Who else is rooting for former Jet, Jericho Cotchery to win the SB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Feb 2, 2016.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I'm cool with Peyton winning, but man it would be sweet for Cotchery to.

FJF, jetlife21 and Jets_Grinch like this.
  2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I feel like it has gone very under the radar. I was just telling my friends today I want Cotchery to get a ring, therefore I'm rooting for Carolina.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah, I'd like to see Cotchery get a ring before he retires. One of the gutsiest players to play for the Jets and always left everything on the field for us. No problems in the media. Nice guy.

He's up there with Joe Klecko, Wesley Walker, Curtis Martin, Wayne Chrebet, Bruce Harper and Shaun Ellis as my favorite all-time Jets.

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So what's the excuse for Sanchez not succeeding in Philly?Woodys fault to I guess?Sanchez is a fragile girl who can't overcome adversity and it showed up on Sundays every week

5. Br4d

Cotchery was let go because he was unhappy on the Jets. He didn't like the team chemistry here after the Jets started making a lot of commitments to me-first guys. Rex let that kind of stuff get out of hand and Cotchery wanted to go to a team-first atmosphere. It's no accident that he wound up on the Steelers. Their locker room culture at the time was almost polar opposite to the Jets.

MJK likes this.
  6. jco2007

jco2007 Active Member

They made it clear they had moved on from him, so he asked for his release. They basically brought in Plaxico Burress and Derick Mason to replace him, so he was like "alright, I'm out".

7. Br4d

I think it was an ongoing thing. I think the organization knew he wasn't happy with the me-first guys and they decided to make it easy on him to leave.

Nothing against the Jets here btw. Cotchery was getting into the age where a year too early is better than a year too late and Rex seemed like he had the formula. It's just the lockerroom went to hell when a few guys who had quietly held it together went away and few other guys on the "I'm gonna dance if I want to" plan arrived.

MJK likes this.
  8. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

More by default. Hope Manning loses

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He ended up being somewhat fragile. You would be too at 24 years old with New York on your back and lofty expectations.

Are you advocating that he should've been better replacing Cotchergy, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith with Derrick Mason (cut midseason) and Plaxico? Don't forget that the team rushing totals decreased by nearly 700 yards and the scoring defense went from 6th in the league to 20th.

Recipe to stunt a young quarterbacks growth. See: Kaepernick, Colin as well for a quarterback that struggled when the roster was flipped upside down.

10. Br4d

Really the Panthers have the edge on the Broncos the way the Seahawks did two years ago. It's not quite as pronounced a gap but it's there. I would not be at all surprised to see the Broncos get blown out again. I'd be very surprised if it went the other way in a blowout.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Except that wasn't expected to be a blow out for Seattle, and if I remember correctly Denver was favored.

If the Panthers don't hit a couple big plays they'll likely lose. Cam only completes 60ish percent of his passes and they struggled against Seattle to sustain drives in the second half despite being up a ton. It's a big reason why Carolina blows big leads and can be attributed to that as much as their defense gives up big plays

I don't see Carolina hitting those big plays like the huge run vs. Seattle, or the 75 yard TD pass to Philly Brown against Arizona. Denver's secondary and pass rush is too good.

That's essentially why I think it's going to be a much closer game than the entire world thinks.

Gotta wonder what Peyton Manning shows up.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-je...s-circus-atmosphere-that-chased-him-from-jets

Jerricho Cotchery had a bad feeling about the 2011 New York Jets, and he got out before things fell apart.

You remember that season, of course. It was after the Jets' second straight appearance in the AFC Championship Game. There was Rex Ryan's Super Bowl guarantee. The lockout summer. The crazy free-agent period. The monster contract for Santonio Holmes. The addition of Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason. It was Super Bowl or bust.

Not only did they bust, but the Jets turned into a hot, dysfunctional mess, ripped apart by dissension. Cotchery sensed the vibe in training camp, requested a trade or release and, four years later, finds himself playing for the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50.

"It wasn't about being disrespected. It wasn't about them signing other guys," Cotchery said this week at the Super Bowl, according to the New York Daily News. "I was taught the game was about the team. You enjoy lining up with guys. It wasn't about individuals. It was truly about the team and guys being selfless and happy for the next individual. Things started to change a little bit. I didn't think that was what I signed up for when I was younger. So it's time to move on."

It took a lot of guts to leave a team that was one game from the Super Bowl, but Cotchery is a man of principle.

"My time with the Jets I will always cherish and was just wonderful," he said. "I spent seven years there. My time had run its course."

Cotchery called it "a sad time in my life," but he signed with a solid organization, the Pittsburgh Steelers. He stayed for three years before going to Carolina, the ideal place to finish his career. It's where it began -- NC State.

He's one of two former Jets in the Super Bowl. The other is Denver Broncosbackup safety Josh Bush, a 2012 draft pick who played in 35 games as a special teamer. Wide receiver Stephen Hill, a colossal draft bust whose immaturity on and off the field still makes people at One Jets Drive shake their head, is on the Panthers' injured-reserve list.

The mere mention of Hill's name brings up bad memories for Jets' fans. Not so with Cotchery, a popular player among fans and teammates. He was a fourth-round pick in 2004, making him the oldest-drafted Jet still in the league. As a young pup, he received some advice from Curtis Martin, and it has served him well for 12 years.

"Curtis Martin mentioned it my rookie year that the best investment you can make as a football player is to invest in yourself," Cotchery, 33, said. "Whether that's taking care of your body and preparing the right way to be at your best on Sunday, that's the best investment you can make."

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

LOL...both might get a ring with Carolina.

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

OMG you are right haha

15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

JC was a good Jet never passed up a kid for an autograph or photo op

Brook! likes this.
  16. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

there was a lot of damage caused by the CLOWN. But, after one season, and hopefully with the start of the next one, we can move on and appreciate that the CLOWN is gone.

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This is a totally made up litany of bullshit.

Well done Brad.

You've outdone yourself.

_

18. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

It felt at the time like Cotchery was just bailing cause we signed so many receivers, now it looks like he was bailing a sinking ship. I still respect the guy but I have no special attachment to him winning.

MJK likes this.
  19. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Loved Cotchery....but i'll be rooting on Peyton Manning and his giant fetus head.

20. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

That's actually exactly how I remember it.

I was upset with him at the time for asking to be let go. But knowing the offensive chemistry after the fact and the type of person J-Co is, I really can't blame him. He is a hard worker and a good dude, he deserves a ring.