The wildcard......Amaro

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hectorfor3, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The ESPN boys were at Jets camp on Tuesday and interviewed Decker. He made a point of saying that in addition to himself and Marshall the offense should kick it up a notch with Forte and the tight ends seeing more pass action. Does anyone think he was just making this up or speculating on his own?

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, Gailey hardly ever uses TEs. Unless of course he won't be using him as a TE to begin with, I could see them using him more as a third receiver.

3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Every time i see someone say Gailey does not use his TEs, i am wondering if that someone has looked at the TEs Gailey has had to work with. In all his years as OC who did Gailey have to work with? He had Gonzalez for one year and Scott Chandler for 2. Gonzalez as could be expected put up over 1000 yards and Chandler had 81 receptions and almost 1000 yards over 2 seasons. Who else has he had? Seriously, what OC is going to get production out of the likes of Hunter Goodwin and Johnathan Stupar? Just like every other OC, he can only utilize what he is given. If Amaro has improved his blocking skills I expect Gailey to get him pretty heavily involved in the O.

I'll point out that i had to use Scott Chandler as an example of one of Chan's top TEs. That gives a good indication that he really has not had much of anyone to work with.

4. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I think Amaro will lineup a lot as a receiver this year.

Jetaho likes this.
  5. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

#65 Truth4U2, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  6. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

He has more then enough ability to be a threat for us as a receiving TE. If he grinds like he's been so far in TC he will be a positive for us this season for sure.

7. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Exactly. He's still learning to block so I don't see him as an every down TE on the end of the line. Where he will provide value is in creating mismatches in the slot and on the outside, which in turn will open up things for Decker and Marshall

8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Jets can release him, to see if P*ts are going to fuck us with Amaro. If yes, we should keep him.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you're going to try to quote me, at least get it right. I also watch the Panthers and the Packers. The other poster was the one calling the rest of us idiots. I responded to his tone in kind
    The Star Ledger highlighted Amaro in practice #5. I really like what I read. As I've said before, I didn't want the Jets to draft him, but now that he's a Jet, I'm rooting for him. I'm encouraged by his progress in route running and blocking. Even more encouraging is that he seems to be earning additional reps with the starters. What Gailey and Bowles think of him and his development is the only thing that matters. If he develops, it will be huge because not only will it not be a wasted 2nd round pick, but he will provide a nice big target for the Jets' QBs this year and going forward, and could be huge for the Jets on 3rd downs and in the Red Zone.

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Chan Gailey is a Coach that uses the players that he has to get the most out of them for the team to succeed. The best coaches will use the players however it will help the team and the players to succeed.
    He is a not a coach that will try to fit players into a system whether they fit or not, or a guy that doesn't use every tool at his disposal because he's limited any position from his 'system'.

Some writer said last year that Chan was a 'system specific' coach that had a certain amount of limited roles in his offense and it gained traction. It's not true.

And Fitz said exactly that, and more about Gailey on Jets Nation on Sunday.

The Gailey pick by TB took some shots by the pundits in the media..... and it turned out well anyway. Some the crap they said was pure myth.

He's a damn good coach

Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Amaro has an Instagram post of him running a 4.28 40.

Guy is going to get some balls thrown at him if he is getting free.

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jace-amaro?id=2543481

he was a top performer for his position at the combine in six of seven categories while being one of the bigger TEs in the draft

you stay wrong, dude

13. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Amaro has lost 16lbs this off season which will make him faster but he has stated he lost no power - trimmer and able to have improved stamina. This together with working on his hands will IMHO lead to a big year for the Jets - his blocking is going to be a work in progress but if we have B Marshall / Decker / Forte / Amaro and one more capable receiver on the field who do you blitz and who do you cover. 3 of the guys are 6'4" or taller so they can beat smaller corners or outrun most LBs - should be fun to watch if Chan can scheme it up like we know he can!!!

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

It warms my heart for someone to provide evidence that so clearly shows a loudmouth to be wrong--thanks! :p:p:p

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  15. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

The reports out of camp are promising. If he can catch 50 balls and open it up for guys on the outside the Jets may be contenders this year

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I agree although I believe it'll be the other way around. As in pass catching options such as Marshall, Decker & Forte/Powell coming out of the backfield (all as pass catching options) as the one's who'll open it up for Amaro to have an impact, especially down the seems and within the red one as a big body target.

In short he'll be in much better position for success here in 2016 when compared to that of only his rookie season.

I'll admit I've been as critical of Fitzpatrick as anyone in terms of his efficiency in terms of ranking near the very bottom regarding completion percentage, INT's thrown, average yards per attempt and overall QB Rating. But when thinking back all Fitz really had were two pass catching options in Marshall/Decker & at times Powell.

With the additions of a great pass catching Forte coming out of the backfield along with having a pass catching TE in Amaro as a TE; I believe we should all expect a more efficient Fitzpatrick. Enenuwa having another year within the system along with a prospect in Jalin Marshall could also be helpful.

17. NCJetsfan

A top performer in his category (TEs). Look at who the other TEs were in that draft class. There was no Vernon Davis in that draft class. He looks smoother now, but go back and watch tape of him running and moving at Texas Tech. He looked anything but smooth and athletic.

18. NCJetsfan

Good point. The lost weight makes him more agile and athletic.

I'm starting to get some excitement about the kid and hopefully, will wind up glad we drafted him. If he can develop, Chan will scheme it up. If Fitz can then make good decisions and get the ball to the receivers downfield, we could wind up with a very potent offense.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'll agree to disagree. For Amaro's size he's very athletic and can also run after the catch.

The kid put up 106 receptions for 1,352 receiving yards & 7 TD receptions as a junior before heading into the draft. Also, there's some type of fake/false/untrue myth of Amaro not catching the ball downfield with Texas Tech and/or all he did was run 5 yards and turn around. All false information.

20. NCJetsfan

No one said that we had to agree. Nor did I or anyone say that 5 yard patters was all he did at Texas Tech, but I remember reading a statistic somewhere that 90% (or more) of his passes were within 5 yards of the LOS. I didn't watch every single catch he made and the author of the quote may have been mistaken, but I distinctly remember reading that. I also watched 3-4 of his game tapes and that percentage looked to be accurate.