Brexit!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Sundayjack, Jun 23, 2016.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Camembert gets better and better the riper and stankier it becomes. Leave that stuff out for days.

_

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That's a win for Muslims; they can all just come here now.

3. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Perhaps if Americans actually cared about working hard instead of bitching and complaining there would be no jobs for immigrants...

But keep up the Muslim hate. It will get you places. We got major issues in this country and a lot of folks are distracted by this.

#63 deathstar, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Barry the Baptist and highflyer like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This was a major blow struck against globalization. It was probably the first major defeat of the concept in the first world. It'll be interesting to see how it plays at this point but the two things I think very likely to happen in the wake of this are the departures of many multi-nationals from London for other homes in the EU and the departure of Scotland from the UK. The Scots will sell this vote as remaining in the EU not leaving the UK and they'll win it 60-40 this time around instead of losing 55-45.

5. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Scotland has the oil, gas and fishing...They will be fine.

What exactly does England produce? Financial trading/activity can be done from anywhere.

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Alright, I'ma need you to reaffirm your American chops, Günther or Pierre or Tibor - whatever your REAL name is. Requires ordering deep fried meatloaf bites at a Sonic and washing them down with an Oreo-Snickerberry shake. Get to it.

7. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

Well I'm not convinced that is a good decision at all for the UK but whatever, personally I had a laugh as my friend is leaving for there tomorrow and bought $5000 in GBP yesterday before it all went down. Very, very silly. Hope our dollar against the USD doesn't tank before October when I head over to the States.

8. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

crumpets. massive massive amounts of crumpets. Crumpets biotches!!

#68 GordonGecko, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    deathstar and Sundayjack like this.
  9. Br4d

Wales has coal mines, the midlands have agriculture, the rest of the south is overly dependent on the service economy including financial services at the high end, which is how things generally are in first world countries that bought into globalization.

Another way to look at this is that England now joins most of the Commonwealth as not being in the EU. Canada survives just fine without EU membership, ditto for Australia and New Zealand. What England should be looking to do is to get back at the head of the table in the Commonwealth so they have a collective position to bargain from in trade agreements. That's what's going to ultimately salvage the situation for them.

Either that or the elites will figure out how to effectively nullify the vote given that it is not legally binding.

Article 50 becomes the next big thing to watch. Everybody is going to be tugging on it but few will want to invoke it, either inside or outside England. At least not initially.

10. mute

mute Well-Known Member

please explain. I always want to understand this thing.

11. Sundayjack

This is all nonsense. Same brand of nonsense heard from the angriest of the Remainers in the lead up to the election. None of these folks could reconcile, though, how Switzerland has such an enviable economy sitting right smack in the middle of the Eurozone.

At least you didn't bring this thread back to the Battle of Hastings, though.

12. Br4d

Can you think of reasons that Switzerland might be in a fairly unique position in Europe?

Can you think of methods of diplomacy that might have developed over centuries in Switzerland that made them uniquely capable of prospering with the European Union all around them?

Probably not, at least for public consumption. You were trying to make a point not actually arguing with the facts. :)

BTW, I don't think Leave was necessarily bad for England. I think it was bad for globalization.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

My coworker has to go back to Bulgaria shits nuts

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

14. Br4d

He's not going to have to leave for years and the odds are pretty good that he'll have some kind of vested guest worker rights by then anyway.

Until Article 50 is invoked nothing changes in the UK at all. After that the negotiations will begin and they are optimistically set up to occur over a 2 year time frame. It's more likely to be 4 or 5.

TLDR on Article 50 is that it is the framework under which a state declares its intentions to leave the EU. The English will want to complete trade negotiations before they invoke it because they'll hope to get better results by dangling it's invocation over the negotiations than by sitting across from suddenly hostile negotiators intent on making England pay a price for leaving as an example to other states that might want to float a referendum also.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. Sundayjack

Switzerland is the reason Denmark and Sweden have been lining up next. The lesson here is: political union is unnecessary and, to many, objectionable. And the so-called "common market" might just be outdated because of technology. The Swiss are only unique because they were decades ahead of the curve. People now get that, and it was the arrogant immigration policy that proved the last straw.

Nothing tastes as sweet as Euro-tears.

xxedge72x likes this.
  16. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Dow down 400 points.

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I used to go to the Blarney Stone on 3rd Ave (now closed), I'd meet my brother there later in the afternoon after the construction lunch crew cleared out and if you hit it just right and ordered the meatloaf, they'd give you like five (instead of the usual 3) 2-inch thick slices covered with thick brown delicious gravy and big glob of mashed we'd sit there and eat for an hour and a half and drink beer. Better than my Mom's meatloaf.

_

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Ah so this could affect things in the long-term, thanks for the clarification on this. The future generation is getting screwed big time.

19. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

basically you would have wanted to be ready to go short on the British Pound versus the Euro or US Dollar in case the voting results started showing a likely exit vote. When you trade currency pairs you can get massive amounts of leverage like 100:1 to 400:1. So if you have 10K to play with, you can margin that up to 1 to 4 Million dollars. So if you go short GBP/USD on a million bucks, when the pound drops 10% (which is a COLOSSAL move in currency markets) you've picked up 10 times your capital and made 100K on just 10K invested

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So, you're telling me all that bible prophecy jazz about the common market being the reunification of the Roman Empire foretelling christ's reemergence wasn't accurate?