Any looming cuts at OL that the Jets can still pick up?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

posted on the wrong thread.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Why the hell would the Cowboys trade for Geno? Their rookie looks better than all of our QBs.

#22 abyzmul, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

haven't really seen him play. I know there was talk of them needing a backup before preseason started.

4. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Dozier was the worst lineman last night by far.

5. abyzmul

Yeah, I think that talk is quickly evaporating. He looks that good. Possibly a preseason anomaly, but I'm not so sure anymore.

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

After the game against the Rams this is what Jerry Jones had to say about Prescott, "I don't see a veteran quarterback on the scene or coming in, as long as we got the uptick arrow of Dak Prescott and, certainly, (Jameill) Showers is included as well."

7. abyzmul

As much as I agree with that quote, Jerry Jones stopped running that team a few years ago. He still retains veto rights and gets to make the occasional hair brained decision, but Stephen Jones has been running that show for a while.

Jerry is now relegated to burying his team under mountains of cash.

8. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Im worried about the right side of our line too. We have ver little talent there. The Jets really need to make this a priority next offseason.

9. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

O-line is the strength of any offense, Jets have currently a weak O-line. Left side of Clady & # 77 Carpenter is good, Center Mangold is getting long in the tooth, right side is a mess.Winters might become & should be groomed as Mangolds replacement down road. RG & RT upgrade needed A.S.A.P.. Maybe some new youth on roster can help or a late cut veteran pick-up. I haven't looked at much tape to see if any new guys have potential....but will keep eyes open.

10. I think Bowles depth chart is set up to give Dozier his best shot to step up & earn a spot given that he was a draft pick & has been in system for 3 years.I've watched Dozier pretty carefully all preseason & TC..mainly b/c I have concerns about the interior OL..something that seems to be a constant weakness for Jets.He's not a dumb player.Alignment & assignment are not an issue for him.Neither is technique from what I've seen. He's getting proper pad level, keeping hands inside,good leverage point...he just isn't strong enough to maintain blocks against the bull rush & can be beaten w/ quickness across his face. Simply put he isn't stout enough for this blocking scheme & isn't a good fit at Guard.He was a compact power tackle in colllege..he likely works alittle better in space.Being only 6'2...Tackle isn't an option for him now. Maybe Center? He can handle the reach/angle blocks the Jets would like to see from a center. If he's a good guy, can handle the transition...maybe he can be another Jonathan Goodwin for team. As for Guard...unless there is nobody better(debatable) I've seen enough.He's alot like Winters. Former small school Tackle w/ a finesse skill set converted to interior.Can do alot of the pretty stuff on the move..but straight up pass pro & drive blocking is a major issue.Both would do better for a finesse/zone scheme like Atlanta or San Diego.

Qvale I could see being a very good RG. He's good in the phone booth & if you remove the hard edge..he's a tough guy to get around. Very long and stout. I don't know if Jets will go that route though b/c w/ his height he may struggle against the undersized quick DL's. Might be best to keep him at RT which is ideal for his skillset.
    Watts has been ok..he's likely the safest bet as a back-up for just the guard spots. Not much upside there though.
    Harrison...I'm not sure. There's been whispers of poor lazy play. The snap count against Jax(7) backs that up..I've paid close attention to him when able..and thought he looked pretty good. But....extremely limited sample size.

The 2 I look at is Shell & Ijalana. While at different points in their careers, they have similar body types & are likely the 2 best back-up OL on team. Ijalana has been a steady back-up here for a few years & he passes the eye ball test. I'd like to think he'd have good success at guard given his size.Can he be any worse at sustaining blocks than Winters?

Shell ideally is one of the future starting OT's. But..if Qvale/Ijalana/Clady are already here...and you're gonna be drafting/acquiring OL very soon..Shell may be able to succeed early at Right guard. He has good pad level,anchor & toughness. The areas he needs work at are aiming points & flattening the edge...both are primarily skills associated w/ Tackle.Perhaps he starts at guard as a rookie & then moves to RT after a year or 2. Forget all the fancy 2nd level blocks that Winters provides & let's worry about a stout,clean crisp pocket for the passer to stand behind, scan the field & find our plethora for quality receivers.Shell & Ijalana can likely handle that.

