Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Don't know about you, but I think I would put Brett Favre a little but higher than Fitz.

Oh, and don't give me that Favre was just one year because that is all Fitz may end up being.

FJF likes this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It's incredible how many people spout the mentoring nonsense. Who mentored Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Roethlesberger, Cam Newton, Troy Aikmen? Even Favre didn't mentor Aaron Rogers. Did average QB Jon Kitna really mentor Carson Palmer into a Pro Bowl QB? Where's the long history of examples of elite QB's being groomed for success by average QB's ahead of them?

Freddy Mondo, egelband, FJF and 2 others like this.
  3. JetBlue

That says less about Fitz and more about the quality of QB the Jets have had.

4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

That's exactly how I feel...if he were still under contract on the cheap I would probably have him start unless Geno or Petty was absolutely tearing it up all preseason

Since he's going to cost atleast 8 mil a year that's valuable money that can be used for Mo or another top quality free agent

That changes everything when you put it all together

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

On mentoring, I think Brett Favre said it best when asked if he was mentoring Rodgers (and I'm paraphrasing): "It's not up to me to prepare Rodgers, it's up to him. I'm here to answer any questions he has, but he has to put in the work to prepare himself."

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While there's definitely some truth to what Favre said, imo it just shows what a selfish, self-centered jerk he was/is. I'll bet that other veteran QBs don't wait for the rookies and backups to come to them with questions. That doesn't preclude those young QBs putting in work themselves to prepare. I would have never thought of Favre as a "mentoring" type. He was always about himself rather than the team.

7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Can't disagree although all of his teammates loved him from what I've ever heard so whatever it was it worked for him

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with this, but disagree with your saying you will doubt Mac if he signs Fitz. Mac has a lot of pressure on him. We don't know what mandate Woody has given Mac. We know how impatient the fans and media are. If he doesn't sign Fitz, goes with Geno, Petty and Hack and Geno fails badly, and Petty/Hack aren't ready to play, Mac would get raked over the coals for not having insurance, and at least trying to put the team in a better position to win, even though he didn't realistically have a lot of options. It's easy for us fans to say what we would do, but if we were in Mac's seat with the responsibilities and pressures and constant scrutiny we might do the very same things or worse. It's not just his job he has to worry about, either. If things don't go well, he could wind up costing Bowles and the CS their jobs too.

9. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

If the the 12 million is true for this year and he refuses to sign , then it is time to move on. I think Watson will be a good QB for us next year.

Too bad this is how our draft next year will play out:
    http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2017.php

Defense again in the first round

10. JetBlue

Starting QB's likely don't have time in their preparation to volunteer extra time to their back ups to impart wisdom -- they are busy preparing themselves for the games they are scheduled to play.

So, I disagree. Starting QB's are likely not just giving out answers and its up to the backups to ask questions for their own development.

11. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I thought that was the coaches job?

12. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

A big part of the mentoring doesn't require much from the mentor. He just has to go about his business so the mentee can see what it takes to be a pro. How to prepare for practice, how to lead a huddle, how to watch film, how to interact with his teammates, etc.

For a guy with very limited physical abilities Fitz sure has been around a long time. A big part of him being around has also seen several teams worth of offense and preparation. Plus our guys Marshall, Decker, Mangold, etc seem to really like him. Some of his mentoring has probably rubbed off on Geno as several teammates have said he is more engaging with other players and is being more of a leader.

I think that's the value Fitz brings to the team but I don't think its worth $12M/year for a team that would have to restructure several contracts and/or cut a few players to get that money.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Let's say the Jets do not sign Fitz.

Whose turn is it to punch Geno Smith in the jaw before the season starts?

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We can always sign Cromartie to a 1 day contract.

James Hasty likes this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, someone we won't miss too much. This could become a regular position on the team - designated Geno sucker puncher. Jets could start drafting from the MMA soon.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The current offer is 8M per year. I would give Fitz an extra carrot (e.g. easier incentives) but not really anything more than that.

17. HomeoftheJets

Cro's a lover not a fighter.

Faux machine and James Hasty like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If Fitzpatrick is so upset about the 2017 and 2018 salary offers by the Jets, he should just sign a 1 year $12 million deal. Him holding out for more is a sign that he does not believe he can duplicate what he did in 2015. If you are confident, you would do a 1 year deal, with the hope of eclipsing what you did in 2015, thus making even more money in 2017. I understand players wanting security, but his play/age does not warrant a 3 year, $36 million deal or anything close.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

The Jets may be the reason a 1Y/12M hasn't been done. The cap hit would be 12M instead of 8M plus the Jets wouldn't be able to lock in Fitz on the cheap if he plays well.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets don't have the cap space to do a 1 yr $12M deal unless they cut Mo Wilkerson.

Anybody up for that?

The Dark Knight likes this.