Poll: Which QB Would You Have Drafted?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, May 3, 2016.

?

Which QB?

1. Mortgaged the future for Goff

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. Mortgaged the future for Wentz

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Lynch in Round 1

20 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Hackenberg in Round 2

46 vote(s)
    38.0%
  5. A different QB in Round 3 or later (explain who)

30 vote(s)
    24.8%
  6. I would not have drafted a QB

19 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you were the Jets GM, what would you have done with the QB position during the draft? I'm curious what you guys think now that Macc made his choice.

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I would have drafted Cook in the 3rd but I already regret that. I love the Hack pick.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cook in the 3rd or Jones in the 4th.

However, I think in all honesty, after watching what Hackenberg could do, I would've avoided any chance of the Patriots getting Hackenberg - dude knows the Patriots offense and they could've been the heir apparent. I liked what Mac did here. I wouldn't have changed his draft 1 bit.

4. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

Probably would have gone Cardale in one of the later rounds. Would have liked Hack at lower than where we got him, but it sounds like teams like Dallas were thirsty to get a QB so maybe we did the right thing getting Hack where we got him

westiedog1 and LIJetsFan like this.
  5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I would've drafted Hack in round 2 because I have the innate ability to retroactively think like the Jets GM.

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Hackenberg is the only QB in the Draft that I liked.

Jeti, Walt White and matt robinson 17 like this.
  7. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Great idea for a thread. Unfortunately I know nothing about college ball. I'd have to say that after reading all the hack articles I think it's possible he just didn't get the opportunity to build a good college resume and needs a fresh start. Would have liked to snag him in the third maybe but ,yeah, the threat of the pats snagging him was there .

LIJetsFan likes this.
  8. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

As I said before the draft, I wanted Hackenberg in 2 or 3 if we didn't go Lynch. This is a fantastic pick.

Walt White likes this.
  9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I feel like they did the right thing here. #20 overall was too early to draft Lynch, it would have been a reach and waste of 1st rounder, since they won't be starting in year one, regardless. Drafting Hackenberg or Lynch (if available) in round 2 was better value. I feel you can never really draft too many QBs when you are looking for a franchise one and Hackenberg actually played in this type of system before.

10. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the Hackenberg pick at all. Good value in the second round.

matt robinson 17 and LIJetsFan like this.
  11. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Hackenberg was my best QB on the board in round 2. Lynch, IMHO, wasn't worth a first. And ANYONE who in the past has argued that you don't take a guy in the first who isn't an instant starter in NFL AND says the jets should have taken Lynch is a hypocrite.

That said, I would have tried to trade down a few slots in the 2nd if at all possible and if Hack had gone before the next pick I would have gone Cardale in the 4th. My philosophy is that 66% or so of first round QB's are going to bust, 75% of 2nd round QB's are going to bust, and between 85 and 95% of Qb's taken after round round 2 are going to bust. So if after the 2nd you're going to roll the dice, go for the home run...at least that way when you hit you hit big...assuming of course you have them roughly graded the same round in terms of flaws and strengths (though their flaws and strengths will be different, for example I personally had Cook and Jones graded for the 4th round in terms of the Jets draft, but I graded them there for different reasons).

It is my honest opinion that in round 3 the Browns probably take Hackenberg at #65 or #76 or the Texans jump us in round 3, I think O'Brien knows Ost isn't a sure thing at QB and I think he liked Hackenberg well enough that he would have traded a 5th to jump us in the 3rd for him. Plus there's the, Cowboys who may have taken him at #67, or potentially the Patriots at #78, Remember they did take a QB in round 3, I think there's a good chance they take him at #78 and then a guard at #91 instead of a guard at #78 and Qb at #91 (just flipped the order).

In other words I don't think Hackenberg gets to the Jets in round 3 and I think Hackenberg was the only QB on the board I had graded for the 2nd or 3rd round (tweener).

Just my opinion and conjecture of course. But a lot of fan sites and draft sites were predicting Cleveland, Houston, and Dallas as possible landing spots for Hackenberg in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

In the end, even though I would have been tempted to risk it, I think the right choice was made here.

Walt White, Will and LIJetsFan like this.
  12. Freddy Mondo

Freddy Mondo Active Member

Ruddock as an UDFA, since my brother-in-law is a Wolverines fan and will be introducing me to the college game next season.

I voted for no QB since there were so many positions of need. Saying that, I love the CHack pick. I can see both the concerns and the optimism.

I enjoyed watching the Filmroom clip - playing chess with the Temple D. Not something you'd see Geno doing. He came across well at Gruden Camp. I hope the Jets' staff can make something of him. It'll be interesting to watch how his career develops.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I'll take the Hack pick

14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Conor Cook. Straight like that. Pro-Ready, has the perfect attitude for NY, Nice resume at MSU (minus the captain thing) high ceiling.

