The True QB Battle: Geno Smith vs. Bryce Petty

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 12, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's a nice position to be in and has been a loooooooooooong time coming. I'll take this position any day. It's light years better than coming the waiver wires and camp cuts hoping that we can find a starter or decent depth.

I'm actually glad that the Jets have a QB that they like in Fitz who can start, an experienced backup who could step in and play, and two good young prospects at the QB position. It's better than having no good young prospects at the position. I think that most fans would kill Mac and Bowles if they went into the season without an experienced backup, just as they would have if Mac hadn't re-signed Fitz and went with Geno as the starter. To those fans, every game and every season is important. They weren't willing to sacrifice this year for the future. When fans take that position, it leaves the owner and FO little option but to try to balance the short term with the long term.

tbruner12 and LAJet like this.
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Not surprising

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

[http://a]

Even though Jets coach Todd Bowles says there's no competition between Geno Smith and Bryce Petty for the No. 2 job, it's clear Petty is getting more reps than last week.

[http://a]

NFL 3h

#122 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Jets fans know best bro!!!

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It didn't hurt Dak Prescott. He shouldn't play preseason until week 4, but I would like to see him get more reps in TC.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

TB just isn't gonna give those guys a QB controversy. Geno is #2 for sure. But it doesn't mean it couldn't change. It's safe to say Petty has a way to go yet tho.

Really looking forward to the next two games

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think Petty is going to be the #2 this year if he continues to play well. Geno is good as gone.

RuJFan and Walt White like this.
  7. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

The fact that after Petty and Geno had a similar outing in the first preseason game and Petty is getting more reps tells me the coaching staff thinks Petty is closing the gap. They're giving him more chances to prove that he has done so. This is no coincidence.

One thing I like about Petty is he attacks when he's in the red zone. One touchdown pass his receiver was forced out after they made a great grab, the other Petty held on to the ball for a second too long (though I think this is because he expected the DB to jump it, which they did). A little more experience and he might be able to make both of those passes work.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Could very well be that they liked what they saw in actual game time action. Mac talked about it all along, that they liked him as a #2 with #1 potential, and they would find out in games.

Even the first stringers were watching to see how Petty was doing, you could see some of them keenly interested....There is something there.

Altoona and NotSatoshiNakamoto like this.
  9. Will

Will Well-Known Member

As much as anything it is to see if they want to keep him - Bowles has shown he favours experience over potential based on the squad last year.

Don't read too much into it at this point - more reps today means 20 as to 15 - Geno had a strong day even with the reduced load

10. NCJetsfan

AFAIK, Prescott and Hack are not the same person or player. AFAIK, Prescott's not as good a prospect as Hack and doesn't have his accuracy issues.

Trying to compare what a different CS did with a different player in a different system on a different team is pointless. Further, I hate Dallas and hope that every player that they draft busts, so I could care less what they did.

tbruner12 likes this.
  11. TouchyFeely

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone's getting cut. I agree wholeheartedly that Bowles and co rate experience highly. To me this says, we're liking the progress Petty is making, so lets go get him some more experience. Actions speak louder than Macc telling the press "We like Petty", seeing is believing.

Walt White likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

So you have some major bias in your response. I was surprised he was further along than expected, that shows the benefits of having reps in training camp. The defense he played was vanilla and the receivers were open all day, but Prescott was never the type of QB to make those throws consistently in college. Hack's issues are purely physical, not so much mental so there is no true benefit of giving him the scrap of the barrel.

13. Will

Will Well-Known Member

tiger8mush likes this.
  14. TouchyFeely

15. NCJetsfan

Bias against the Cowboys, not to sound pedagogical principles. I doubt if Hack's issues are purely physical. They almost never are. That's precisely why it can often be difficult to get people to change their basic mechanics. Sometimes, their identity or confidence can be tied up in the way they do things.

Still, as I said, Prescott and Hack are two different players and AFAIK with different issues as QBs. Prescott's issues could be more minor or more mental. He may not have the mechanics issues that Hack has.

16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The more reps for Petty could be quite the opposite from what everyone is speculating.
    It could be that they want to give him a really good look to make certain they want to keep or cut him.

Geno will be the #2, you can take that to the bank.

17. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Geno's problem is that he is dumb. That is difficult to impossible to fix. He has been making the same dumb decisions since he got here and he flashes this dumbness each time is is in the field. I have not seen enough of Petty but it would be nice if he will be able to show enough to earn the #2 if just so we are saved from never having to see Geno's dumbness any more.

Freddy Mondo, PabloJa and rammagen like this.
  18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Except Petty did it against scrubs who probably won't make the team whereas Geno did it against backups/depth players who will make the team. So Petty should have been able to do better against worse competition.

19. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I totally agree! It's been a long time coming since we had depth and true QB position battles. Petty was better than Geno in college I believe, and may help us in the very near future.
    Regardless of who is behind center, I believe one of these guys will step up their game and lead the most talented passing attack we have had in quite a few years. Each of our Qb's played well in pre-season game one.
    I'm sure we were very vanilla in our play choices, and each of our 2nd and 3rd string Qb's who played would have benefitted greatly playing with the 1st string guys.

20. TouchyFeely

Everything's not that black and white and you know that. You can't do everything by yourself. Receivers have to get open, the line needs to keep the pocket clean. Unluckily for Petty, as you said, he had scrubs who probably won't make the team.

rammagen likes this.