Freddy Mondo and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Friday night, Winters looked like garbage yet again. Its really hard to believe we can't find anyone (FA or draft) that isn't better.

Peebag likes this.
  12. I agree wholeheartedly. He simply is not stout & gets completely ungulfed by DL of all skill levels. Same deal as Dozier. They keep both of these guys around for their ability on the move. Both can do the pretty Angle blocks & reach blocks on the 2nd, screens/counters/traps etc. Either one would actually make for a decent center..take your pick. But at RG? They simply get beaten up & overpowered.

wewantsapp likes this.
  13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

An Idzik 3rd rounder in 2013 with OT Terron Armstead going 3 picks later

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I know that you pay a lot of attention to the OL and I respect your opinion.

With regards to Dozier, I think it was during last offseason that one of the Jets coaches advised him to work on learning the center position as that might be his best bet to stick in the NFL. I may be wrong, but the problem I see with either of them playing center is that you said they both struggle with stronger DL. Well the center frequently (if not most of the time) is called to block against the NT isn't he? If so, then it seems to me that neither would fare well at center, either.

The problem with your comments that I see is that Ijalana is our backup LT. He has to stay there and focus on being ready should Clady go down with injury again, so he can't be playing OG and risking injury.

15. Armstead really was a workout warrior that responded well to NFL scheme & coaching.He was always a supreme athlete..but his film even at the small school level was good not great.Still he displayed rare physical movement to go along w/ the stature.Saints were set up to take a chance..and great for them.

Winters was a very good prospect to be fair. Mike Westhoff still evaluates players on his own & was high on Winters prior to his drafting.Mike Mayock was also high. He checked off all the boxes so to speak. Good combine.At the senior bowl he was the toughest linemen there, played nasty..and improved as the week went on. There wasn't alot not to like about Winters. I think he went to the wrong team. That's not a shot at the Jets. Just teams look for different kind of lineman to fit their schemes. The Jets like the versatile 5 tool linemen:Size/Strength/Feet/agility/Stout so that they can keep their playbook diverse for all weather/situations. Winters is lacking in a few of those aspects. A more straight forward 1 gap scheme like the Steelers or giants that would take advantage of his short area movement & toughness;A more finesse zone concept where they value movement at the point of attack and then the 2nd level like the Falcons would like Winters very much.He's capable of playing in this league..but he has limitations which the Jets scheme unfortunately exposes.Except...PERHAPS..at Center which many have already eluded to.He'd be working more in space..and his experiece at guard would help him in those dreaded 3-4 match-ups.From a lighter point of view Brian Winters just SOUNDS like the name of a pro bowl Center,no?

16. NCJetsfan

What's your take on Wesley Johnson?

17. NCJetsfan

Did anyone pay much attention to which teams drafted OGs and/or RTs and which might have an older, more expensive OG/RT that they might cut to create some cap space?

18. As bad as the Jets backup OL has been...their hasnt appeared to be alot of confusion or miscommunication. In that regard I'll give Johnson as Center the thumbs up. As the free man in interior pass pro he is adequate, he moves well in space & quick out of his stance. He lacks great pad level..bit of a leaner..he isn't very stout & will lose more battles than he'll win "head up".Poor man's Roger Duffy

As back-up centers go for the "now" he's pretty solid. He can hold the fort down if called upon. But he can be upgraded especially w/ someone alittle more well rounded,better strength & an eye toward the future when #74 hangs em up.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Will the Jets have to deal with waivers if a good lineman gets cut? How about stealing a good young prospect off someone's practice squad?

20. abyzmul

Maybe you should actually do your own fucking research instead of trying to get someone else to do it.

TNJet likes this.