themorey's 2016 Mock Draft #2 of 2

Discussion in 'Draft' started by themorey, Apr 24, 2016.

1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

My first mock: http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/themoreys-mock-draft-1-of-2.86538/

This draft is about trades and getting more picks.

Trade-1: Muhammad Wilkerson to Tennessee Titans for picks 43 (2.12) & 45 (2.14) of the 2nd round. The combined value of these picks would be equivalent to a 1st round pick in the 17-18 range. Add in that Tennessee has a lot of picks from their trade with LA, they run a 3-4, and have $29M in cap space.

Trade-2: Jets trade 1.20 to Cleveland for #32 (2.1) and #65 (3.2). The players I would want at 1.20 will probably be gone (Floyd, Ragland, Lee, Treadwell) and Cleveland has a ton of picks so they can afford to target a player and move up. Maybe they fall in love with Corey Coleman or Josh Doctson and just have to have them, or maybe its Paxton Lynch. There are rumors of the Browns trying to move back into the 1st round and they have lots of picks to make it happen.

My Jets 2016 Mock 2 of 2:

2.1 (32 from CLE): Jason Spriggs, OT, IND
    [​IMG]
    I don't know much about Spriggs (#78) but word is he has nimble feet and projects to be a LT in the league. In the video clip above he does a really good job of fighting through the scrum and sprinting downfield to block a LB in open space. That type of play showcases his athletic ability pretty well. I think his tenacity will let him come in and play RT initially while we ride out Clady. (NOTE: Jets brought him in for a Private workout)

2.12 (43 from TEN): Noah Spence, OLB, EKU
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sold on Spence as a 1st round pick but I think he would be tremendous value if he's available at this pick. He doesn't have great combine #'s and his "off the field" concerns are well documented but I would rather have Spence than other projected round 2 OLBs like Correa, Fackrell or Calhoun. I believe he has more skills and tenacity than those guys, as he shows off in the video clip above. He doesn't get the QB but he forces him to throw it away after being initially stood up by the RT, showing good recovery and pursuit. Plus he has personally seen what happens when you hit bottom and he fought his way back. I like that in a player. (NOTE: Jets interviewed him at the Sr Bowl and brought him in for a Private workout)

2.14 (45 from TEN): Tyler Boyd, WR, PITT
    [​IMG]
    A repeat pick from my first mock, not only is Boyd an accomplished WR but he's also a very good punt returner, which also fills a big need. He is known for solid route running and having hands like vice grips, both of which are on display in the video above. The NFL scouting site compares him to Keenan Allen and Jarvis Landry. Gimme gimme gimme! (NOTE: No known interactions with Jets)

2.20 (51): Deion Jones, LB, LSU
    [​IMG]
    Another repeat selection and 1 of 2 "must get" selections. He brings 3 things we desperately need: 1) Speed - he ran a 4.4 at his pro day; 2) Coverage - On display in the video above; 3) ST - While waiting for his chance to start he excelled on ST. He is on the small side at 6'1" 221lbs but he will be able to contribute right away at least in the big nickel package or when we run a 4-3. (NOTE: Jets brought him in for a Private workout)

3.2 (65 fro CLE): Nick Vannett, TE, OSU
    [​IMG]
    My 3rd straight and final repeat selection and my 2nd of 2 "must get" selections. The OSU offense doesn't throw to the TE so his numbers are pedestrian but he showed off his skills at the Sr Bowl, Combine and Pro-Day. He will immediately help us as an inline blocking TE (video above), pass protection, and red zone (6'6" 260lbs). The thought of Vannett (6'6"), Amara (6'6"), Marshall (6'4") & Decker (6'2") in the Red Zone with Forte in the backfield makes me less concerned about who is throwing the ball. (NOTE: Jets worked him out at his combine and he came in for a Private workout)

3.20 (83): Nick Martin, C/OG, ND
    [​IMG]
    I don't like to think about the day when Mangold retires. Unfortunately the recent retirement of Brick has forced my hand and hopefully that of Big Macc. It would be nice to get a player we can groom for a few years behind an All-Pro so we're not scrambling to replace him. There's a chance Martin goes earlier but there's also a good chance he's available at this pick.
    (NOTE: No known interaction with the Jets)

