What if Fitz doesn't come back?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, May 31, 2016.

?

what if Fitz doesn't come back?

1. Geno is going to impress the $h*t of some people

23 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Geno and a 2nd for Bradford with a $13M due this year and $7 next w/no dead money

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. We move on and play 2016 with whomever wins the job in TC

67 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

aaron rodgers says hi

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Hall of Fame starter ahead of him says hi.

Just like Mark Sanchez.

_

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Imagine if Sancho sat behind Favre for a couple seasons.

I'm going to go take a maalox.

4. RevisIsland18

regardless he was picked in the first round and sat for 3 years before becoming the starter...to paraphrase the other guy, you don't pick someone that high if you don't start him....

5. JStokes

Every situation is different. If they thought they saw something in Rodgers--that he had future HOF potential, you take him and sit him for however long Favre wanted to play.

If you're the Jets, and you see potential in a guy to become the franchise but he is CLEARLY not ready to play anytime soon--you take the gamble and put him on ice. And find a bridge guy that can make you competitive whilst you wait for your pick to develop. Could be two years easy.

_

6. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Hack is not 2 years away. The most difficult part of the transition from the college game to the NFL for a QB is dealing with all the additional duties you have as an NFL QB. In particular, the pre-snap activities, such as reading the defensive set, audibling a play if your called play won't work, calling out the protections, and moving people around to get the look and match-ups you want on the play. These are activities that Hack has already learned to do in his college offense. Hack has mechanical issues to correct and he'll have to learn the offense and work on reading defenses. I don't know if he'll start or not this year, but I think if they have confidence in him he'll definitely be starting next year and he may be starting by middle of this year if they think he's ready (especially if either Fitz/Geno is playing badly, gets injured or the playoffs don't look promising).

I think they're expecting Fitz to start this year, which is why they're offering fitz $12 million this year and $6 million each of the next 2 years. They expect Fitz to start this year and backup next year and the year after. Only the first $12 million is guaranteed for Fitz for the same reason.

No way are they expecting Hack to sit for 2 years. A large part of what made him worth a 2nd round pick to the jets was that he was coming from a pro offense and he'd learned to do what a pro-QB needs to do, so he wouldn't have to sit for a long time.

7. JStokes

Have you watched Hack throw in college?

All the things he "learned in college" will not help him fix his accuracy issues. It's going to take 10,000 reps in OTAs and training camps and practices during the years to fix them.

That could easily take 2 years.

He was drafted because he was big, a prototypical NFL QB and because of his potential. Not because he is close to being NFL ready.

If that's what they were looking for they would have drafted Connor Cook.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. edray10

His accuracy issues are mostly mechanical in nature and he may already have fixed many of his mechanical issues (remember that his father was a coach and he had good mechanics his first year - it was only when that idiot took over at Penn State that insisted he start doing things that didn't feel right that he started having mechanical issues). If your mechanics were at one time correct, it should be much easier to re-correct them that if they were never correct.

He looked terrible at the combine, but really good at his pro-day a couple of months later, which suggests that his mechanics may already be somewhat fixed. Overthrowing short touch passes is also very common with young QBs with very strong arms (e.g., Favre, Elway) and they learn touch by playing. In any event, it shouldn't take 2 years to fix mechanical issues (if they're fixable).

I believe that they're expecting to start him next year or maybe sooner, such as middle of this year. The Fitz offer tells you that they expect Fitz to be backing up next year (that's why they cutting his comp from $12 million in year 1 to $6 million in years 2 and 3). If he's not backing up for Hack, then who would he be backing up for?

9. JStokes

Lol did you see him his freshman year?

He is not a naturally accurate passer. Don't give a shit who his father is (yes, I know all about him). Franklin did not make him inaccurate.

I think you're hoping more than anything else. It may NOT be mechanical. It may just be he is inaccurate and we'll have to live with it.

_

10. RevisIsland18

which is absolutely fine with me - i was just annoyed at the other user's post about not picking someone in 2nd round if we aren't going to play them right away

11. edray10

If his accuracy issues are not mechanical and can't be fixed, then he's not an NFL QB and he won't be 2 years from now either. At his pro-day though he looked very accurate and impressive, while he couldn't hit the side of a barn during the combine. I understand he was working closely with a coach during that period and he's been working hard on his mechanics and hopefully he's fixed them or will be able to fix them shortly.

I think Franklin's changes to his mechanics and his complete disaster of an offensive line did make him less accurate.

You're right, that as a Jets fan, I'm hoping that he has the goods and turns into a franchise QB. I have a high level of confidence in this Jets front office and I think that they believe there's a reasonable possibility that he could become a franchise QB, otherwise they wouldn't have drafted him where they did. Hopefully, they're right.

12. JStokes

If he can become more accurate he could lead the franchise for 15 years.

I'm just concerned because I'm not sure it's mechanical. Didn't want him (in any round lol) but I got on board because the FO obviously liked him. I am truly rooting for the kid because I like his makeup.

_

NYJetsO12 and Jets_Grinch like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Not in this case - robots at least have artificial intelligence.

Jets69 and JetBlue like this.
  14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

But Franklin DID make Hack inaccurate. With that stupid [right foot behind] insistence for instance - even at the protest of Hack himself, most likely.

P.S. His father being a coach in academic environment means nothing, I agree. Chad Pennington says hi. [He was not known for crisp throwing mechanics, last time I checked.]

15. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

no never

16. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

I would never make that trade.

17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I sometimes wonder about the people who expected Geno to prosper with Rex Ryan and his circus staff, that toilet paper o-line and Salas and Nelson as his 1-2 punch at WR. Not to mention Geno was an air raid QB running a vertical spread college system then came into Rex's west coast ground n pound bull shit whatever it was we didnt even have a damn scheme nor system.

Geno gets my vote to shock some folk..

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

its great he looked accurate at his pro day/ its too bad he didnt look accurate in all his time in highschool college, the combine, and ota's.

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Where's the dislike button?

20. JStokes

Preposterous.

_