Its Gino time once and for all

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Decker was dealing with hamstring problems for a majority of the year. He put up decent numbers considering - it was clear to me that Geno recognized this was his only real talented pass catcher and went to him often.

Harvin is a gimmick WR that our OC split out wide way too often (or put in the backfield to run dive plays!?!?).

Kerley was JAG - that's been proven by what he's gone on to do under different regimes.

Amaro was a rookie who struggled. The enigmatic Cumberland got a majority of the snaps at TE. He sucked. Big time.

The running game was as strong as it could be considering we had some horrid relievers out there and a QB who was a bad fit for the scheme.

Let me list some of the WR's I remember Geno having to play with: David Nelson (who was our #1 a few occasions!), a washed-up Santonio Holmes, Greg Salas, Walter Powell, Chris Owusu, TJ Graham and Salim Hakim.

That's a pretty wretched cast of characters. I'm not sure how anyone can feel that the talent levels are similar. That receiving group was pretty widely recognized as the worst in the league (could probably make a case for all-time).

Geno wasn't ready and was a bad fit so he absolutely contributed to the poor offense - but those are not the conditions that you put in place to help a young QB in to get a true evaluation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4jetfans, NCJetsfan and abyzmul like this.
  2. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

No, it is not. Fuck Geno or Gino. The proper spelling is S H I T.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Ok, the bolded is where the revisionist history by Geno supporters is coming in.
    you think we went from a 'wretched cast of characters', which were 'widely recognized as the worst in league maybe all-time', to a solid set of options in a year?

Just look at the rosters:

WR: Harvin, Decker, Kerley, Owusu, Graham, Enunwa, Powell
    TE: Amaro, Cumberland, Sudfeld
    RB: Ivory, Powell

WR: Marshall, Decker, Thompkins, Enunwa, Devin Smith (injured), Owusu (injured), Kerley (not used)
    TE: Cumberland, Davis
    RB: Ivory, Stacy, Powell (injured)

Where is the dramatic improvement that put us from 'maybe worst of all-time' to very respectable?
    We added Marshall, which was huge, but that's about it. The talent may have even downgraded otherwise due to injury.

The talent excuse isn't a good explanation for some of Geno's performances in 2014, which included some of the worst QB play i've ever witnessed (Buffalo game in particular)..
    The big difference in 2015 was Marshall and Fitzpatrick.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

you are missing one point Fitz is not on the roster and Geno is the best QB currently on the roster. Sure hope he has improved or this will be a long season.

5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

#FuckOffFitz

6. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Chan Gailey makes a huge difference. You reference that Geno had Powell. Well, Powell has been on this roster for several years and hasn't been used until this past year. Was it because Geno didn't utilize him or because he wasn't in MM's game plan?

Maybe it's the PED's :p

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

downgraded talent is laughable

adding marshall also allowed decker to go from a middle of the pack split end to one of the best slot receivers in the league ... that improved two positions significantly

harvin was a mid season acquisition who didnt play for the jets until week 8 ... geno was benched soon thereafter, they hardly played together

powell barely played in 2014. chris johnson and ivory received the bulk of the RB touches

owusu started the season in tampa and ended up playing five games for the jets

enunwa played in all of one game

tj graham was signed a month into the season ... and he sucks

2015 winters >> 2014 winters ... he improved from awful to serviceable

carpenter is a huge upgrade over colon

all of that is on top of chan gaileys offense being way better than morningwoods

your post is a steaming pile of bullshit

NCJetsfan and RexontheBeach like this.
  8. BacktoQueens

We were talking about talent, and the talent excuse for Geno.
    Gen0 was a terrible fit for Marty's offense, but it's another topic entirely.

9. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

It's hard to utilize talent that isn't on the field.

10. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Geno is a dunderhead, that's a given. However, I think a lot of it has to do with how those players were being used in 2014. Harvin while good(when he's healthy and sane) doesn't alter the complexion of the WR core the way Marshall did.

I'm not a fan of Geno but I would still like to see what he could do with these offensive weapons and Chan Gailey's offense. At the very least for a game or two during the pre season. If he could cut down on the jittery play and learn to throw out of bounds he could be alright.

I feel like the Jets are looking at Hack as the future here and just want a 2 year hold over at QB. It could be Geno or it could be Fitz. The problem is one is old and looking to be paid like a competent starter (again) rather than a one year wonder and the other guy is still on a rookie deal. When the difference between the two is maybe 2 wins at a time when those two wins aren't going to get the Jets any closer to the SB.

#290 hastygreen, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  11. BacktoQueens

Break down by position group for me..

RB: there clearly was no upgrade
    TE: we actually managed to downgrade due to injuries

WR: Marshall was a huge upgrade, and I'd agree he indirectly made Decker better. The depth beyond that was all similar.
    I don't buy how Harvin, Decker, and Kerley comprised an all-time bad set of weapons.

Oline: Carpenter was much better than Aboushi/Winters. Winters was a slight downgrade from Colon, and our Tackles regressed.
    overall, not a huge difffernce, although sacks somehow dropped dramatically.

if you are seeing a massive talent increase there, you are fooling yourself.

#291 BacktoQueens, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  12. BacktoQueens

give him a look during preseason, sure..
    just don't gamble the entire season on some whimsical notion that he's somehow matured as a player and leader.

at the very least I'd try to trade for a vet like McCown, and hold a competition if we cannot come to terms with Fitz.

13. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

That's the thing, we don't know what he is right now. He was clearly in the lead last season until he was popped on the jaw. I feel like they like his tools and feel like he's improved enough to start. We won't know about the kid's head until we toss his ass out there.

I agree that we should look at another vet. They clearly don't want to play Hack this year and I don't know what is going on with Petty. As it stands we effectively have a QB 2 and two QB 3.5's

14. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

http://nypost.com/2014/11/19/jets-receiver-decker-finally-over-hamstring-injury/

Decker injured his hamstring in training camp. It lingered all the way to the bye week (week 10).

It forced him to miss some games and left him limited in others. That's a huge impact on our receiving corps during the 1st half of the season. Before we acquired the "game changer" known as Percy Harvin.

The 2 WR's you are citing as making 2014's skill positions as equivalent had a limited impact that season.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4jetfans likes this.
  15. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Was at the Eagles game last year, Saw Devin Smith break down the sideline and had defender beat by 10 yards and Fritzy
    did not have the arm strength to hit him in stride. That was an easy pass and catch touch down. Could not help but think Geno
    could have made that throw. Why not save some money and see what this kid can do. JMO

16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Good riddance Geno

17. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think its undeniable that Geno didnt have nearly the weapons Fitz had to work with. Marshall, Decker in the slot... its no comparison. And its very possible that Geno could put up similar to better numbers as Fitz did last year with the same talent.

But the fact is, the Jets brain trust decided the chance that Geno could excel in this system wasn't strong enough to hand him over the keys. Its a function of leadership and maturity. Fitz is a man. Geno is a boy. Sorry...

Good luck to him in his post Jets career.

18. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

FlaJet likes this.
  19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up.....I guess they really feel they can make a run at it and Geno is a question mark at best.

I know coming from me people will give me shit, but Geno still needs to work hard as ever. If he folds and doesn't step up his game because Fitz is back, I would move on. It would prove to me he doesn't have it mentally.....Up to him this point forward because you do need a reliable back up

PulseJet likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

>
    "Its Gino time once and for all..."

FlaJet likes this.