Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out how a guy like Bradford has made 76 mil in guarantees ... SMH

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

#1 pick in the NFL draft as a QB before the new CBA. That was worth $50M guaranteed the day he signed his contract.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

That is not correct. Since I have been an NYJ fan they've actually won a bunch of games. Not nearly as much as I would like, sure, but considerably more than nothing. Brought a few hours of lightness and joy to my Sundays on the odd weekend here and there. It's probably a hard thing to explain to a bitter, maladjusted alzheimers patient, though.

#243 Dierking, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'd rather pay Fitzpatrick 14/15 million before I pay that to Brock, Fitzpatrick is much more proven commodity than Brock. If we lose Fitzpatrick and sign Brock he would have to compete with Geno and Petty.

5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

If Fitz walks in free agency, we still owe the Texans a 6th rounder in the draft right? That would suck.

6. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

If fitz walk in free agency we have a bigger problem than a 6th round pick

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

OK then tell us please in your NYJ lifetime when was the last time the NYJs won a AFCCG or better yet a SB? if that answer is never then sorry they have won NOTHING in your NYJ lifetime & that is the truest fact jack. If I am incorrect pls send the link that shows they won either of those 2 games in NYJ lifetime cause I know in my NYJ lifetime they have never ever won those games

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

it's an interesting thought u raise..
    if you had to choose between Cousins at 20M + 2 first rounders, Osweiler at 16M, or Fitzpatrick at 15M......what would you choose?

i'd have to go Osweiler in that scenario, and gamble on the youth, height, and upside he has over Fitz..

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Dierking

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope that all the other owners in the NFL are calling Lurie and excoriating him, reading him the riot act, and telling him he can forget their ever supporting him on anything, and that he can expect to get raped in any trades his team tries to make with their team. I hope they run him out of the NFL. Stupid bastard!

11. championjets69

Just as I expected dodging the issue of the NYJs ever won a AFCCG or SB in your NYJ lifetime. Winning regular season games means NOTHING if you do not win AFCCGs & SBs

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The thing you seem to be forgetting is that with Mo here, we can't and won't be signing ANY of those 3. There's no way we can pay Revis $17 million, Mo $15.7 million and a QB $14-$20 million per season. With Mo here, Geno or Petty will be our starting QB.

If we can trade Mo, then I'd give Osweiler that money, not Fitz.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Not winning a championship does not mean not winning anything.

Anything means any single thing. Not Any championship.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  14. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

If he hits the open market he's probably as good as gone the Jets don't have the cap space to work with and plenty of teams could use help in the QB dept.

15. Dierking

What is an "NYJs lifetime"? I was alive in January '69.

Are you dumb, or are you stupid? I used to be confused about this point, but now I'm not sure.

Brook! likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[QUOTE="championjets69, post: 3420991, member:][​IMG] [/QUOTE]
    The abridged version

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Yea I was kinda assuming we trade Mo because we might not have a quarterback in general if we don't

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Keep in mind what happened the last time Fitz got a big money cash contract. He looked good early on and the Bills went 4-2 (started 3-0). Then he got a big extension and the team only won 2 games the rest of the season. Was it the lack of pressure? Did his own contract psyche him out? Did he get lazy because he earned his payday? Or was the team fools gold?

These are big questions that the front office will be asking themselves when negotiating this contract. They could use some of that as leverage. I'm okay giving him more than 11m, but ONLY if it is incentive based. Do not pay Fitz like a QB entering his prime. Fitz is a workhorse but his style of play can lead to injury, like the thumb last season. If that didn't happen no Geno Smith against the Raiders. I think he needs an incentive based contract to get the most out of him.

NCJetsfan and DevTeam like this.
  19. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

Wilkerson is right - make him do it again. Remember, this dude has never made the playoffs and is a journeyman QB... irrational exuberance with a non-playoff season (10-6 though it may be) is a mistake. If some other shitty team wants to pay him 10M a year, let them and we can take our chances. There's no chance this guy is the future. He's a hold the fort kind of guy. Not worth mega bucks.

b.reyes16 likes this.
  20. championjets69

H'mm hopefully U know who Todd Bowles is & lo & behold here his recent quote

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 1h1 hour ago
    Todd Bowles on Jets' 10-win season: “It’s not a success because you didn’t win a Super Bowl" http://nydn.us/1lQXKKa