Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

amen! except that i would not resign him.
    somebody will cut a reliable vet backup at some point.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I'd say night before camp gotta rescind offer and move on.

I liked the run last year, I completely appreciated his guts and play, but in the end he's a stopgap guy and we still missed playoffs with a fairly decent schedule.

Take nothing away from 2015 but we humbly need to move on and just focus on who is here and who wants to be here.

macbk and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm glad that a few of us at least get it. It seems like most posters here are only focused on this season and immediate gratification. They give no importance to the future at all.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

It's twofold for the future of the franchise....Save money and evaluate Geno in a good environment.

I could understand going with a veteran if I definitely felt we had a legitimate shot to make noise in the post-season with whoever it was

But Fitz is a "never-was" and last year was his absolute upside in my estimation

No point in paying extra for the right to be mediocre and not much more while hurting our future in the process

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

And Geno Smith is part of the future?

Giving Fitzpatrick a cheapo contract that pays him backup money the last two years doesn't mortgage the future or prevent them from starting whoever they want next year.

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

He is playing golf as camp gets ready to open. I hope his golf game in the clutch is much better than his play in NFL crunch time. The way he is going, he will have plenty of time to improve his pitch and putt.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wait. What? Paying him backup money? I must have misread the current offer

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He'll be signed by next Sunday.

Ralebird likes this.
  9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Care to tell us who is going to give in.

10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

“I think Geno can be a good starter, but he’s got to prove it in training camp like everybody else,” Bowles told The News. “It’s not just about the quarterback position. You got to have a team around that position to play ball, but he’s been in the system a year. He has a better grasp of it going into training camp and we’ll see what he does.”

Bowles in NYDN

11. NYJFan10

$6 million per the last two years is backup money more or less. The three years $24 million offer with $12 in the first year and $12 the last two is pretty common knowledge.

12. NCJetsfan

He might be. We'll never know for certain unless he is given the opportunity.

You're wrong about the cap imo. Even if Fitz plays well, he takes $12 million (or more) this year and $12 million the next two seasons that they could use for other players. If he doesn't play well, that loss will be magnified. Conversely, if they withdraw the offer to Fitz and sign Foles to a one-year deal for $2-5 million and go with Geno, they can find out once and for all about Geno, and have money to use next year and the year after. I truly don't think the Jets' record would be any worse with Geno than it would with Fitz. Even if it is a game or two different, I don't think it would matter this season. Even if this team should somehow make the playoffs, they'll go nowhere with Fitz, and I don't think they'll even sniff the playoffs this season. Fitz is a jag.

edray10 likes this.
  13. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I remember when Fitz was the QB for Buffalo some odd years ago. Shit, I never had more pompous fucking confidence walking into the (Dolphins) bar to watch the game in my home 80 Chrebet jersey than when we'd play Buffalo those years. I'm too lazy to look up the records, but it seemed we fucking OWNED Buffalo when Fitz was their QB.

Those years shaped my view of Fitz no matter how bad the rest of those Buffalo teams were or how he played for other teams. I just thought he was this shitty (back-up)QB that Buffalo prematurely, and regrettably, gave a lot of money to.

Look at him now. Got the Jets some respect in 2015 and has us fans arguing this entire off-season about his return.

Never would I have thunk it :)

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Except you're missing something. What you're missing is the front office of the New York Jets, as well as the coaching staff wants Fitzpatrick to be the quarterback in 2016. Why do you think that is?

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Fitz's holdout has certainly empowered the GeNo fans.\

Bowles hasn't been swayed though.

16. NCJetsfan

We'll see.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Bowles isn't stupid

He has probably seen many a QB holdout in his day so that's why they are getting GeNo "ready" if Fitz prolongs this process

Privately I sure he is sh*tting bricks at the prospect of Smith after RF gave us a 10 win season and Geno sucked in Oakland

All the GenoBots will be off his bandwagon when the losing starts and taking up a collection for Fitz,,hope it doesn't come to that

18. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

It appears that they may not want him as much as you think do.
    If so the deal would be done already.

As quiet as the MO deal went done and got done, I don't know if I even believe the 12 mil number, or the 3 for 24 offer.
    I have not seen one quote from a JETS source stating that was the case, for we all know that was just leaked by Fitz's agent as
    a ploy to up the offer to somthing like that,

#4838 Section 336, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  19. NYJFan10

We already know the answer on Geno and what the front office thinks of him. If Maccagnan really believed in Geno he'd have told Fitz to take a hike and he wouldn't have drafted QB's in back to back years. The staff and players obviously want Fitz to be the QB this year.

And they're not cutting/deactivating/making one of the young QB's a fourth-stringer to bring in Nick Foles.

20. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

This is getting really frustrating and way too close to training camp. I get and respect the idea of not overpaying a guy, but wait until around week 6 when Geno is throwing INTs like crazy and Brandon Marshall is causing mutiny.

Fitz is not perfect but he can play in this system, keep the ball moving, not allow sacks and get the ball to two best playmakers that I have seen on this team in a really long time.

I've seen too much shitty qb play to deal with this crap. Give Fitz a more reasonable offer and move to hell on.