Low risk high reward pick in the 4th like petty.

15. 1968jetsfan

Kind of a followup thought on this. I've been chewing this over in my mind for awhile now and It's rather straight forward.
    We'll never know where Hackenberg would have been drafted had he not been taken by the Jets in the 2nd, I personally feel he would have gone to one of 4 teams in the 3rd. That's conjecture but I can build a really solid case for it through fan sites, draft boards, mocks, etc which by and large had him going in the late 2nd to mid 3rd. Reliable sources when it comes to the draft? not really, but they do give a feel for the rumors floating around and like all rumors there's usually some fire there somewhere behind all that smoke, but you never really know for certain where that fire was...unless someone writes a memoir about the draft somewhere down the road.

That said, we do know where the other QB's taken after Hackenberg were drafted. This is an era where it has never been a better time to be a QB in the NFL (both in terms of pay and the rules of the game) and there has never, in my memory anyway, that there has been a time where 50% of the teams in the league had at best marginal QB's penciled in as their starters. Granted this is a subjective view, I haven't gone through league rosters for the past 30 years to see if there was another time where the league was so hungry for QB's, so it may be inaccurate.

We live in an era where a QB with a guy with 305 pass attempts and 11 TDs to 6 interceptions and 7 starts in a 4 year career gets a 4 year 72 million dollar contract with 37 million guaranteed. He's not the first low start veteran to get a big contract. Matt Flynn got a 20+ million dollar contract (if I recall correctly on the amount) based on 314 career attempts in 4 years with 12 TD's and 6 interceptions....eerily similar actually.

I'm not knocking them for signing the contracts, hell if Someone offered me 20 million I'd sign and I couldn't throw a 20 yard pass, let alone complete one, at this point in my life. But I'd damn well take the money and shout 'suckers' on my way to the bank. Not saying OSW won't be successful, I don't know. But 72 million based on 305 attempts? that just shows how desperate the NFL QB situation is, and has been for a few years now.

Why do I bring this all up if I'm not knocking the players? Simple, There is a reason in a QB hungry league that all these 'Great' prospects dropped to the 4th round or later even. I'm not going to conjecture as to why they drop, but we're talking about a time where QB's are being drafted earlier than they probably should be in many cases. so the question that needs to be asked is why are these guys dropping to the 4th round or lower if they're such great prospects? Teams consistently over reach on QB's on every level.

Personally I kind of put the blame on College Football for the current Dirth of NFL quality QB's..but that's another story...the reality is in a QB hungry league if a guy falls below the 2nd or 3rd round there's a reason that all those teams passed over them so often. It doesn't mean they can't be good NFL QB's, but they're viewed as high risk for some reason...such high risk that NFL teams will pay 10-15 million a year for QB's with less than 10 starts and no real track record.

Venting over.

16. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

If the Jets like Hack then thats fine with me. But they reached for him. They should've traded back , and reportedly tried to pretty hard before "settling" for him at 51.

Its a bummer than Spriggs , Reed , Henry and Nick Martin were taken so close to where we picked , otherwise I think a lot of teams would've traded up to snag one of those guys.

But whatever , Mac now has his QB , which limits us for next year in a better draft for QB's. If we somehow go 3-13 this year and have the ability to draft Watson , Mac is going to look like a buffoon.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Next year's draft class? Is there even one?

TNJet likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

IMO it makes little sense for a GM to consider going 3-13 and getting the opportunity to draft a QB who might not even be a top prospect in a year from now.

19. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Well if Fitz doesnt come back that type of record is very realistic to me. A GM usually bases his job on selecting a QB high , Tanny with Sanchez , Idzik with Geno , now Mac has his guy. Personally if I was gambling with my job I would've went with a more polished guy , and he also easily could've waited another year or two to pick a QB since you can either turn to Fitz for another year or play Geno for the year to show fans once and for all what he is , since some need that assurance for some reason.

Also it seems like with every interview he does he mentions Petty less and less , so a 4th round pick last year was pretty much wasted and now a 2nd rounder is held in limbo for the next year or two depending on how pro-ready Hack gets.

20. 1968jetsfan

I disagree. You're not married to a 2nd round pick, especially a 2nd round QB where the bust rate is 75% or so. (Bust rate meaning not at least a league average starter). If the Jets wind up with a top 5 pick next year and none of the QB's on the roster have stepped forward then the Jets draft a QB in the first if one is on the board for them. Plain and simple, if the QB class is as good as projected...but then again this years draft class was looking pretty good this time last year so who knows).

Now, if the Jets say start Geno this year because Fitz doesn't come back, or Fitz comes back and returns to his career norms, and the Jets go 0-11 then bring in one of the young QB's and close out with 5 wins and the QB looking good then they probably don't draft a QB in the first, good chance they have their guy and don't need to.

But regardless, the Jets are not married to any of their current QB's.

TNJet and FJF like this.