Jets trade for Ryan Clady

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 9, 2016.

1. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Harping on "when healthy" is dumb and irrelevant. The Jets had a need at left tackle and they went out and got the best offensive tackle available for very little. End of story. They did the best they could given the circumstances.

This is a 17 page thread. I have no idea why. It seems that some people seem to think there was a superior move to be made.

2. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Good point why bother protecting Geno. You make no sense. You want the best players protecting the QB no matter who it is.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head with that last bit there. Never mind the fact that our GM went and got the best available player at the position we had a huge hole at... What are the alternatives? I understand people want to get younger through the draft but look at the ages of some of our best players. Couple that with the fact that you still can draft OL... that line of thinking just doesn't make sense to me.

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Sure, but you can't seriously compare the approach of Tanny and Mac.
    Tanny would always jump on the shiniest piece immediately available and as result would badly overpay for a declining player.
    Mac selects low risk / high reward solid guys and sticks to reasonable $$.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Absolutely.

What's the alternative? Going into the draft, absolutely NEEDING to take an offensive tackle and reaching for one or taking the wrong guy because you can't afford to wait? This allows the Jets to take the best player available.

6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Kinda but he didn't do it to draft the bpa..

At least Mac has a philosophy and plan behind his actions.

Attackett likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have faith in Mac's judgement. (Gotta work on my sarcasm...)

8. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Drafting BPA at 20 is not the same as drafting BPA in the top 10. The top 10 players may swap positions, but they are all pretty much the same on every teams board. After that the talent/value level evens out enough to draft for need if they are close.

Mac has shown he's not afraid to take damaged goods and try to make it work. He usually hedges his bets tho, so he'll either sign someone or he feels we have another option on the team. I don't mind the damaged goods policy, but we've been lucky so far with the picks, I expect he'll make a couple picks that don't work out.

9. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

This was a no brainier at this juncture in the offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alleycat9 likes this.
  10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U R aware the NYJs have been supposedly taking the BPP for the last 47 years & look where that plan got them:mad:

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm not too familiar with Cady, but i'm not too worried about his injury history. He's missed basically 2 seasons, one with a foot injury and one with a knee. And one of those injuries was non-football. So essentially he's played a pro-bowl level for 8 yrs suffering just one injury. Not as good a Brick, but not china-doll territory either.

13. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

If he can stay healthy it's a great move for the Jets. Fills an obviously big need. I wanted to see the Jets address the left tackle position even before Bricks retirement. I still wouldn't be opposed to drafting a tackle or guard early in the draft. It's time to rebuild the O-line

14. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Not if that GM, just won us a Super Bowl. He'd get the benefit of the doubt for about twenty years, if he had brought the Jets a championship.

15. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

If a certain somebody wasn't crying every other post about how inept the front office apparently is, this thing would be on page 3.

Freddy Mondo, alleycat9 and abyzmul like this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You know, I don't even rate the job Macc has done is as highly rated as a lot of people, but damn... sometimes you just need to call bullshit on a drunken fool with a bug up his ass.

Freddy Mondo and NYJalltheway like this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Who replaced Cady the All Pro LT when he went down with season ending injury? Did Elway start trading away picks? No, they moved Ryan Harris the RT over to LT to hold down the fort, he was not very good as a LT but they still managed as a CS to put together a game plan that helped to mask their defiencies at that position and they did it well enough that they won a SB.

So please stop acting like there are no other moves to be made, we can disagree with what the jets do and that's why there is a 17 page thread on this topic.

18. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

No one's saying there weren't other moves to be made. But, y'all acting like this was the worst move ever. It's an extremely low risk/high reward move. I swear half of you complain, just to complain.

19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

If we still go Left Tackle/OL Round 2, I won't be mad one bit.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  20. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

wtf is BPP lol