Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

I don't think the Rams are in play for him at all. Not a better situation than here. Him against those NFC West defenses. No way.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Check the rumor mill. Rams have clear interest.

3. vokab206

I'm sure they are interested but I don't see them as a threat to lure him away from here.

4. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Fitz had a "monster career year" and managed 15th in the league in yards, 29th in completion %, tied for 5th with most interceptions, and 24th with rating. He tied for 10th with TD's, kudos to him. But largely he was mediocre and crapped all over himself vs. Buffalo with the playoffs on the line. So his career year would be considered middling to crappy to the rest of the leagues QB's.

I would take Fitz back next year, but zero chance and I mean zero chance I pay this guy anything close to what can be considered big money. If he knew what was best for him, he would sign a 3 year 24 million dollar contract with like 9 million guaranteed and stay with the Jets where he has weapons and the fanbases and coaching support.

PulseJet, Will-I-Am-Not and vokab206 like this.
  5. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

fwiw he had a ton of drops to deal with too and no tight end. We were literally the only team in the league that didn't have any sort of TE factor at all. This will change in 2016 with Amaro back.. And yes his completion percentage is not so hot but he usually is a slow starter to games before amping things up. He beat N.E. in OT. He led us down the field in that comeback to beat the Giants. We've got a good thing going with him and he needs to stick

What are the better options? Where can we do better? nowhere as of now.

6. forevercursed

Yea they are, it's L.A. and they're no longer the woeful 2-14 Rams of the Spags era. They're a palatable option for Fitz.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We really don't know, regardless when 1 door closes another 1 opens. Case and point this scenario.

8. vokab206

Chase Daniel off the market now too. Market shrinking.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It isn't "unappreciative." It's called being "realistic." $15 million is totally insane for a QB like Fitz. Yes, it was the best QB play we've seen in a long time, but as No Fly Zone said, that's more of an indictment on Jets drafting history than it is a statement about how good Fitz is. He wasn't extraordinary or great, just thoroughly competent. He's a journeyman QB with a limited arm, and whose reckless running style could get him lost for the season on any snap of the ball. He totally isn't worth screwing the cap up for 2-3 years to get another year of competent football. With the team losing Snacks and maybe Mo, and the tougher schedule, this team isn't going anywhere this year any way.

10. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

With his arm, the idea of throwing footballs in LA, SF, and Arizona in November and December vs the northeast, might not seem so bad.

11. vokab206

@ESPNNFL
    "There's a standoff there. Jets want him at a certain price. He wants more." - @AdamSchefter on Ryan Fitzpatrick

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Successful teams pay free agents for what they're expecting in future performance...... NOT for past results

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick had a great year for the Jets. 10 wins. 31 touchdowns. etc. No playoffs though. And lost 2 key games to a Rex Ryan team who was inferior to the Jets. Of course those losses don't fall completely on Fitz, but they play a part in negotiations. If he won those, took the Jets to the playoffs, then 1. More teams would be knocking 2. He would be offered more money. Pretty easy to see. Can't get paid like a Top QB when you don't play like one and played bad in a crucial do or die Week 17 game against an inferior team.

14. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Fitz Fitz Fitz smh just take the money offered cause nobody else wants you.

15. vokab206

@BobGlauber
    Jets do not believe there is a significant for Fitz and are willing to wait it out for a lower price

Cole also reported on March 2 that several Jets players want the team to add another quarterback to challenge Fitzpatrick for the starting role.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

fitzpatrick? wtf.

under normal circumstances I understand players going after the best deal they can. But when you are on your 6th team in 11 years, with the only offensive coordinator you ever had any kind of success with, on a team where you will be the starting QB, at some point doesn't it make more sense to recognize you have a good thing going for ONCE.

Why chase a couple extra million just to go somewhere with yet another system, different expectations, etc. Say he signs a big deal in Cleveland for example... if he fails like every QB has there in the last 20 years, he could likely be cut after the year and be out of a job so fast. Coming here and having marginal success, maybe it extends his career a little. At the end of his career the couple extra million evens out anyway.

I guess we dont know what the offers are but it seems like a foolish quest on his part

NCJetsfan, Brook! and ConcordeChops like this.
  17. vokab206

The longer it drags on the more it reminds me of Lin a few years ago. Except the Knicks didn't make him an offer.

18. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

Eagles really screwed the QB market with that dumb Bradford deal. However, Denver and Houston are the only other two teams that would be a decent fit for Fitz and they appear to be looking elsewhere. I think both sides cave a little and he gets a 2-3 year deal worth about 10 million per year.

19. forevercursed

If we add Amaro and another receiver through the draft, Fitz will probably improve on 2015. He threw for 31 TD's, ran for 2 more (rushed for 270 total which is solid, 7th among NFL qb's.

Guaranteed with Amaro and either the emergence of Devin Smith or if we FINALLY hit on a receiver in the draft, Fitz can combine for 40 total TD's passing/rushing

20. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Here come the dominos... If the Broncos really go for Kap and not Fitz we can go even lower on Fitz's contract.