threw 3 interceptions in a row? Sorry bud but you can not pick and choose his stats you take the whole body or none of it. Because everyone pick and choose and do the same thing you are doing. Not only is he not a starting qb in the nfl he may not even be a back up qb if he continues this play and behavior. Besides this should be based on this preseason alone but if bring up previous seasons bring up al the stats.

The pouting the helmet throwing, missing meetings, fights with teammates Leaders don't do that(yes the OK broken jaw thing happened in between the claimed growth of the qb) and qbs are leaders. He has been playing bad football don't believe us believe what former players who are now announcers are saying Terrell Davis on Friday after the game said Smith is playing bad football and has played bad football. His own teammates have to be tired of his turnovers, and after every-time he does it , he is quoted I need to learn from this, well after 42 interceptions in 30 starts what exactly has he learned?

Geno Smith has regressed from year one to know not all of it is on him the Jets coaches have some burden here from yr one till now but he is broken confidence appears shot and needs a fresh start and so do the fans.

Sorry if they cut Petty and keep Smith it is two mistakes, one because Petty has played better when giving the chance so why not see what he can do against the 2's if he does better then smith then it is pretty obvious what needs to be done. It sends the wrong message to the team all jobs are open but if you outperform the qb ahead you because of the starter and draft pick being protected we are cutting you not the guy who sucked.....
    And you can't fault Petty for going out there and doing his job he is playing against the back ups with back ups and putting up numbers. He can only play against what they let him.