Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I'm slightly aroused...

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They say death is the ultimate aphrodisiac. unless its the first part of the story that has you teeming. then you might just be gay

joe and Bellows1 like this.
  3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

The Redskins/Cousins negotiations provide a marker for the Jets/Fitz discussions:

Reports are that the Redskins’ best offer to 27 yo Cousins (over 4,000 yards passing and a 69% completion rate in 15) was $16 million per year and $24 million in guarantees.

Jets were $12 mio in 16, with I believe $24 million guaranteed for three years as well.

Thats an indication the Jets bid for Fitz is very competitive.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I really hope we don't give him that deal. Three more years of nothing and no chance to get a franchise qb again.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Good things come in threes. Brady lost and Mo re-signed, so is it time for Fitz to re-sign too?

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think a lot has been going on behind the scenes here. I have a feeling this is a deal that's close to being done. Just a matter of time.

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

If it's anything like the Wilkerson negotiations, I wouldn't be surprised at all if progress is being made behind closed doors

8. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Yep, Mac has it all under control. I assume this lowers wilk's cap number, so perhaps a 1yr deal may be back on the table for fitz.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yes, this exactly! I bet we won't hear a peep until the day before training camp.

10. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I'm to the point where I'm ready to roll with Geno. And by posting that I kinda want to punch myself in the face

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's what IK did.

Sorta...

WWIKD

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Got to think that the changing of signing Fitz just got less. Macc isn't waiting around that's for sure.

13. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

It hasn't necessarily decreased - it may actually increase a lot. Mac offered a 3-year $12m, $6m, $6m deal. Fitz counter-offered saying he'd take a 1-year $12m deal and Mac refused.

Mac can now say "Okay, we have less flexibility now because of this big Wilkerson contract. We can offer you a 1-year deal like you want, but it will have to be $9m because we can't afford more." That'd be better for Fitz than what he'd get as a backup QB, and it gives him the chance to earn more in 2017. I would expect something like that to work out - unless Mac is utterly insisting on a 3 year deal and won't budge.

14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

A one year deal wouldnt be too bad.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Please explain how signing Fitzpatrick changes the team's chances of getting a franchise quarterback.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We won't look for another three years of course. Here's the better question, how many wins do you think we will have this year even if we do waste the money on re-signing him?

17. milo

milo Well-Known Member

My first thought after "Holy shit! Awesome!!" was just how far we have come as an organization.

Could you imagine Rex and Tanny/Idzik getting to break their own news on this? The public shit-show this would have become (with a worse contract in the end)?

I love you Mac. If they ever boot you I hope you end up running the CIA.

Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Haha! This happens in the offseason a lot. Fans forget how truly bad players/coaches are and are ready to give them another chance. Then you watch preseason games and by Week 1 you remember how bad some one like Geno is. Having said all of that, I am pretty sure Fitz will re-sign and the lead the Jets into the 2016 season.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Whoa...I thought our second rounder Hackenberg, Macs brainchild would lead the way to the future. Fitz, not Geno, helps to bridge the gap That's the plan my friend

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

Sorry for my language but fk Fitzpatrick. The only reason why he threw all those TD's is because we have an animal in Marshall along with Decker who can feast all over the field.

At least with Geno, as a 4th year kid actually have the potential to feature an explosive offense with Marshall, Decker & Forte. The potential is at least there. I hate the word 'potential' but Fitz can not take the top off a defense due to Pennington like arm limitations. His accuracy & completion percentage is awful for a veteran QB. His average yards per completion, completion%, INT's & QB Rating were (all) at the very bottom of the league.

I'm not sure if Geno can become our next Cam Newton with mobility & a strong arm but i know for sure Fitz can not become an elite pocket passing QB. I'd much rather roll out potential in a 4th year player in Geno before rolling out the red carpet for mediocre play out of Fitzpatrick.

(Rant over).

RexontheBeach and egelband like this.