OTAs thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 101GangGreen101, May 25, 2016.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Poor fans. I bet they are predicting 12-4 now. Breakout years for EVERYONE

*insert Oprah meme here*

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Good post. To me, the Geno sucks crowd are every bit as annoying. Those are the guys who were booing any mention of Geno at the town hall meeting the other night. They dismiss even the possibility that Geno could have matured and be a useful player for us. As long as he's on the roster, I will root for Geno to succeed because I want the team to succeed. Let the FO and CS determine if he's good enough because in the end, none of us are experts. The Geno sucks crowd just drag the team down and create more pressure and a losing mentality IMO.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/just-a-mention-of-geno-smith-reportedly-draws-boos-from-jets-fans/

3. 101GangGreen101

Interesting news on how Bowles runs his OTAs:

http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/05/why-do-the-jets-use-two-fields-at-otas/

They have 2 fields so everyone gets a large number of reps. That's why you don't see much news on Hackenberg.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He did this last year as well, and I'm shocked that we're one of the few NFL teams that do it. I'd assume they film both sessions too. How can you properly evaluate an UDFA with one or two reps or develop practice squad players.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

I didn't know he did this last year. Very smart move and maximizes all of the reps in OTAs.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So it's some kind of pride thing? You feel insulted by a guy looking to maximize his earning power? Has Fitzpatrick really disrespected you enough to be willing to possibly sacrifice a few games from the "WON" column?

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's not a pride thing. He can try to "maximize his earning power" all he wants. But the fact is that zero teams in the NFL appear to consider him worthy of the money he is asking.

Pretty simple, even for you.

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He said last year he got the idea from Bruce Ariens

9. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

I think you're misinterpreting me. The FO offered Fitz what in their judgement (and mine) is a fair value contract. It's a business decision. How does disrespect factor in? How does insulted factor in? Really?

I don't want to reopen the debate but even you seem to admit that it's merely a possibility that Fitz = more wins. I think most fans agree with you there so the the real question is how much $ is the possibility worth.

Again, no insults, no disrespect, just a cold hard business decision.

10. Ralebird

Perhaps the Jets need him more than the other 31 teams. That's simple enough, you could have thought it out yourself. I'm going to play the guy who gives the best chance to win, even if he hurt somebody's feelings in May or June.

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I guess it is lost on some folks that the other 31 teams have starting QBs or QBs they expect to be their franchise QB and do not NEED a starting QB.

We are the only team in the league without a starting QB.

He may be average, below average, mediocre--whatever you prefer--but the JETS view him as their starting QB so they are not basing their offer to him on what other offers MAY be out there--because their aren't any.

It's a weird dynamic. If the Jets were truly offering to pay "market price" as if they were buying a car or a commodity, they'd be offering the league minimum--no reason to pay a penny more.

Except he's not a backup or a third stringer on the Jets--he's the starter.

He's going to get starter money--not top end--but not $6.5M--some amount south of what he was originally seeking--it's just a matter of figuring out how to manage the cap hits in years 2 and 3.

_

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. Ralebird

I'm not saying you're one of them but a handful of guys here seem to be butt hurt about a guy looking to make his best deal while that is doing no realistic harm to the team at this time.

I consider it a probability that Fitzpatrick is the better guy. I base this on what the coaching staff has said recently as well as past performance. I base it on the fact that negotiations are ongoing and neither side has mentioned any hard or soft deadline of anything other than the beginning of training camp.

If the team is forced to play the season with Smith in the driver's seat, today's "Fuck Fitz" contingent is sure to be the one's still blaming him in December if the season goes downhill. Be careful what you wish for...

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

"Starting QB" means someone who starts, right? I'm sure Bowles will name one.
    Jets also have someone they "expect to be their franchise QB ", 2 of them actually. So it looks like Jets do not need a starting QB either, e.g. don't need Fitz, by your own definition.

Wanna example?
    Denver: Lynch
    Jets: Hack & Petty
    "expect to be their franchise QB"

Denver: Sanchez
    Jets: Smith
    "Have starting QB"

You're right, it is a weird dynamic, Fitz was offered a good deal, especially since this is the only deal anyone offered him. He wants more -- no problem, but there is absolutely no reason for Jets to budge. Zero.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. JStokes

I guess you missed the entire concept behind my post.

Well done.

_

Ralebird likes this.
  15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

**scratching my head***
    guess I did :)

16. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

This is the OTA thread, not one of the threads about Fitz that have the same arguments rehashed over and over again. Please don't also ruin this thread with more debates about Fitz. He is not at OTAs.

nycarl, RexontheBeach, Jets69 and 4 others like this.
  17. JStokes

Last time. If the Jets did not value Fitz as the presumptive starter the day he sets foot back in the building, they would not be offering him a penny over the league minimum since 'he has no other offers'.

That they are still offering him what amounts to $12m for year 1 with the sticking point being how to structure years 2 and 3 to give the Jets max flexibility with numbers that Fitz is ultimately going to have to live with should provide some insight as to how the Jets view him.

He's not asking for $16M a year and the Jets are not going to "cave" by giving him that.

They are going to pay him an amount they believe is worthy of a bridge starting QB for a LOT more than a lot of folks here want to hear because that's what they believe is his "worth" vis a vis the alternative.

It's the flexibility in years 2 and 3 that are the sticking points and they should get worked out by training camp.

If not, whole nother discussion.

_

18. Ralebird

Fair enough.

themorey likes this.
  19. JStokes

Sorry. It morphed from OTAs to who or why someone wasn't there. No need today so it's understandable.

_

themorey likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

My take: Fitz is doing no harm right now. If he won't sign by TC we have to move on. But now is not that time.