Welcome to the Jets Christian Hackenberg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 29, 2016.

1. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

IT's sad that Mike Nugent was one of our best 2nd round picks of all time LOL!!

2. RexLuvzSnax

RexLuvzSnax Member

Slow clap

3. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

hack has the talent to be elite , and he is tough i prefered OL but respect that we take a chance on finding a QB he is better then Geno thats for sure

june19 and egelband like this.
  4. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

What secret meeting? They probably talked when Macc worked there in O'Brien's first year. Or some of his scouts talked with O'Brien before coming here, especially with Houston looking for its franchise QB then too. It's not as if they only do due dilligence on seniors that particular draft year.

#604 NYJFan10, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

At least he still plays.

june19 likes this.
  6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Explain his disaster at the combine then.

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I dont know how to link it from my tablet, but there is a YouTube video of a guy going through Hacks awful game against Temple. It's a very interesting guy and the guy is clearly a knowledgeable football fan. Might help talk some people off the ledge.

Here it is:

Edit: nvm this has been shown a lot

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

#607 jcass10, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Cidusii likes this.
  8. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That's exactly who I think of, guy had all the tools but was just not a good pro QB. I remember him getting on his knees at the 30 yard line and throwing the ball 80 yards through the other goal post (maybe I'm exaggerating a little but but guy had a howitzer attached to his body) . I think Scott Zolak is an even better comparison.

I hate when I'm seeing people say he's Chad Pennington with an arm... that's a terrible comparison. They are both cerebral and that is where the comparison ends. Pennington was extremely accurate, didn't take a ton of sacks in college , was very mobile and was a true leader and winner. Pennington's numbers were off the charts at Marshall and his completion % as a senior was nearly 15% higher than Hackenberg as a senior.

The way some people are talking about Hackenberg you'd think they were giving you Peyton Manning's scouting report if Manning had bad coaching in college.

9. Barry the Baptist

I tend to think of myself as a level headed poster but this pick makes me hate the game, I don't see things as aww shucks we missed on a 2nd rounder. It's the perpetual pattern of missing on a 2nd rounder year after year after year after year. Mac restored my faith a little bit with the Jenkins pick who I like a lot but I think this was a bad pick. I'm tired of drafting guys with potential and intangibles, we never draft a true franchise QB and maybe that's because we don't suck enough year in and year out to be in position to do so but every QB we draft is a project. Sanchez wasn't supposed to be but he was, Pennington for as good as he was in college wasn't a franchise guy right out of college and if we remember was about 6 games into his second year before he started and Herm had doubts about keeping him there after the Chiefs game.

I don't like the pick for a variety of reasons and nothing personal against Hackenberg because nobody wants to be right when you think the QB your favorite team drafts sucks but IMO this is the type of pick that can set the franchise back for years. We now have 2 QB's who are projects and Geno. Until that changes that's how it is. If Hackenberg never turns into this franchise QB we have nothing with an aging roster and no youth on the OL and our DL coming up with expiring contracts. Idzik completely set the secondary back years and Revis maybe has another 2-3 years before he's done and again no real replacements in site. You cannot continue to miss on high picks i.e.; Milliner, Gholston, Coples, Wilson and hope to win.

10. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I hope he's right.

11. Barry the Baptist

This pick sends a message to me that they don't see him as a potential starter. Word is they were targeting Hackenberg for months which again leads me to believe they don't see him as a solution.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

You and me both man.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

13. Zafara

Zafara New Member

For you, this selection means we don't believe in Brice Petty ??? We dont think he can be starter more a 80%. If it's that, i understand. If not, this selection is truly a shitttttt

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Now I read that Hack's hands are small. My question: did they shrink since he was 18 and ran the New England style offense for Bill O'Brien? I am warming up to this. I also like that the kid did not kill his second coach or his awful O Line or his average receivers in the Gruen tape, even though it seemed Gruen was baiting him to do so. Plus I am sure Gailey wants him and Gailey has shown he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. He has done it twice with Fitz.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

And there is one other thing to worry about with Hack, although I agree with a lot here: you have to wonder if he has had the stuffing knocked out of him these last two years. David Carr syndrome.

16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I don't agree. Even if you think Petty could be great, you keep drafting QB's until you know for sure. You have to keep looking.

If both turn out to be good, you either have two good QB's, or you have good trade bait.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I literally don't care about the combine at all. The coaching staff had put him through a private workout and after that they had him rates high wnoughenough to pick him in the second.

You've got to realize Mac and the CS have seen him a lot closer than any of us.

18. NYJFan10

To be fair I think he got criticized for doing just that (with the coaching/system) during the draft interviews.

Yep...here it is:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ackenberg-james-franklin-penn-state-nfl-draft

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I guess Mac is taking a page out of Ron Wolfs book... Draft a QB every year till you find one philosophy..

Hope it works...

It seems our 2nd rounders never pan out.. We need a little luck on our side

Cman68 likes this.
  20. NYJFan10

The only thing about anything at the combine that would concern me is missing throws with literally zero pressure or coverage, throws any QB should make in their sleep. Most of the other combine stuff is just filler though - the Wonderlic test, the measureable tests and junk like that.