In Chan We Trust

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 29, 2016.

1. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

What gives me pause is that Gailey is a spread offense OC, much like the offense he had the last two eyars in Happy Valley. Where he sucked.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Didn't Petty play in that offense?

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Kevin Patullo is supposed to replace Chan.

4. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Gailey can run more than one offense. I doubt he'll even be the OC when Hackenberg plays, maybe for a year or two at most.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jay Fiedler would disagree with you.

P.S. I was told Dan Henning has been out of work for the past six years. If you want Erhardt/Perkins system installed, why not try him? [Good luck with that.]

#45 Zach, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Jets69 likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Geno's not eligible for the practice squad. He has too many games on the active roster to be used that way. Petty wasn't active last year so I think he's got practice squad eligibility left. If you have an accrued season, meaning you were on the game day roster for at least 6 games in a season you are not eligible to be placed on the practice squad. It's not a place that a team can stash veterans, just a place they can put developmental prospects not good enough to play yet.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Also any player we try to put on the practice squad can get claimed by another team. Mostly that isn't a worry but I think someone would claim Bryce.

Br4d likes this.
  8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Spread formations yes but his passing concepts and route tree is pro style.

He likes to isolate defenders and keep the box limited so it opens up the run game.

You won't see jet sweep fakes and options and 15 bubble screens a game from Gailey

Walt White likes this.
  9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The only problem with that is Rosen and Hackenburg have very similar freshman year numbers.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I wonder if chan will work him more from under center than he does with fitz.

11. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

What ever happened to the compitition at every position mantra? Whoever wins should start, no more sitting QBs, just because they are rooks or not proven.

Wilson won out in the qb compitition, he turned out ok.

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If Hackenberg clearly looks like the best QB on the roster then he'll play. Except if Fitzpatrick is signed because Bowles is too comfortable with him to make a change outside of him being out of this world awful. Whoever looks the best in camp/preseason that's who will play, assuming Fitzpatrick doesn't return and he probably won't.

13. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

it really depends on a few things:

1) who is on the field when Hackenberg gets to eventually start? if he starts year 1 he has some nice skill players but, as of a now, a pretty average offensive line with a weak right side in pass protection and no depth(big issues if mangold or clady go down). if he starts year 2 or 3 are marshall/forte here and if they are how much do they have left in the tank?

2) how do they handle him once he starts? is it his team for 4 games? 8 games? 16 games? or are they looking to hand it to petty if he has a tough 3 game stretch? its nice to say we will preach patience now, but woody is a puppet and the second the media or fans push him he will fold like the lawn chair he is.

those are my questions. i think if he start at some point this year, and they give him a long leash, thats his best bet

14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

only jets would pass on Rosen to take a fullback.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, the Jets could put Petty or Hackenberg on the practice squad but they would lose either one almost instantly. Geno is not eligible.

I suspect that if Fitzpatrick signs with the Jets they will try to trade Geno and then Petty and failing both they will probably cut Geno at the end of camp.

LAJet likes this.
  16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Geno will start.

And Jets will be gunning for #1 pick overall.

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I never worry about reaching with QB's. IMO, if you identify a QB you like you have to go and get him. You can't run the risk of another team swooping in and grabbing him. Just to risky.

I didn't watch Hackenberg a lot in college. But I see what the CS likes. He's got all the physical tools and the football IQ to be successful. But he wasn't at PSU after his freshman year.

We all know the Jets are banking on the belief that PSU let him down and that had he been under different circumstances he would have been talked about as a much higher draft pick. It could be a huge steal if the Jets are right. We'll see.

Walt White likes this.