The wildcard......Amaro

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hectorfor3, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Id argue that TE is one of more of the harder positions to transition to in the NFL seeing that Jace just turned 24 last month theres still so much more room to grow. You have to learn how to be a receiver and a blocker at the same time and being that he came from Texas Tech in that spread system he never blocked out there. Those who are critical especially when the guy is so young baffle me. How was he supposed to be successful at such a young age being so inexperienced given the circus this place was a couple of years ago. He actually put up good numbers for a rookie 38 rec 345 yes and 2 tds. Thats with limited playing time because he wasn't always in as a rookie. I bet he breaks out this year, he's finally growing into his body and Chan will find ways for him to succeed in the slot. Having Marshall seems to have really benefited this team in more ways than i could have imagined., good job for him rubbing off on Jace.

donkey likes this.
  2. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

shit on here is brutal. the guy was a rookie, then he was injured all of year 2, and you all are acting like hes a bust. lets see what he can do as a non-rookie. i'm expecting him to emerge. he was too good of a pass catcher in college to suck at this level, it can happen, but rare

3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

All he has to do now is put stickum on those gloves and it's HOF time

4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Truly amazes me how some people can declare a player a bust after only playing 1 season.

Truth4U2 likes this.
  5. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

This is crazy talk. This is a young high round pick. Very athletic. He had a respectable rookie season. If he bloosoms into a pass catcher, with Decker and Marshall on either side, Quincy in the slot he can open allow for some serious mismatches.

Truth4U2 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He is not very athletic imo. Have you seen him play? He looks stiff and lumbers somewhat when he runs.

What route running ability? That is not something he's known for. At Texas Tech over 90% of his receptions were within 5 yards of the LOS and he was almost never covered on those routes. I want him to succeed because that's what's best for the Jets, but let's not get carried away giving him attributes that he doesn't yet possess.

In addition, you don't drop all the passes he did his rookie season and last year before he was injured without having some questions about his hands or his catching technique. The article today where it was revealed that Brandon Marshall had helped him with his hand/catching technique, was very enlightening and explained why Amaro was having problems. Hopefully, those should be resolved.

At 6'5" and 260-270 pounds and being a TE, he should be a good blocker, I don't care what kind of system Texas Tech used. He played high school football didn't he? He knew he wanted to play in the NFL and knew he'd need to learn to block. I hope he can develop into a good blocker, but I'll believe it when I see it. I think he's soft mentally. If he's even half the athlete that some of you claim he is, with his size he ought to have been running over people in college and didn't. He was tackled pretty easily.

7. NCJetsfan

You're the only idiot calling other posters idiots because we don't agree with you. No one's "bitching," either. We're just stating our opinion.

8. NCJetsfan

Very athletic? ROFLMAO THAT is crazy talk imo. If you think he is "very athletic" then imo you don't know what "athletic" means. I hope he does blossom into a great receiver, but first and foremost, he needs to grow a pair and learn to use his big frame to block. He looks like a pussy on the field to me.

9. NCJetsfan

I won't debate whether TE is one of the harder positions to transition to in the NFL, but to say that a TE coming into the NFL has to learn how to catch and block is absurd imo. If he doesn't already know how to do both, he shouldn't have been drafted high. Someone of Amaro's size should have been a devastating blocker in college and should have been running over people like Bavaro used to. He didn't because he's mentally and physically soft.

I'm critical of him because I thought he'd be a wasted draft pick. I wanted any TE in that draft other than Amaro. I don't think that Bowles is going to be satisfied with just a pass-catching TE. He wants a man that can block and be a true 2-way TE. If Amaro can't turn into that, imo his time here will most likely be short.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This made me LOL

FJF likes this.
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Interesting to say the least

13. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

"I don't watch any football other than the Jets, but hey, you're an idiot and your football opinion is wrong!"

14. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

he has p[layed better and his hands are good... he has worked on his blocking and as the poster poin

There are multiple reports (tweets by media - on another site) that he is having a good camp relative to pass catching and he is holding his own blocking. The comment you made about Bowles wanting a blocking TE/true TE is suspect since they only had a blocking TE last year. Lets hope for the teams' sake he can put it together.

BTW - go read Jets.Com News clippings there are some articles on his improvement.

15. NCJetsfan

Yes there have been a couple of articles (I've read them) within the last day or two that give signs of hope with Amaro saying that he has worked on his catching technique and is catching the ball well in camp so far, also saying that he worked hard on his blocking during the offseason. There has also been a report that Jarvis Jenkins abused him and made him look bad on an attempted block.

My comment about Bowles wanting a true 2-way TE is not suspect. Amaro himself said that he knows that if he's going to get to play, that he has to improve his blocking. Kellen Davis wound up starting last year and probably will still be on the team because of his blocking ability. Cumberland is no longer on the team because of his lack of blocking ability (and lack of receptions). Enunwa is liked because he is a good blocker. Also, if you know anything at all about Bowles and his coaching style, he wants complete football players. Fundamentals are key with him. Especially with their OL being questionable, they need a TE who is a solid blocker. IMO one of the reasons that Bohannon was on the team last year, and is being projected by the media to still be on the team this season is his supposed blocking ability and having good hands as a receiver. I'm hoping that Amaro can win the starting TE job proving to be a solid, consistent blocker and a good receiver. With the addition of Forte, Powell back, Enunwa's receiving and blocking skills, and Amaro as a starter at TE, I'm hoping Bowles won't see the need to keep Bohannon. I think he (Bohannon) is a wasted roster spot. Davis could function as the FB or one of the backup OL.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

you forgot" ROFLMFAO"

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ I think we both know what this is code for..

#57 joe, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    slimjasi likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i thought that only pertained to qbs

19. NCJetsfan

Touché

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the article about Amaro working with Brandon Marshall on his catching form. I don't want to jinx him but he's having a great camp so far. He has looked good as a blocker and catcher. He had 3 nice catches today and made a great adjustment on one of them. I just hope and pray that Jace can stay healthy, he has a high ceiling and could fill a vital role on the offense, a role that the Jets severely lacked last season.