4.20 (118): Christian Hackenburg, QB, PSU
    [​IMG]
    The first thing I'll say is that I'm not a huge fan of Hackenburg but he does have some skills to work with. I would absolutely not take him any earlier than this but he provides some pretty good value in the 4th. One of the biggest things I dislike about him is how he threw his coaches under the bus during the Combine interviews. But he shows moments like the video above where he slides in the pocket to escape pressure and makes a big time throw. IF we take this pick AND resign Fitz I think Geno is gone unless the coaches think Hack can clear waivers and make it to the PS. (NOTE: Jets brought him in for a Private workout)

7.7 (228 from DEN): Darius Jackson, RB, EMU
    [​IMG]
    Jackson will probably not last to this pick as he is currently projected to go in the 6th. He is a 6' 220lb RB with incredible speed and power (4.4 40, 41" vertical, 6.87 3-cone, 1.56 10-yd shuttle). Look at his ability in the video above against LSU where he breaks 2 tackles in the backfield including 1 from 2017 1st round LB Kendell Beckwith. Then he puts his head down and churns his legs for another 8-9 yards. This guy would be a steal here and I might even consider him earlier. (NOTE: Jets brought him in for a Private workout)

7.20 (241): Drew Kaser, P, TA&M
    [​IMG]
    Big leg on this dude who was an All-American and Ray Guy finalist in 2013 when he broke Shane Lechler's school record, which he broke again in 2015. Plus he makes a nice TD saving tackle in the video above. (NOTE: no known interactions with the Jets)

FlaJet, boozer32 and Freddy Mondo like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Something like this would be awesome. It's just not Jet like. We need to trade down if at all possible. We have too much age on this roster that will open up gaping holes next year, if not the year after.

I don't think there's anyway Spence falls that far. He's potentially a top 15 pick. This is sort of like a dream scenario.

Love the idea of getting a two-way tightend even of he doesn't prove to be a great receiver. Blocking from a tightend is vastly underrated by fans.

Big Cat likes this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I love it but half the picks won't be there at the selection.

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I don't like Hackenberg, but other than that this would be a great draft. Like the players and positions overall.

But I can't see anyone giving up two pretty high 2nd round picks for Mo. Trade down would be great too if possible but its usually wishful thinking. However after all the trading up this team has done in the past ten years, maybe they're finally due for a trade down!

5. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

This is insane. We are no way getting 2 twos this yr for MO. Best case scenario: a two this yr and two or three next yr.
    Spence and Hackenberg gone by your picks for sure. Vanett prob gone too

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think those trades are very likely, and think many of the players you took will already be gone at those points in the draft, but I LOVE the idea of them and most of the players you selected.

I especially love the Spriggs and Spence picks. I like the Jones and Martin picks a lot. I don't know much about Vannett, but love that you addressed the TE position and like your reasoning. I don't know much about Jackson or Kaser, but Jackson sounds like a steal at that point and love that you took a punter.

I personally don't like Hackenberg, but it looks like the Jets might. If they like him and take him, fine, I'll root like crazy for him.

I think Boyd is the only bad pick at least from the perspective of being a PR, which I strongly believe we need. IMO he will not be a good PR in the NFL. He's too big and too slow. I think you need to forget about what he did collegiately as a PR. The best PRs in the NFL are smaller, shiftier/quicker. He may be an excellent possession receiver, but I don't think will even return punts in the NFL except perhaps in an emergency situation.

I think this draft would be more realistic if you forgot about Boyd, and took Jones or Martin in Boyd's spot, then the other, then Vannett. Then with the additional pick take a player who has a legitimate shot to be a PR in the NFL.

7. themorey

NC do you think Antonio Brown is a good punt returner? I ask because his #s at the combine were almost identical to Tyler Boyd. My point isn't that Boyd will be the next Antonio Brown, only that #s in shorts are not the only factor. I think Boyd has the vision and short area quickness to be a PR in the NFL.

