Jets Are Looking at McCown

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SouthBayJetsfan4life, Mar 23, 2016.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

If you could buy a Super Bowl, even once, most any team would do it. The Jets most certainly would do it. But even if you back load all your contracts and pay for the best free agents money can buy, there is no guarantee. Thats why what Tannenbaum did with the cap felt good for a few years but set back the Jets for a better part of 5-10 seasons.

My point was with so many guys at the twilight of their careers and with a highly ranked defense the Jets could be in the mix and should look to get those final pieces in place this year to make the push. Guys like NCJets disagree. I really dont care one way or another and have stated that I think Mac is doing a good thing not chasing players and letting the market come to him.

2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I've heard that, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Why sign a guy of RGIII's quality and then draft a top prospect with the #2 pick to boot? I can see where they would want that floating around in order to get a better deal for a trade up though.

3. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Because they're the Browns, nothing they do makes a lot of sense.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Raiders have a VERY young roster and to start the offseason they had a boat load of cap space to go along with it. Their core players have yet to hit their prime while all our core players are near the end or past their primes. We're not in the same boat.

The 1985er likes this.
  5. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Not to mention they have a solid QB

6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

RuJFan hit the nail on the head !

7. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

either geno or trade for glennon with tampa bay.
    if you can trade wilkerson to trade up for wentz, then do that.

8. legler82

I agree with everything except the bold. Tanny's bad contracts did not set us back for the better part of 5-10 seasons. We were in AFCCG in just a shade over 5 years ago. Contrary to popular belief Tanny is not responsible of every single bad thing associated with this franchise since that game. The best remedy for bad contracts is good drafting and/or landing that elite franchise QB. Until a GM accomplishes any of those things, we will continue to blame back loaded contracts for our woes.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Idzik and Rex had an opportunity to start the transition towards a new beginning and they screwed up royally.

10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

So if we're not in the same boat, who is in the win now boat and who isn't?

11. legler82

Absolutely, but they did not set us back 5-10 years; that's ridiculous.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. legler82

Off the top of my head, I'd say the following:

Broncos
    Saints
    Jets
    Steelers
    Cardinals
    Chiefs
    Bills
    Seahawks
    Panthers
    Patriots
    Bengals
    Texans
    Cowboys

Based on this offseason, I'd probably add the Giants. I can see how someone may want to add the Raiders and Jags solely based on the money they just spent this offseason. However, being that they are so young, I think they probably still have a year or two to add a piece here or there before they go to full blown win now mode.

13. legler82

I define a "win now" team as a team whose core players are in their prime or near the end. Core players are the guys you depend on to play well week to week in order for to win; guys that are not easily replaceable despite how much their play may or may have not declined. Think about that from a Jets perspective. That list includes a whole bunch of very old players: Mangold, Brick, Revis, Harris, Mo, Marshall and Fitz. As much we love to villainize Tanny, most of our core players are guys he drafted; the first 4 were drafted 10+/- years ago. It speaks to what a great job he did early on in his career, and how poorly he and and his successors have drafted collectively from that point.

#173 legler82, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Saints?

15. legler82

It's not based on results. They are, at least were, trying to win now; it just didn't pan out. Check out this article prior to last season:

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's funny, the first times I remember NC on this forum, he was whining like a girl about personal attacks.

Fast forward a couple of years, and that is his new basic strategy. 74 fucking nailed it.

NC comes in and gives his basic and mostly incorrect rebuttal of a post and belittles the poster and tells them they need to learn about football.

The poster replies with a good answer that often includes a link that completely destroys NC's rebuttal.

NC apologizes and totally denies any personal attacks.

NC finds a new post, rinse, repeat.

It's so much fun to watch.

17. legler82

My definition of "win now" sort of coincides with Football Outsiders "snap-weighted age" metric, which measures the average age of the players on a team based on which players actually played that season. For example, a player with 1,000 snaps counts twice as much as a player with just 500 snaps. That metric has shown that getting older/younger doesn't necessarily make a team better or worse. However, it does allow you determine the teams relying more on veteran players; hence being in a more "win now" mode on paper.

The 1985er likes this.
  18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It was a previous post by 74 to the one in the link, in response to the insults directed at himsef, that was really funny

19. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Why not all 3, if we can't re-sign Fitz?

That would be a nice group: Petty and Geno young with upside, while McCown can be a decent stop gap until a young guy emerges.
    I hope they get a deal done with Fitz, but if not, Petty/Geno/McCown would be a solid group to go into the season with (with the hope that Petty can win the job)

20. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

To me win now means in contention for SB, expected to make PO, be favorite to win conf title game.