Worse Day at the Airport ever

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by MParty7441, Feb 19, 2006.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Holy old members on page 1
    I don't get how you can post here for years, then suddenly just never again.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

~ The Ending ~

[​IMG]

3. NYJalltheway

I've seen that before..what a crazy dash cam. Wish there was a story behind it..

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

There is. Basically a bunch of heavily armored vehicles were not properly strapped into the military transport aircraft and once one broke through and started to slide back, it broke loose another and another and another putting all the weight in the back, something no plane could come out of.

My brother is an ex-marine fighter pilot and he said as soon as the crew heard one armored vehicle break loose they knew they were dead.

Just awful.

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/shif...t-in-deadly-bagram-cargo-plane-crash-1.327555

Shifting of MRAPs being looked at in deadly Bagram cargo-plane crash

DETROIT — A shifting of heavily armored military vehicles is being examined as a possible factor in the 2013 crash of a cargo plane in Afghanistan that killed six crew members from Michigan and one from Kentucky, the National Transportation Safety Board said Tuesday.

Its 86-page report is described as a summary of operational factors in the crash and does not reach conclusions on what caused it. The agency said its findings on the cause are still to come.

The Dubai-bound Boeing 747-400 plane was being operated by National Air Cargo when it crashed just after takeoff from Bagram Air Base on April 29, 2013. It was carrying 207 tons of cargo, including five Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles weighing 12 to 18 tons each. It picked them up at Camp Bastion, Afghanistan, and took on 53 tons of fuel at Bagram before taking off for Dubai.

"According to National Airlines, the captain and first officer did not have prior experience carrying mine-resistant armored vehicles, and it was the first time National Airlines had transported 18-ton military vehicles," the report said.

The flight took longer than originally planned when Pakistan refused permission for the plane to use its air space for a direct flight from Camp Bastion to Dubai, and Taliban forces opened fire on Camp Bastion, delaying the plane's arrival by about an hour, the report said.

"While the plane was still on the ramp in Bagram, the captain was made aware of a broken strap found by one of the other crewmembers, and the cockpit crew had a discussion about a possible shift of the cargo load during landing in Bagram," the report said. "There was additional discussion on re-securing the load prior to departure."

Orlando, Fla.-based National Airlines had recently moved its headquarters from Michigan's Willow Run Airport, west of Detroit. National Airlines is a subsidiary of National Air Cargo.

The crash killed navigator Jamie Brokaw, of Monroe, Mich.; maintenance worker Gary Stockdale, 51, of Romulus, Mich.; pilots Brad Hasler, 34, of Trenton, Mich., and Jeremy Lipka, 37, of Brooklyn, Mich.; first officer Rinku Summan, 32, of Canton, Mich.; loadmaster Michael Sheets, 36, of Ypsilanti, Mich.; and maintenance crewman Timothy Garrett, 51, of Louisville, Ky.
    _

5. NYJalltheway

Just insane to think about, your life just suddenly being over out of nowhere like that. You would think they would have an emergency exit ejection somehow..

The bright side is it was probably only a few deaths instead of a few hundred.

Thanks for posting btw.

It said they were aware of a broken strap. They just ignored it?

6. JStokes

No emergency ejection seat in any plane that size. It's only in the smaller fighter/attack/bomber type jets. Also too little time to react and even if they somehow could have jumped, too low for chutes to open.

Yeah, the straps thing is curious.

_

7. NYJalltheway

Well they should make them in all planes imo. Just change the front of the plane's roof.

Did it go bad right after take off? Or did it slowly get worse when they were already that high up?

8. JStokes

Apparently, once the nose went up the armored vehicles started cascading to the back, he gave it full throttle but the weight distribution was fatally done at that point and he could not have tried to re-land the plane. Literally minutes after they took off. The plane never got more than maybe a 1000 feet off the ground.

_

9. NYJalltheway

Crazy how they would have all this specific information without being on board. I'm not sure flying lots of 18 ton vehicles is smart in the first place. Hell Idk what would make it that heavy.

10. JStokes

Armored vehicles are heavy and the need to be transported by plane.

Here's a good brief article and video recreation of what may have occurred.

http://theaviationist.com/2013/05/01/animation-

_

11. NYJalltheway

Primary thing to learn here is that 7 people died because of a war type situation.

I imagined the vehicles were all spread out, not in a row like that. Based on that graphic, I would think every vehicle was snapped out of position somehow. Seems illogical

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Can't believe I wasted my time reading this stinker of a thread. Funny how only a few current posters posted in that thread, and how many were banned (permanently). I recognized some names that I don't see posting now, because I read this forum for years before posting.

Royal Tee likes this.
  13. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Who the fuck are you?

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

5 minute mark or so of this routine reminded me of this

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

My shining moment at TGG. A 10 year old thread that can still make it to the front page.

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So you got that going for you. Which is nice.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Reminds me of when twombles beat junc in the BS Bowl.

Satan likes this.
  18. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Yeah, it's weird.

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

^^^^ Just for shits and giggles....