8. NCJetsfan

I haven't watched a single Steelers game since Brown has been a part of the team. Based on what I've read and heard about him, he's a star at WR. I honestly don't remember if I've ever read or heard anything about him as a PR. Based on what I've heard Brown is pretty fast, and I would think that's pretty accurate because I think he's scored a fair number of long TDs in his career and is a deep threat.

As far as Boyd goes, you may be right and it's very possible that I could be wrong. I've never seen Boyd in a game. I've only seen clips on the internet and have read about him here and elsewhere. I've seen him compared with Jarvis Landry. If that's accurate, then imo that isn't a PR type. I've also read that he has great hands, gets up to top speed quickly and has sharp cuts, which would seem to be in his favor as a PR. Those things are countered by the fact that he only averaged 8.8 yard per return in college, only had one PR for a TD, and:

and

and

and

That's not what one wants as a PR imo. A PR needs to be able to take it to the house on every play. He needs to have great hands, be quick, elusive, and also have above average speed. Boyd has pretty well below average speed for a WR.

There's no way I want him as our PR.

#8 NCJetsfan, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Guess you don't watch Jets games either becuz we played the Steelers two years ago

Just ... Holy shit man... Brown is possibly the best WR in the game right now and you don't know anything about him. Here's an idea stop posting bullshit opinions based on what you "heard" and watch some damn football.

10. NCJetsfan

I said that he's a star based on what I've read and heard. Here's an idea for you...STFU. What I say and do is none of your business. Not that it's any of your business, but very few Jets' games are shown here in NC, and even when they are shown, I can't always watch them because of work and family responsibilities. Some of us actually have lives that don't revolve around the NFL. I follow the Jets and that's it.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

When you post your opinions on a public board then they become everyone's business. I live in the South too, I'm fan enough to catch every Jets game, and if you even watched an occasional prime time game you would have seen Antonio Brown play multiple times. You're the one that needs to STFU. You write lengthy post after post, which is fine, except you constantly berating people that disagree with you and get called out for being flat wrong half the time. Now you admit you barely watch any actually NFL games. You're a joke, nobody cares what you read in the paper or heard on ESPN.

12. NCJetsfan

Whatever. I don't berate others for disagreeing with me, nor am I called out for being flat wrong half the fime. That's utter BS. You're a liar and a moron and nobody cares what you post. You contribute little to this board.

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

So you write this and then report my previous post as inappropriate. Lol

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Dude. To be honest, he's right, and although maybe a bit brash about it he makes a good point. If you openly admit that you barely watch any games, how can anyone take your opinions on anything football related seriously?

Jets4eva9011 likes this.
  15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Just my two cents.

You should only express your opinion if it is, in fact, your own opinion.

Not what you read or heard because it is no longer your opinion anymore.

It's just someone else's opinion that you are repeating.

Kind of the issue I have with some guys in the draft forum expressing "opinions" about prospects they've never seen and know only from draft guides and what draft gurus are saying.

If your opinion is based solely off of what you've read or heard, it's not your opinion.

It's ok to say you want or don't want a player based upon what you've read, but providing detailed analysis sounds a bit silly.

_

16. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

This is a pretty good draft, but I'm not sure how realistic it is. Spriggs looks like a huge boom or bust prospect to me. He has the athleticism and foot work to develop into a LT, but he needs to get a lot stronger to hold up at the point of attack. Just an FYI, the 2 tackles that Jackson breaks in that clip were attempted by #18 Tre'Davious White and #57 Davon Godchaux.

themorey likes this.
  17. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I'd take that trade as a Browns fan. That's the right spot to trade up to get a WR. You be much more likely to get Martin at 65 and Vannett in the 80s... There are too many teams that need a center this year. I could see a scenario with Spence making it to 43 but that would be a gift. Much more likely to et Decker than Spriggs at 32 I think but the overall concept I think is doable.

18. themorey

Good catch! I'll have Beckwith in my 2017 Mock.

jetfan59 likes this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Fills alot of needs for the Jets. Like the Boyd, Martin, Spence and Deion Jones picks. Not thrilled about Spriggs.

20. NCJetsfan

Why don't you like Spriggs? He's supposedly the 2nd most natural LT prospect in the draft. He's athletic. He just needs to spend time in an NFL weight room. He's probably underrated because he played at Indiana.

boozer32 likes this.