If Fitz Does NOT Resign (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by legler82, Apr 18, 2016.

?

Who would you want to start next season if Fitz does not resign?

1. Brian Hoyer

20.7%
  2. Geno Smith

56.6%
  3. Draft pick

22.8%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the well though out feedback. Very nice response. I don't disagree one bit. I would never profess that Geno would ever be a franchise QB. I merely suggest the drop off between Fitz and Geno is not nearly as big as some may like to think. But the money differential is massive and indegistible. I fully and categorically support going after our franchise QB, without him we will be forever limited to the middle of the pack.

SonofDinger likes this.
  2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Strong arm, prototypical size, athletic, and fairly mobile and he's shown flashes. I would like to see how he does in this system with these weapons.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

His stat line looked alright in his one start. His actual play in the game was much worse. A lack of game awareness, football IQ and pocket presence was on full display.

Sidenote on Geno and dating back to Sanchez. We went 6 years of starting between the two of them with an absolute putrid screen game. Bring in a quarterback with half a brain and wala! The pick 6's on the screens disappear. I'd much rather see Petty than Geno.

I can deal with interceptions on late throws over the middle, cornerback breaking on deep outs, blindside strip sacks. Young quarterbacks are going to commit those blunders. By year 2 though, you shouldn't be seeing 15 yard sacks on 3rd down driving us out of field goal range, running out of bounds before the line of scrimmage, screen pick 6's, scrambling 10 yards back on jailbreak blitzes, pick 6's on quick our predetermined reads, etc.

What you saw is what you get with him. The potential to make big plays down the middle of the field, and maybe with his legs if he sees the field correctly. Coupled with the rest of what I listed above, I'd take my chances with Petty and at least have a potentially competent game manager in there.

#63 Jonathan_Vilma, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    hwismer and RochesterJet like this.
  4. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

Fitz is all over Instagram with deck and mangold having a 'gay ol' time... He's going to sign, he wants to be here and he's got no other option

5. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

If fitz dosent end up under center. I wouldn't want to waste the money and time on hoyer... And we all know geno has no football IQ. If I have to watch that guy run out of bounds 10 yards behild the LOS I'm going to lose my shit (cut geno)

That being said I would rather develop petty or a younger player...

6. The 1985er

He came in the game cold after not seeing any live game reps in months. And I think you're wrong, besides the two awful decisions at the end of the game he looked fine.

He threw one interception on a screen pass so that means he can't throw screen passes? Geno was 4/4 on screen passes against the Raiders.

Seasoned vets makes those very same mistakes too and I don't think Geno does it many or less than anybody else. His mistakes just seem to be magnified.

Petty does have one thing going for him. It's that he hasn't been given the chance to make mistakes yet. And we know this fanbase doesn't have the patience to allow a QB to go through growing pains.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We're just going to end up talking ourselves in circles with this debate. Not to mention "besides two awful decisions" which basically halted the comeback that seemed very possible as the defense was getting some stops at that juncture in the game.

If he didn't make the crappy decisions as much as these seasoned vets you reference don't you think he'd have a starting job, or draw some interest around the league? I can't see anybody trading for him because he makes those mistakes. He got his two years, he protected the ball better in year 2, while the team went 4-12 and he was benched for Mike Vick whom couldn't give two shits about playing pro football anymore because Geno made the same boneheaded game managing decisions he did in year one.

If Geno were to get the nod next year for all 16 games I'd see around a 20/20 TD/INT ratio, 40 or so sacks and a 6-10 record. Petty could provide the same thing but we have no idea as you alluded to.

8. The 1985er

Lol what comeback? We weren't going to win that game, even if Geno played perfectly down the stretch. As for his mistakes he definitely makes his fair share, but again it's magnified, Geno doesn't put up enough points to offset his mistakes. That's the issue and seeing that he is a young QB I can tolerate mistakes if I see that he's progressing, and he has. I'm not going to speculate on who would or wouldn't trade for Geno because who knows, I'm not saying the guy is going to be great or he's the answer. But I'd like to see how he looks in this offense with these weapons.

FJF and King Koopa like this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Now that Geno has a year being in the system under his belt, the drop off should be less steep; Fitz's knowledge of Gailey's system was the biggest separator. Geno can further narrow the gap between them by eliminating the brain freeze moments. It's one thing to make a mistake trying to make a play like Fitz and all QBs do, but it's a whole other thing when you show a complete lack of understanding of the basic principles of the game. Geno also needs to so he can be effective while having to be more aggressive, another 10-15 TD season is just not going to cut it.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The Jets invested multiple picks, players and money on Sanchez, who up until joining the Jets played in nothing but the WCO. By the time they finally got an WCO OC in Marty, Sanchez had already wore out his welcome and just for good measure he got hurt before getting released the next year. So we never got to see him play a meaningful game in the system that made the organization think he was worthy of the 5th overall pick. Conversely, like the ass backwards fucks we are, Jets draft a Spread QB in Geno and have him run the WCO. As fate would have it when we do hire an OC in Gailey that incorporates the Spread in his system, Geno gets his jaw broken. Again, we don't get to see the marriage of young QB in the scheme that prompted the organization to spend a high draft pick on said player. It's a FUBAR cocktail of total incompetence, poor timing and bad luck. Only the Jets.

#70 legler82, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  11. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Geno......

12. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Him or Hackenberg, but neither can start immediately

13. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

geno doesnt make his fair share of mistakes, he makes tons of them... and whats worse. is he constantly makes the same msitakes. there is a reason he is the worst qb in football and the reason the jets are looking at every option BUT him.

14. The 1985er

His mistakes are magnified and he's far from the worst QB in football. There are vets that make the same mistakes over and over but many of them put up points to offset the mistakes. If Geno can score more points then it'll be tolerated to a certain degree. Geno hasn't proven much so of course it makes sense to explore different options, but he's definitely in their plans probably their plan B.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. DrM

DrM Member

Are you sure it isn't Plan 9 From Outer Space?

16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Pretty much this...rookie and 2nd year Geno can be much improved due to a better system fit, better work ethic and Geno being humbled, better coaching, natural maturing, better team and weapons around him

It's not crazy to believe that...obviously he has to go out and prove it

Him and Petty should be given a chance to compete with any vet we sign...not placed as the starter but given a chance to win the job

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

This leads me to believe that they have a deal worked out already and just have to clear cap space to put it in motion.

18. jerseyjay14

if he isnt the worst he is among the 2 or 3 worst.

geno doesnt put up points to offset his mistakes, which is why he is one of the worst. he brings nothing to the table to offset everything he takes off of it.

geno has proven he is terrible and will consitnetly make highschool level mistakes.

he isnt there plan B... or c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j or k. he is like plan double Z. look at all the guys they have consider and still havent considered geno

DrM likes this.
  19. jerseyjay14

doesnt really make sense, they could sign him and then create the space to get under the cap... and that would prevent fitz from talking to other teams

20. The 1985er

Lol at 2 or 3 worse. But anyway he's still a young QB so I'm willing to be a little more patient with him because of it. If we can't get a deal with Fitzpatrick they might turn back to Geno and sign a vet as an insurance.