Official 2016 Training Camp Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Guy calling someone else defensive spends his Saturday night getting defensive over something that was over 36 hours ago. Love this place.

3. BroadwayAaron

This is just something people without a leg to stand on resort to when they are frustrated and can't find an answer. I'm far from a homer. I've disagreed with a ton of things we've done. I hated the Revis contract. Stupidly hated that we took Mauldin in the 3rd over Duke Johnson. I've also liked a lot of things that ended up being duds. See: Devin Smith, although that jury is still out.

I'm assuming you get it by now.

I gotta tell ya, I don't think I've ever posted anywhere about any of my teams where I've been called a "SOJF dark sider" in one thread and a homer in the next. It's how you know falling back on "homerism" as a retort is desperate and lazy.

4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Shut up about this shit already. Nobody cares.

5. BroadwayAaron

Blame the guy who dug up a 24 hour old post just to get some sort of Internet win to boost his confidence.

Ok ok back to football...

Maybe it's just me but yesterday was the first time I can recall hearing about Jalin Marshall getting reps with the ones. When Brandon Marshall had to take a few plays off because of the heat, Jalin made some grabs from Fitz. It also could be because Thompkins sat out practice, but you normally don't have undrafted free agents practicing with your starters. Irrationally excited about this kid, and also hoping this isn't just another Spadola situation. Although this kid seems to be doing way more than the occasional grab against the 3s.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

so was it a punch or not? I gotta know. I define punch as closed-fisted btw, not no girly open handed slap

7. BroadwayAaron

Also I totally forgot about Bruce Carter. We knew at the time of signing him that he could end up being a player for us despite disappointing elsewhere because of the players he's able to play next to here. He's been rotating with a few other guys playing with the ones and apparently making some plays while doing so.

Carter, McClendon, Bishop, Marshall... All guys that were dirt cheap (relatively speaking) that could have an actual impact on our team this year. I've been waiting for a Jets general manager to build this way for what seems like a decade.

wewantsapp likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When Abyz starts a new thread to continue the discussion, what will he name it???

9. Sixto

Sixto Member

I was at Camp yesterday (Saturday).
    Overall a nice time, started a little before 5:30 until 7-ish.
    Most of the highlights were tweeted by the beat writers.
    I tried to watch every throw by all four QB's.
    I left really worried about Hackenberg's accuracy.
    As an example, the last two plays of the entire practice were two misses low: easy short throws.
    He didn't get many reps at all, did make a few, but some were just way off.
    And then after practice completed, as others were signing autographs, both Petty and Hackenberg went to field-2 to continue throwing.
    At one point it was just them throwing to each other and at one point I looked over and Hackenberg threw a ball 20-30 feet over Petty's head, and I just worried.
    Man, I sure hope there's a way to fix this, or hopefully just a bad day.
    But then last night I just thought why am I worrying about our 4th string QB.

10. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Because we spent a 2nd rounder on him. It's justified.

11. BroadwayAaron

Ah yea, another example for team "I don't have an actual answer for you so I'm just going to call you at homer"... Hackenberg. I really hate that we hear nothing but bad things, with the exception of a few throws, about our 2nd round pick. Then again, he shouldn't have been a 2nd round pick so it's not his fault.

12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Kid will be on the bench studying under Chan for 2 years and your worried about 2 errant passes in a preseason practice on August 6th, that a training camp visitor saw, when he had no reps the whole practice...by the way Mccaggan was gushing about him on the Michael Kay show the other day, but what does he know

13. BroadwayAaron

I mean he picked him in the 2nd round. No shit he thinks highly of the kid. Do you know any GMs that don't speak highly of someone they take in the 2nd? That doesn't make them right.

14. matt robinson 17

So a spectator saw him throw 2 meaningless bad passes in an Aug 6th practice time to panic...no shit

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The takeaway for me here is that he's out there working on it after practice. It may be something that he can never work out, but it won't be for lack of effort.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  16. matt robinson 17

1st thing Fitz said about him, he's like a sponge, soaking up knowledge....hard worker, looking to Improve

NYJetsO12 and jcass10 like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

not worried about Hack at this point. For once our New York Jets are handling a young QB properly. They aren't putting any time frame out there. They are keeping him humble by not handing anything to him, they are pushing him just enough by making him compete with another young QB, they got 2 vets in front of him from which to learn how to be a professional from.... one the right way and one the wrong way lol. And the kid seems to be taking that role seriously. I don't care if he sails passes playing catch after practice.

18. matt robinson 17

Voice of reason, Browning, I agree

19. Sixto

Sixto Member

Hey guys, I'm a diehard just as the rest of you. Certainly wasn't meaning to start a debate. Just after reading all the comments about Hack's accuracy and PFF's trashing of him, and the talk of Hack being our starter in a year or two, I'd try to look at every throw during practice whether it was on the field or off on the side. I watched all 4 QB's, every throw. I was there with my son and we both left slightly worried about Hack based on everything we saw.

Now maybe it was just one bad day, maybe he'll be great. I sure hope so. I guess the thing that really stuck in my head was when they were throwing alone on field-2 after practice and Hack threw the ball way over Petty's head. Now yeah it was just 5-10 throws, so a small sample size, but we were watching all 4 QB's for 2 hours and Hack definitely jumped out as being less accurate, but again, I hope/pray, this get fixed. Yes, you could explain it away as him getting less reps.

One other thing ... the kid is a sponge. During most every rep of every QB, Hack went up to huddle to hear and track what was going on. It was nice to see.

And he definitely is taller and looks the part more then the other 3.

#219 Sixto, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  20. Sixto

Sixto Member

One other thing ... Fitz looked fine. Looked like a leader on the field.

Also was a great turn-out ... Decker playing with his kids on the grass after practice, hanging with the Fitz family. Great autograph section for kids. It's a great facility.

BrowningNagle likes this.