Macc on Michael Kay Show 5/2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vokab206, May 2, 2016.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He never actually said that.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

If we were the Patriots.

_

CONN-JET.2.0.3. and SonofDinger like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I would be absolutely stunned if they did that. If Fitzpatrick signs they will cut Geno Smith early in camp, probably in the 1st round of cuts, to give him a chance to sign on somewhere else. Macc has been doing right by players and this would be another example. Faking an injury to a young player to shut him down for a year and locking Geno Smith into a bogus situation like that would not be doing right for both guys.

Geno Smith is either starting week 1 (with no Fitz) or cut early in TC.... that sounds crazy but its actually not. That scenario happens to fringe QBs every year because that's how organizations do things. If I had to bet I bet they do sign Fitz and Geno Smith is looking for a new team in 2016. Not the worst thing in the world if you are a Geno fan, he needs a fresh start somewhere else anyway

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

It's an option that I wouldn't rule out. But the most likely scenario is Geno getting cut if Fitzpatrick is signed.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Thats really the only way to read the situation, unless mac thinks he can sneak petty onto the practice squad. But its either petty or geno and mac has no stake in geno.

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If Fitz is resigned the question of who they cut comes down to how they feel about Petty. The problem for Petty is its unusual for a team to carry 2 developmental QBs in him and Hack. The Hack pick seems to say either say they are ready to move on from Petty or that they feel he can be a viable back-up this year. The big question is does the FO and CS feel comfortable with Petty as the back-up? It comes down to how much progress has Petty made. If not then Geno will stay and be the back-up and Petty will be gone or on the PS. There is the remote possibility of carrying 4 QBs into the season then putting Petty on the PS a week or two into the season later promoting him to protect him at the end of the season if out of the playoff race.

8. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

IMO, it would be stupid to cut Geno if Fitz is resigned. Neither Petty nor Hack are ready to take the reigns if the starting QB were to go down. Geno will be backup and Petty will go to the PS.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There's no chance Petty would make it to the PS. He'd get claimed in a heartbeat.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I just don't see the FO dumping a 4th round pick from a year ago for a leftover from the previous regime if they have Fitz. Unless he's Johnny sucks at football off the field it's not happening.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The counter argument to that is whether the front office is willing to have a back up with 0 starts going into the season. I am leaning towards your thinking but the other option wouldn't shock me either

12. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I know you guys are going to say you like Geno that why your say this but it has nothing to do with it. I can't see Geno being cut for the sake of Fitz injury history. Only how I see that happening is if Hack just blows them away in TC. Just for the record I like Hack better then Geno.

13. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I don't put people on ignore. It funny to watch how your life is this message board.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We are already 2 mil over the cap, we would need to cut a lot more than just Smith in order to sign Fitzpatrick.

15. NJJets20

NJJets20 Active Member

It was the Cowboys that offered to trade up to our first round pick. Makes me feel better that Mac and the front office feel so strongly about Lee that they didn't even entertain the trade and make a counter offer.

The Cowboys offered their second round pick (#34) and their third round pick (#67) for the Jet's first rounder (#20) in an attempt to trade up for Paxton Lynch.

16. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Panthers drafted Cam the year after they took Claussen in the 2nd round. Wouldn't rule out anything with this regime, in a good way.

17. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

I think when all is said and done it will be Fitz/Petty/Hackenberg to start the season. If Fitz goes down, they will add a vet off the scrapheap to start as a few teams did last season (Cleveland, Dallas, Houston). They will not keep Geno around as insurance nor roll with four quarterbacks on the active roster.
    This is not the Rex/Tannenbaum Jets. I do not see Mac and Bowles rushing the young QBs to play before they are ready.

18. Don

That was an atrocious offer, Dallas should have been laughed out of Chicago for even attempting that. Now if they offered that AND their 1st next year it would have been fair.

19. NJJets20

NJJets20 Active Member

Apparently they offered that to every team between 18-24 and all of them shut it down. There was a great article on the MMQB about their entire draft and the different trades they tried to pull off and the players they targeted. Great read to get a little insight into a draft room for an NFL team.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/01/nfl-draft-dallas-cowboys-war-room-jerry-jones-peter-king

20. Don

Actually one the 35 and next years 1 would have been ok..what I hated about that offer was they had already had one 1st round pick which they got a great player with and now they wanted to steal another.