Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Gotcha.
    Haha, no sir! Okay, so the reason for the delay in a deal is making more and more sense now.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

+12

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Cutting Breno saves 5M. Cutting Geno, Winters, or Folk saves 1.5M each. Restructuring Skrine or Decker saves about 5M each. None of these sound fun, but there are ways to get money other than cutting Mo.

Having said that, I do not want a double digit cap hit for Fitz this year.

4. jetlag1969

jetlag1969 New Member

New poster. Trying to figure out these threads (no way I can go back and read this whole thing, so sorry if this was posted already).

If common thought is that, based on schedule, we are a 6-7 win team without Fitz, and if Fitz plays as well as last year maybe we are a 8-9 win team...is he really worth all of this aggravation?

We are in cap hell. Doesn't look like we will sign Wilk to a long term deal soon to free up cash. To restructure contracts and make room is a negative for future years of a rebuilding team. And Marshall and Decker don't appear to be taking a pay cut.

Mac f*$&ed us with cap space this year and we simply can't afford to pay Fitz current qb market value - so play one of the 3 young guys you have and see if they can mature.

Sucks for Fitz but his market is based in who will pay - and he will get the most money and play from the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egelband likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Cutting Breno doesn't make sense unless the Jets know that they have a solid RT to replace him, or at least replacement level. Wayne Hunter was a thing for a season and he destroyed us. Cutting Winters is more doable but still nobody clearly going to replace him. Cutting Folk is doable. Restructuring is a terrible way to get cap space. You're robbing next year to pay for this year and you wind up with a flat cap over time where past decisions are making future decisions for you.

$8M a year for Fitzpatrick is being generous. If he declines, well he isn't going to get that from anybody else. That's his loss.

6. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think it has a lot to do with the fact they dont want him beyond next season as well. Hence the low numbers. Im sure the contract numbers tell you all you need to know about what management feels about fitzpatrick.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

7. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

No I didn't understand what a lobotomy was, thanks for pointing it out everyone is massively impressed

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

None of the first 3 moves you suggest are plausible or make any sense. Even if they sign Fitz, if they cut Geno and Fitz goes down with an injury, they have no experienced QB to play. If they cut Winters, that means they have a completely unproven/untested player at RG who may be worse than Winters. If they cut Folk, that means they hand the job to a rookie. As good and accurate as the former Duke kicker is, if memory serves me correctly, he doesn't have a big leg. If so, they'd have no touchbacks and wouldn't be taking any FGs over 47-48 yards.

The only plausible ways to get a chunk of cap space would be to restructure Skrine and Decker. That would have a negative effect in future years, especially if either or both suffered a career-ending injury this season.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with most of your post except that Mac effed us with cap space. He has found good ways to get the needed cap space so far, and his moves have addressed needs and improved the team in other areas. Fitz isn't worth over $8 million per season.

10. HomeoftheJets

How about this possible solution? Same offer except that Fitz can opt out after the first year. To do so, he would have to return 4M of the signing bonus, so the Jets wouldn't be saddled with any dead money. But he would have another chance to test the market.

11. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah that makes a lot of sense. Let's throw in one of the QB's who are not ready.

12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Mac bringin Fitz back make the most sense

13. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I'm ready to ride with Geno.

I think Mr Smith can give us adequate production in the Chan gailey system as long as he stays on script and cuts out (or down) the boneheaded plays that we saw in the Oakland game. I'd feel more comfortable with Fitz under centre ofc but not at the price he wants and the effect that has on our cap and roster going forward.

tiger8mush and KingRoach like this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Stokes.

15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

That makes noooo sense at all. Why would everyone be impressed that you didn't know what a lobotomy was??!!?

16. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

He would break his own hand then go cry about it. Plus he would post pictures of his x-rays on here. Lol

17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

What? Fitz would have to be as stupid as @GordonGecko to opt out of that contract. Yeah, no one wants me this year but now that I'm older, I can get x+ 4 mil.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

19. HomeoftheJets

I doubt Fitz would actually be in position to opt out, but this way he can't say that the Jets are locking him into a below market salary in 2017/2018.

20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I honestly have no clue what's going to happen here

My gut tells me Fitz eventually signs on the Jets terms but who really knows what he's thinking