Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

If they sign Fitz I say we parry and sign Osweiler.

Screw you John Elway.

_

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Wow..what's taking so long signing our QB?...oh must be Valentines Day 3 day special weekend without the kids for the Fitzs

Don't wait till March 7th Mac

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For the same reason the Jets wanted Fitz when the had Geno Smith. Veteran leadership and ability to take over the team if need be.

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Okay, but there he would be a backup, here he is the starter (until someone better comes along.) If you were he, where would you rather be?

5. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

I don't want Fitz back. I want his supposed money to go to Wilkerson, one of the best DEs in the league and someone we should absolutely keep.

6. JStokes

And who plays QB?

_

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. milo

milo Well-Known Member

The backup!

Who else do we ever want to play?

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I cannot understand why any Jets fan would be so quick to move on from Fitz. We've been a QB poor franchise and Fitz just gave us the first good QB season since Favre's one year stay. Before then it was what? 2004 Pennington maybe? If not that, 2002 Pennington.

For fucks sake, you don't let a good QB walk without knowing damn well his replacement is already on the roster.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. JStokes

He's a Genobot.

_

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Elgoman has beard envy

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

there is a cost for everything though NSN. We've been a QB poor franchise yes, and Fitz gave us finally a good QB season, but that's a dangerous place to be.

I wouldn't want to let him walk without a decent replacement on the roster but at the same time I don't want to break the bank for him just because of that. How many teams have we seen go overboard and screw themselves just because their QB had one good year and they've been starved for QB play only to see that QB severely underperform, putting them in a bad spot? its particularly worrisome because that EXACT scenario actually happened with this same QB.

all things considered I would like Fitzpatrick back but if its going to take a silly number to do that, I don't want him back. I don't think it will take a silly number but I don't know that for sure

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I cannot disagree, and obviously the price has to be reasonable for both parties. It would be extremely disappointing from a fans point of view if the Jets couldn't reach a reasonable agreement for both sides. I'm sure Fitz's agent knows this.

13. BrowningNagle

I would hope a guy like Fitzpatrick who's played for everybody in the league practically would realize that he's finally got a good thing going here and it might not be savvy to chase the dollars yet again.

however - he did major in economics at Harvard... I'm sure "value" and "taking advantage of supply and demand" were in the curriculum. He also seems smart enough to realize that the NFL life is short and players should take advantage of every opportunity to make as much money as they can.

14. JStokes

100%. I love what Fitz did for us and I think he could easily repeat it for a year. And I think he's invaluable to Petty's development. And we don't have a decent replacement on the roster.

I don't want to pay him massive $$ but I don't think it's going to take that.

Not sure what's reasonable. Is it $15 million? $12 million? No.

$10 million? Probably. $8 million? Easily.

Folks suggesting he should get no more than $6 million are fooling themselves.

The problem is, we're so close to competing for it all, to let him go because of--lets say--$1 million-$2 million a year would set us back to a 6-10 team.

Folks suggesting they don't want him back and to give all his money to Wilk are just Genobots.

_

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Denver can afford to sign Fitz, but if they did, imo it would mean that they were moving on from Osweiler. They couldn't afford to sign them both, plus Miller and all the rest of their FAs.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

Idk Stokes. I dont think Fitzpatrick is the difference between 6-10 & 10-6 with this team. What I mean is, I think this team could find someone in an offseason that could replicate (or possibly surpass?) Fitzpatrick's output. I dont think we're so close to competing for it all, aka, Super Bowl with Ryan Fitzpatrick, also, who's never even been to the playoffs in his career.

there are guys on this team that are irreplaceable. that truly would make the difference between 6-10 & 10-6... Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Wilkerson, etc..I don't think Fitzpatrick is one of them.

personally I would be think long and hard about $10 million. And $8 million, although I'd probably sign up for that, wouldn't be an easy decision. The one or two million a year you describe could make the difference in bringing back a Damon Harrison or a Muhammad Wilkerson so its important no matter how you feel about Fitzpatrick-

I'm not going to kill Maccagnan if he lets Fitzpatrick walk

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. JStokes

I just looked at the list (again) and there is no one that is going to give us the cost/production that Fitz will.

Bradford, Osweiler, Cousins are all going to cost much more than Fitz and the rest of the guys are not any better than Fitz and Fitz has a full year in the program and has developed a relationship with the WR corp.

Again, I'm not paying him $12 million, but if it's going to cost us $8-10 million, I'm looking at what it's going to cost to replace him with someone not as good.

_

18. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

My reasoning is that Fitz is not a franchise QB, but rather a is a weak armed spot starter. Accordingly we need to see what Geno has before his rookie contract runs out. If Geno fails we should look to draft a QB in the top 10.

19. JStokes

Hahahahaaaaa.

_

20. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

You can laugh all you want but Fitz has been traded and released from every team he's ever been on because he is a weak-armed spot starter, not a franchise QB. Therefore I don't care to resign him. Woody had nothing but hidden criticism for Fitz in his latest interview so he likely shares my view. Fitz's money should go to Wilkerson. As for the QB, we need to find out whether Geno has improved enough to start here before his rookie contract is up.