Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is especially the Jets.

I think they've agreed on his 2016 salary, just not how to spread the cap hit out over years 2 and 3.

_

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Nope, that was a very safe throw. 100x safer then the throw to Decker. The pick-play was perfectly executed.

3. JStokes

Ouch.

_

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah but it all came crashing down with Chan Gailey as well. Which is the cause for concern.

Also, if Gailey can make a physically flawed but mentally sharp QB like Fitzpatrick successful, maybe he could do better with someone with a better physical repertoire. Idk. I'm just saying I won't be too upset personally if Fitzy is not retained.

FJF likes this.
  5. JStokes

Are you seeing the flaw there? :D

_

6. 101GangGreen101

HAHA, I have no issue admitting I am wrong, but this isn't one of them. Low blow. The difference here is I won't bash you or personally attack you.

I like to take the high road.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

There's no right or wrong on this one, seems it's all opinions.

Donttasemebro likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

And did I ever bash your opinion or say you aren't a knowledgeable fan? Did I call myself superior? I don't think I did once here.

9. BrowningNagle

that's true, Geno Smith is an idiot. But Gailey has had decent results with idiots as well. Its not like he needs a Rhodes Scholar to run his system. (which was morningwood's problem here- he ran a complicated system and got stuck with Geno Smith)

Kordell Stewart & Tyler Thigpen are 2 truly dumb QBs and they looked alright running Gailey's offense. I'd venture to say Geno Smith has more physical abilities than them as well.

LAJet likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

I don't even know if I can truly call Geno Smith stupid. I personally think he plays far too slow, maybe processes the information like that which leads to him reacting too slow. I guess you can consider that the same thing, but I don't know.

11. BrowningNagle

I worry most, in the short term anyway, not so much about Smith's smarts or his ability to process information but his ability to accept information/coaching. If he can't handle criticism internally or wont listen to what they are trying to get him to do, its a waste of time and they should try to bend a little to make it work with Fitz. I dont think that's the case though - but it could be. Either way the Jets organization would be the ones to know that, not a dude on a message board.

Long term, if he even has a future here, you worry about his ability to process information. But I think if they want to make a smart financial decision to let Fitzpatrick walk this season, you better be sure that Smith can at least listen to - "do this on that play Eugene" and they will be alright for now. Were talkin about losing a soon to be 34 year old Ryan Fitzpatrick anyway, not a stud in his prime. The worst case scenario aint all that bad

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick willed the Jets to 10 wins and the team let him down in week 17.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It's a team game. Fitz was for the most part a positive contributor last year. The offense was pretty good.

Fitz played poorly week 17 along with some other players, particularly the special teams unit that sucked dick all tear and dragged the team down.

14. 101GangGreen101

After all of the bullshit that has happened while he has been here, I would hope so. Hopefully Geno is humbled and ready to learn.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Why do people keep saying that Fitz sucked his last year in Buffalo? He put up league average numbers (17th in passer rating), Gailey got fired for pretty much everything but the QB play, and Marrone wanted his guy at QB. So Buffalo let Fitz go and drafted EJ in the first round.

16. BrowningNagle

I have to question if you actually watched that team play though or just looking at the box scores.
    Putting up average numbers when you are already down 20 points and never being able to get it done down the stretch of close games does not impress me and it didn't impress them. They didn't move on because Marrone wanted his guy, they moved on because they wanted a different QB all together because Fitzpatrick wasn't getting it done and they were paying him too much. It wasn't a regime change it was the same front office

just that season alone:

-they lost to our Jets in a game where Fitzy threw 2 picks on his first 2 drives of the game and then a pick on their first play out of the locker room to start the second half.

-they lost a home game to Tennessee by 1 point in the final minutes. A game they had no business losing but Fitzpatrick threw a pick with 3 minutes left and the lead.

-They lost a game in New England that they played well all day and Fitzy couldn't get it done, throwing a last second pick in the endzone down by 6.

-they lost a home game in the final minute to the shitty Rams where Fitzy went 3 and out the entire 4th quarter keeping the Rams in it.

they got tired of losing games like that. I dont blame them

#4396 BrowningNagle, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  17. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Ask a Bills fan how he played his last year there

I'm sure Sanchez put up average numbers his last season here but it wasn't anything close to good QB play

Why do we have to act like Fitz is something better than he is? His career tells the story of a below average journeyman QB best suited as a backup for a team trying to make noise in the postseason.

It's much more likely that he looked mostly good last year because of everything around him and the ridiculously easy schedule....His career can basically lead you to this conclusion unless you think it's possible that a QB can reach his peak at 33 years old

This is why many of us are not concerned with the next man up. It's likely not as big a downgrade as you think even in a worst case scenario situation

FJF likes this.
  18. JStokes

No--his last year 2012 he was terrible. A better argument could be made for 2011--his stats were actually not that bad but he really didn't play very well. 2011 was the beginning of the end. 2012 I don't think anyone would argue he was average.

_

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Nah, Sanchez was terrible in 2012, 31st in passer rating. The Buffalo fans might say Fitz sucked but their definition of sucked isn't the same as ours as they haven't had to put up with three straight years of real suckitude like we did.

20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Yeah 2011 works for what I said...I didn't even realize how bad he was that last season,my bad

Regardless, just going by numbers for QB play doesn't tell the story.