With preseason approaching: What are some aspects/players that you'll be focused in on?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 4, 2016.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We'll have a tough time keeping Harris for 2017. We're 1-2M over the projected cap and that's without Fitz and Geno.

2. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Nicely laid out.

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

yeah i had to admit my Harris segment was an over reaction... Love Harris always have.. just lately i've been looking at our future and would like to see our team get younger .. but every team needs a true veteran leader, he's ours along with Mangold.

I'd just like to see them make less money at this point in their careers for the better of the team as a whole... but not leave lol.

4. JetLifeLo

exactly this was all i was saying by Harris may get the Brick treament next summer... didn't mean i want him gone but we need to give him the options of taking a nice pay cut or let him test the free agency, or in Brick's case hang up the cleats.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's going to get cut if he doesn't want to take less money. They structured his contract so that he has no guaranteed money left on the third year and have been filling he roster out with replacements ever since. We'll still need a thumper, but if David Harris wants to be that guy as a 2 down run stopper, I'd imagine he'll have to be willing to take less than the $6.5 million he owed.

It'd be a shame to see him in another uniform and while the Jets front office was a mess after that 2011 season, they've overall done a good job letting older defensive players walk. Calvin Pace, Cromartie (obviously the second time), Shaun Ellis, Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, Brodney Pool, Sione Pouna and the list goes on. I actually forgot how big the overhaul was from 2010 through the end of 2012 was.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  6. JetLifeLo

This is exactly what i meant by "The Brick Treament" . Take the paycut or hopefully just retire. I wouldn't wanna see him on another team either... ESP. a BILLS one.

7. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I mean we don't have many options as we will be 2 mil over the cap with no QB other than Hack and Petty on the roster ...

8. Jetsfansince95

I could only see him back at the Vet minimum maybe 2 mil per season MAX

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

As a fan who's simply trying to scout from my living room while watching on the big screen teliveson: the Jacksonville Jaguars preseason game was an exciting preview for me.

Outside of Hackenberg who appears to be red shirting, players such as Ryan Clady, Bryce Petty, Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake, Darron Lee, Jordan Jenkins, Lorenzo Mauldin, Marcus Williams & Dee Milliner were some of the players who I most wanted to watch. I got to see them all play.

It was nice to see Bryce Petty come in after Geno put up a solid game with a solid outing of his own. Definitely looked more developed when compared to last year's preseason games.

With Ryan Clady, small sample size and didn't hear his name called (good thing) but I was just relived to see him out on the field protecting Fitzpatrick's blind side. Game #3 is when I'll really focus in on Clady @ LT (weird not having Ferguson after 10 season's).

Jalin Marshall had me going ape-shit during his 80+ yard kick-off return. Also had 1 reception for 10 yards as a receiver but he was very explosive/electrifying during his 1st and only KR of the night.

Charone Peake had me smiling all night. Caught all 4 targets (100%) including a beautiful back shoulder TD reception inside the end zone while getting both feet down inbounds on 3rd down. That. Was an NFL caliber play right there. Kid saved Geno's night with that one.

Was refreshing to see youth, speed and athletism from our linebackers core. Rejuvenating to see some of that speed standing & jumping out through the teliveson. Lee recorded a sack while leading the game with two tackles for loss behind the L.O.S. Was nice to see Maudlin applying edge pressure from the outside while forcing the quarterback out of the pocket and into an incomplete pass thrown right into the ground. Jordan Jenkins appears to have really good size as well. Involved in two tackles but looked to have a junkyard dog type of nose for the ball. Side note: David Harris seems to appreciate the youth movement at LB with a game high recording 4 tackles during minimum playing time.

I don't remember seeing McDougle on the field but I remember not being pleased with our younger corners in Marcus Williams & Dee Milliner. Skrine was fine but Williams got beat bad by a quick M.Lee on a deep slant and Milliner was just on the wrong side of the Blake Bortles & Allen Robinson show. But at the end of the night it's just nice to see Milliner currently on the field and off the I.R.

Come this Friday @ 7:30 on the road against the Washington Redskins I'll be once again focused on watching these same kids take the field.

Really can't wait to see more of Jalin returning more kickoffs as well as more time at slot receiver, Peake competing on the outside, Both Geno and Petty under Center (on the road), younger LB's & CB's looking to make plays etc.

Jeremy Ross really looked nice so I'll be keeping note. Another player who I'll be keeping a closer eye on is Freddy Bishop. Someone mentioned him earlier within this thread before the Jags game. He's a real sleeper of an OLB. Actually practiced with the 1s today and made the most of his opportunity; recording two sacks.

#89 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  10. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

After watching him go against Jax, do you still think it's debatable?

