Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The psychology revolves around a paradigm in which star players have always been able to force management's hand. The Jets need to get a handle on that even if it means letting a few good players go to over-priced contracts elsewhere.

Look at the NFL and tell me who is paying DL and CB's like QB's and winning in the process. It just isn't happening. You can either have a star QB and try to support him or you can have 53 guys trying to win with nothing else above that. Having a franchise CB is like giving up before you start and BTW every other decent player on the roster is looking at that "leader" and thinking "I'm going to get mine too when the chance happens."

Why do the Packers over-achieve and the Fins always suck?

Look at the cars in the players parking lot. That will tell you why.

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who feels like the offer on the table is a little too much? Seems like we could have started off with an offer about 25% lower than what's out there, and we still wouldn't have any competition for Fitzy's services. Geno is terrible, but very cheap. It just doesn't seem right to pay that much to a guy in Fitz who's ceiling is very slightly better than average.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Last season I believe you referred to it as "magical thinking."

4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

lol

5. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

If Fitz ever made it to a Super Bowl, he'd be similar to Warner in that they were both QBs who at age 25, there was no reason to think they'd be playing in Super Bowls. That was my point; though you're right that Fitz never really lit it up and Warner did. With Warner it was a "return to greatness" but for Fitz it'd be "ascending to greatness."

Mac is probably thinking that Fitz will start in 2016, miss the playoffs, and then in 2017 it'll be Hack starting. $6m for 2017 will be a nice amount for a backup/mentor QB. But Fitz is thinking "$6m is a horrible amount for a starting QB!" Fitz thinks he'll still be a starter 2 and 3 years from now - Mac doesn't. And so they're at this impasse over it. My thinking is that they should structure the 2nd and 3rd years so that if he's lighting it up he'll get paid well, but if he's riding the bench he'll get good backup QB money. That'd be a good compromise.

As for Ferguson, a left tackle who makes pro bowls and never gets hurt is going to get paid a lot. He'll be in the "ring of honor" and will be at least somewhat considered for the Hall of Fame. (I think Mangold is more likely to make it to the Hall of Fame; 7 Pro Bowls and almost as durable.)

Harris is pretty much always the Jets' #1 tackler, and when Rex was fired it seemed likely that we'd lose him to the Bills. The Jets didn't develop anyone to take his place, so the choices were to overpay him, overpay somebody and hope he's as good, or start an incompetent replacement and accept a drop off at the position. It was the least bad of 3 bad options.

The Jets' real problem has been with the draft. Too many years went by where the Jets only added maybe 1 starter, and over time the team got filled up with old, declining vets and young, mostly incompetent backups. In that situation you cling to anybody who's even decent, and your stars get overpaid a bit. Or you overpay other teams' mediocre players, but it's usually better to keep your own. If you refuse to play that game - the Idzik philosophy - then you end up starting incompetent young players and it's a disaster.

Whereas when you're drafting well on a consistent basis, you're adding 2 - 3 starters every year, and some of the backups from 1 - 2 drafts ago are maturing into viable starters. You can let your mediocre starters walk and let one of the "holding it together with duct tape" teams overpay them.

NYJetsO12 and RexontheBeach like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Brian Costello had a good article in NY post online saying we should give RF a one year deal with 12 mil fully guaranteed

If he plays well again, say we make the POs then in2017 he will garner more interest from other teams

Depending where Petty and Hack are in development we decide if we offer him another year and so on

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah...I lumped in his college years by mistake.

But to say "only had about 5 concussions" is kinda minimizing how bad concussions can be.

I don't know how "strong" his later years were, but his last year at Arizona was pretty good...almost as good as Fitz's last year!

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

12M is a big hit for us considering our cap situation.

9. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

Brick ?? HOF?????
    You are nuts....

10. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Is the rumor that Fitzpatrick would take less from another team "on principle" just a Meta bullshit story? If Fitzpatrick actually said that, fuck him in the goat ass.

Seriously. What principle? The Jets owe him something? Owe him what? He was 10-6 and no playoffs. This is not Joe Namath getting spurned at the end of his career here. He had one pretty good year. And now the jets are offering him 4 times what he was being paid last year.

I'm starting to think Fitzy is actually pretty much a douche. Who in their right mind would think that he is owed more than market value by the Jets. He pulled this shit with the Bills and got them to ridiculously over pay him. Mac is not that stupid.

Newsflash. No one else wants you. 31 other teams don't want you to be their QB. Take the fucking deal.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

No, I am at the point now where we move on... play Geno if he sucks stick Petty in and take your lumps....

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Love me some Kurt.

My post was in response to someone that posted that Kurt had a great early career an injury riddled middle and a great twilight.

Over the course of an 11yr NFL career o think 5 concussions is reasonable.

13. HomeoftheJets

It's Manish. Nuff said.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

not only is this spot on, but "fuck him in the goat ass" is not nearly used enough in society.
    well done

15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

1 yr deal is fine. Hopefully Hackenberg is ready for 2017.

17. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Yeah thats gotta be the thinking if the Jets do the 1 year deal. Im thinking they will. Makes too much sense not to. Go all in for this year , then build around Hackenberg with potentially a lot of roster turnover coming in 2017.

18. HomeoftheJets

The 12 million dollar question is how Macc would plan to pay for this. Unless he has a miracle on the Mo front, we're looking at a ton of restructures. Even if we cut Breno, the restructures will still be significant. Of course, Macc hasn't agreed yet as far as I know, so we'll have to wait and see. It's encouraging though that Fitz wants to get something done.

19. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Let's get it done. How much of the $12 mill will count against the cap and how much will be a bonus?

NM. Got my answer:

It it’s a straight one-year deal, the 2016 salary cap hit would be $12 million. As of Wednesday, the Jets were just $3.1 million under the cap. They would have to clear $8.9 million.

20. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Can they do the three year deal with a player option after year one? Similar to Clady...