Darron Lee

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 28, 2016.

1. tbdaghost

tbdaghost New Member

So you think he's a special teamer lol. Daniel Jeremiah had him as 11 overall and had this to say about him

Lee was a two-year starter at linebacker for the Buckeyes. He has an ideal blend of instincts, speed and playmaking ability. Against the run, he is at his best when he can run/chase from the back side or shoot gaps and attack. He will aggressively take on lead blockers but there are times where he gets swallowed because of his lack of girth. He is an explosive, reliable tackler. He has stopping power. He is very valuable in the passing game. He is a dynamic blitzer and he's instinctive as a zone dropper. He has the speed and agility to run/mirror backs and tight ends. He has a knack for splash plays, including returning picks and fumbles for scores. Overall, Lee is an ideal 4-3 weakside linebacker prospect that should stuff stat sheets very early in his NFL career.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He's a terrible tackler so we have that going. Its like Demario davis 2,0 except he's smaller. Jeremiah never heard of him. Is he a scout or one of those stupid on air pundits that get it wrong EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

3. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

I hope he bulks up...looks kind of small to me.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

mo isn't traded though, harris will be on the field on run downs, and we also picked up McLendon.. not a bum at all.

5. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

Not sure how to feel. Hopefully he's a consistent starter for us and plays well

6. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

He is a former nfl scout you arrogant douche. Most mocks had him as a top 15 pick.

7. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

No, he's not. He put on weight and maintained his speed. His D coordinator from Ohio State that is now coach at Rutgers said he has the highest upside of all off the Ohio State players that were drafted in the first round.

almbleamal likes this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He's small.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Key word there former scout. Hey next time you read a mock draft and the guy that get's the first 10 picks right come back and talk about it. Top 15 for a tiny linebacker? Yeah right.

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Although most analyst's had him as a top 15 pick, i can't say that i knew too much about Lee before becoming a Jet. What i did know heading into the draft, was that Ohio State defense was absolutely loaded with 1st round talent. There were NFL scouts down right gushing over Ohio State's defensive talent heading into this year draft. I'm excited just knowing that we drafted a kid from their program. Wishful thinking but hopefully Bowles and Macc just drafted us the NFL gem of that Buckeyes defense. I've read the conversations of him being undersized. Doesn't appear as being the edge-setter we're looking for etc but hopefully his speed, quickness & overall athletic ability can translate into causing havoc while playing alongside a veteran IMLB in Harris as well as behind power-house lineman in Wilkerson, Richardson & Williams. He's most definitely surrounded by top notch front 7 talent which imo puts him in strong position for success as a rookie. Maybe he is too small to set the edge as an OLB, but maybe he's the playmaker in which we needed out of Quinton Coples. The speed of the game is changing. Maybe the plan is to use this kid all over the field as an athletic athlete. Dropping back into coverage. Being the sideline-to-sideline IMLB alongside Harris. Rushing the QB from the outside within blitz packages during obvious passing situations etc. After the draft i went over to the Buckeyes official fan forums. They already had a thread about Lee going to the Jets. Lots of their alumni/fans were considering Lee as a freak of nature talent wise along with being one of Ohio State's all-time great LB's. They were proud of this Lee kid. Loved what i was reading. I can't predict this kids future but I'd be lying if i said i weren't anticipating being able to see this kid perform surrounded by all of this N.Y talent on defense. We have Pryor. Mauldin. Richardson. Williams. Even Wilkerson is relatively young. Here's to Lee becoming another young nucleus of young talent for many of years to come... I like the pick.

Jetaho likes this.
  12. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

One thing's for sure: We were fucking abused by the Bills and Eagles last year (and in previous years by the Pats) by pulling guards and those stretch runs. Demario Davis couldn't take the good angles to save his fucking life and Harris was too slow to the point of attack. Lee hopefully is athletic enough to contort his body against Olineman, take good angles, and prevent this from happening again. This has been our weakness (along with short mid range passes to rb/Tes) and it looks like Bowles/Mac are taking steps to prevent it.

MenOverGod, boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Lee and Bruce Carter going to be so athletic in open space.. The middle of the field is not safe for our opposition. They both are capable of jumping any pass over the middle and even taking it home for 6. Bruce Carter also had that 4.49 speed coming out of college. They play very similar. Carter is always at the right spot at the right time. When we run that nickle they'll both be on the field in the middle... PROSPERING!

14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

a couple things....

1) most of these mock drafts arent based on talent. they are based on these analysts having sources withing football teams who feed them info about who is high on whose board. its who they think will go where based on what they gather from sources, along with some of what they have seen.

2) im not sure how he can call lee an explosive or reliable tackler. its his biggest weakness outside of size

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Darron Lee is the next Gholston!!!!!

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If he can cover the wheel route, he has a place on my team.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

For those decrying Darron Lee's size, he's exactly the same height and weight that Ray Lewis was coming out of Miami in 1996.

NCJetsfan, Axel3419 and Jets81 like this.
  18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

And what makes you say that so definitively? Another pundit's (PFF) opinion? Personally, I give Jeremiah's opinion a bit more weight than yours because of his experience, but player evaluation and predicting future success is next to impossible, so his and your opinions are just that.

I love the idea of our defense getting faster with guys who can fly to the ball, and I'm surprised that it's taken so long for defenses to adjust to the matchup-dominated schemes being used by teams like the Pats. A "tweener" like Lee could certainly excel in coverage, cleaning up behind a dominant DL, and blitzing. Like any draft pick, I'm hoping for the best.

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Big Mac just confirmed in a Michael Kay interview that the plan is for Lee to develop into that Bucannon MB role.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

This guy's gonna be great for us. We know he's not Dick Butkus. You sound like you have no idea about the role TB envisions for him or the trend that the NFL is taking in the make up of personnel and schemes.