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Not only will I begin to focus in on Freddy Bishop (26 years of age) as a sleeper for a backup OLB position but the likes of a defensive end in Shelby Harris (25 years of age) and a safety in Rontez Miles are all starting to become intriguing.

All three phases of the defense too with Harris on the D-Line, Bishop at linebacker (outside) and Miles within the 3rd level at Safety. It looks like all 3 have a chance of making the team as backups.

As a fan base it feels like it's been forever since we've been able to focus on this much offseason/preseason depth.

In closing it's a little alarming that Matt Forte has been out for this long with a hamstring with the season approaching and its nice to know Khiry Robinson is now off the PUP list, but would be a shame if we don't get to witness him at HB throughout the remainder of preseason.

I want this kid as our 3rd HB behind Forte & Powell. A smaller back but I absolutely love the aggressive nature in which he runs with in terms of hitting the hole with quickness and strength/power when coming out of his cuts. At 6'0/220 he has tree trunk legs and built like a Chris Ivory.

#91 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Obviously. Williams got beat just as bad. So did Skrine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I'm a Lorenzo Mauldin fan & was a little disappointed last Thursday night. I know its tough going against the LT, but Jordan Jenkins definitely stood out more to me. And I know that LoMaul was not happy with his performance in general. But I sure am interested in seeing Freddie Bishop get chances to play vs the 1st-Teamers. I was impressed with Josh Martin as well at OLB.

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Me too. I've been a little reserved in my expectations about Mauldin, pretty much all along. Right now Jenkins looks to me a better player.

What about E. Henderson? I was a little disappointed in him too. Anything is better than D. Davis tho. Bruce Carter who came in later and he looked okay. I'm excluding Lee here for the time being

We'll still get plenty to look at yet of course in the next couple of games

15. Jetsfansince95

This week I'll be looking at our backup linebackers (Bishop, Stanford, Jones) and defensive linemen (Harris, Barney, Thomas) who played pretty well last week ... and reports out of camp are pretty positive. as well as Petty.

#95 Jetsfansince95, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hackenberg will play so that should be exciting to see. Looking forward to seeing Lee build on what he did last week. A more solid performance from Lorenzo as well.

17. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Rontez Miles has shown some potential. I think he's a solid depth guy, I hope they find a spot for him. He plays some special teams too. Ugly fucker though, no eyebrows.

18. DefenseWinsChampionships

Just read a report where the title was worded as "Jets plan to play Christian Hackenberg vs. Washington Friday" per Todd Bowles.

This is assuming all things go as planned. "That's the plan" Bowles said. "We'll see how it works out".

Bowles also stated regarding not playing Hackenberg vs. Jacksonville that it "would've been a disservice to put Hackenberg in with such little preparation" followed by "he's had much more practice reps this week than the week before".

Even if it's only two or three series I'm really looking forward to paying close attention to fundamental details such as if Hackenberg's got his left foot back when in shotgun" etc.

What I like most about this Hackenberg kid, is that he's got a very high I.Q and understating of the quarterback position. Was running N.E's complex offense under Bill O'Brien at the age of only 18 while also using Tom Brady's hand signals and alerts at the L.O.S. Has been under center while being asked to read defenses, audible out, check down, change formation, line change & call plays within a pro style offense.

After being hit so many times behind Penn State's offensive line it'll be interesting to see his composure and confidence once on an NFL field because with confidence and improved foot work this kid has all the physical tools in the world but more importantly has the mind and i.q needed for the position. Smart kid.

#98 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Freddie Bishop has been getting some reps with our 1's. For a sleeper he's certainly held his own thus far throughout camp.

I'll tell you what a sack of Kirk Cousins tonight and that would then solidify his roster spot as our backup pass rushing OLB.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

This Saturday it'll be interesting to see how Geno Smith responds as the #2 after a poor display against Washington. Could be make or break/do or die for Geno vs. the Giants.

Really haven't seen too much of Fitzpatrick this offseason so I'll be focused on his overall efficiency throughout the 1st half. Hopefully able to gain some momentum/confidence heading into the season.

The player I'm most looking forward to seeing take the field is Matt Forte. Have read nothing but positive reports since returning to the practice field after his hamstring injury. I believe he's ranked top 3 over the past 5 season's in All-Purpose Yards from schrimage and just look at these highlights below (from only last year); he's still got it.

He'll be tremendous for offenses overall potential especially within the passing game. He's a true 3 down back in terms of running the rock, catching out of the backfield along with pass protection ability. Fitzpatrick will have a dynamic pass catching trio to work with in Marshall, Decker and Forte this up coming season. Should be fun to watch.

#100 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Walt White and twown like this.